Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
  1.    #101  
    yeah it's like I think that the early adopter credit punished me this time around. I had to remove the UPC so now i couldn't have taken it back. Amazon won't credit you if the price changes you have to send it back to them and just re-order it.

I would be happy with a credit like what apple did or just a coupon off free apps or accessories. you set a time deadline for early adopters to get to use their $50 credit and they think they are getting a good deal and then right after that you give 100-200 off now to anyone.

We aren't talking product cycles here, I mean 30 days after launch you can get it 200 bucks off? wow that's a bit fast. 60 days, 90 days that's reasonable but it seems a bit fast for my liking that's all and from what I see I am not alone.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my touchpad and have been a Palm support since the 90s... it's not about hating or anything it's about keeping your loyal happy too.
    Last edited by firebymike1111; 08/05/2011 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebymike1111 View Post
    yeah it's like I think that the early adopter credit punished me this time around. I had to remove the UPC so now i couldn't have taken it back. Amazon won't credit you if the price changes you have to send it back to them and just re-order it.

I would be happy with a credit like what apple did or just a coupon off free apps or accessories. you set a time deadline for early adopters to get to use their $50 credit and they think they are getting a good deal and then right after that you give 100-200 off now to anyone.

We aren't talking product cycles here, I mean 30 days after launch you can get it 200 bucks off? wow that's a big fast. 60 days, 90 days that's reasonable but it seems a bit fast for my liking that's all.
    You cannot get it for $200 off reliably. If you think you can then go ahead and try. Then send that one back to Amazon in place of the one you sent in the rebate on already. You can let us know if it works out for you.
    Why are people mad at HP? These are separate retailers, allowed to allocate their own pricing.

You're that angry? Take it up with the retailer you went too.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebymike1111 View Post
    That time deadline hasn't passed yet. A lot of people misinterpreted (and some sites misreported) the information about the $50.

You had to have purchased the Touchpad before the end of july. You had 45 days (which hasn't passed yet) for the request to be postmarked:

From their website:

Savings: $50

Qualifying products: HP TouchPad 32GB

Purchase between: July 01, 2011 and July 31, 2011
    (Requests must be postmarked within 45 days of purchase date.
    return and re buy at discounted price
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    I had the $50 coupon but did not buy it early. I waited as I couldn't justify spending $599 after spending $699 for two iPad 1's a few months ago. On Friday, July 29th, I saw posts in this forum confirming that Costco was selling it for $479. I bought one from Costco on July 31st for $479. Am I going to return it so I can get some extra money off the price I paid? No. I'm fine with what I paid. Do I feel ripped off? No.
    hparsons and MobileBill23 like this.
    HP does have over $100MM in revenue but there's a reason Apple is about to pass them in revenue next quarter with greater profits. Only shared my experience as a marketer to qualify a different perspective regarding the bigger issues at play here for the team at HP. The marketing game is changing and I know HP bought Palm to try and keep up but they're having some real birthing pains that I really hope they can work through.

I'm no fan of Apple, I own a Zune for gosh sake, but Cupertino knows how to build and sell an ecosystem. Same goes for Google. It takes a completely different mindset than selling generic devices. Check out Natalie Villalobos at Google, or look up what Guy Kawasaki did at Apple, who is HP's counterpart for WebOS?

HP is great at moving units, but they don't build loyal user communities. And you need a loyal user community as badly as you need a developer community if you want to sell an ecosystem. Know anyone who is an inkjet zealot? Didn't think so. Didn't stop HP from selling billions, but it's apples vs. oranges from a marketing perspective.

The market research that HP has started that was mentioned earlier is a great start but I'm talking about active engagement with the community. Not paying folks to blog about using a Touchpad. Maybe those folks turn into a community but I doubt it.

The very existence of this thread shows that HP is obviously missing something here. We're the select few who ponied up the premium to be the first to own a Touchpad, why do some of us feel like we're getting burned?

