Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    This device is perfect for what i need it to do. WebOS rocks for me but to each their own. If you're not happy with it, find something that works for you. As far as it being abandoned, I don't see that at all. Just sayin.... :-)
    WERD!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I am sure everyone knows the price of TP will drop but not this early. well, few days after a month. So people who bought the TP on day 1 can't even return the product and get the better price TP or ask for price difference.
    If you didn't know this sale would happen this quickly then you don't know how HP markets their products and/or were not reading the posts that several of us were making when HP originally announced their pricing for the TouchPad. Many of us knew and said on numerous occasion that this is what HP would be doing. So many of us that were willing to wait till the end of the month, did so.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I do a ton of research before buying something, and I couldn't find a really positive review on the TP that actually recommended I buy one. I think that's the reason I got one! I'm always for the underdog. I have an iPad and a Honeycomb tablet. I'm not happy with either. I just want something different.

What sold me was being able to compose an e-mail, and go back and look at my inboix to reference other e-mails. With the other OS's, you have to save it as a draft, go back and look at what you wanted to in your inbox, then edit your draft... I love the real multi-tasking.
    90% of what I do every day is web based - and the extremely reliable, fast & standards compliant TouchPad/WebOS does what I want It has a tremendous battery life - and