Just sayin.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Here's my take on it: I don't fault HP for their pricing strategy, BUT the deadline they put on the early adopter rebate is problematic. They were telling WebOS loyalists that they had to buy before Aug. 1 to get their $50 thank-you rebate. The $100 rebate was made available to everyone else *five days* after their somewhat arbitrary deadline they set for their most reliable customers to purchase it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFlyer View Post
    Here's my take on it: I don't fault HP for their pricing strategy, BUT the deadline they put on the early adopter rebate is problematic. They were telling WebOS loyalists that they had to buy before Aug. 1 to get their $50 thank-you rebate. The $100 rebate was made available to everyone else *five days* after their somewhat arbitrary deadline they set for their most reliable customers to purchase it.
    And? My out of pocket price right now is $458. I purchased in July so I'm still going to send in my rebate. I purchased from an outlet that allows for price matching.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 08/05/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    True...

But, don't you think it was part of their plan?

They could extend a branch to the early adopters by extending that rebate.
    hparsons likes this.
    If its pre-planned, they are screwing loyal users big time, again

If its not pre-planned, they are a mess in marketing and making one after another desperate moves to compensate the failed price from beginning.

Either way, there is no good way of analyzing this. Its just sad, not only for HP, for webOS, and for users.
    firebymike1111 and Hobbz like this.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    hey, its been 2+weeks since the hard launch not a year or 10 months, of course people are going to be upset, let them rant and move
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagz50 View Post
    Take it from someone who's worked in marketing for almost 20 years

this has been marketingfail from the very beginning and I'm actually mad at myself for not recognizing it.
    I guess the 20 years in marketing didn't amount to much, eh?
    I'm guilty of a little marketingfail myself every now and then.
    I'm invested in WebOS, and I was way too optimistic about how WebOS was seemingly made for a tablet form factor.
    Ruby did get a lot right with the product itself, relatively open platform, great SDK and developer tools, Synergy, touchstone, etc.
    I just didn't see the forest for the trees, at least I don't have HP stock

As one of those early purchasers, I looked at it completely as a "thank you" from HP for buying the products early (which is what they said it was), not as an incentive to go buy one (since I had already bought when the rebate was announced). There were already lots of talk about better deals well before that purchase deadline was hit.
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/05/2011 at 09:50 PM.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    If its pre-planned, they are screwing loyal users big time, again

If its not pre-planned, they are a mess in marketing and making one after another desperate moves to compensate the failed price from beginning.

Either way, there is no good way of analyzing this. Its just sad, not only for HP, for webOS, and for users.
    And yet, most of the purchasers are OK with it. Most of the complaining is from folks that haven't bought!
    <thread moved>

...so the TP forum can focus on user to user support, and those that want to talk about HP marketing can do it here.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That time deadline hasn't passed yet. A lot of people misinterpreted (and some sites misreported) the information about the $50.

You had to have purchased the Touchpad before the end of july. You had 45 days (which hasn't passed yet) for the request to be postmarked:

From their website:
    Yes, but that's just the point. You had to purchase five days before the $100 instant rebate was announced. The instant rebate is a time of purchase thing, which presumably could not be applied to your purchase of a TouchPad five days earlier.
    I've rarely ever bought any piece of consumer electronics and not see it for cheaper a couple of weeks later. This is the norm for all electronics. Only Apple, with a high dollar following, can sell like they do without doing these discounts. Folks shouldn't covet what others get. Be happy with your purchase and just realize that if you would prefer to trade time with the device for a better deal, then you wait...patience is a virtue. My own Pre 2 was on sale at HP for $50 for a week or two, then went back to $100, then to $149, then back to $100. If I bought my Pre 2 two weeks ago, I would have had to pay Verizon $50. I got it for $5. I got lucky by waiting. Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose. Just be happy with your device.

And with places selling out left and right, HP is moving these things, which means lots of new webOS users. The TouchPad now occupies the number 2 and number 5 spot on Amazon's top tablet sales list. Be happy that developers will see a lot more customers out there and will bring even more apps.
    kjb86 and MobileBill23 like this.
    Bottom line should be:

Were/are you happy with the product before the new pricing? If the answer is yes, then quit dwelling on the past and move on. Forget about it.

If the answer is no, then you probably should have taken it back.

Ask me how happy I was when I bought my car for $30K and six months later I could have paid 24. I was pretty mad at first, but I got over it. I just had to keep reminding myself how much I liked my car.

It is what it is, make your own lives miserable or enjoy your TouchPad, it's that simple.

FYI OP... The term is Gypt.....a derogatory slang term for the Gypsies, who would nickel and dime everything to death. Gypsy originates from a Greek word for Egyptians.

The More You Know
    Last edited by sledge007; 08/05/2011 at 10:48 PM.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast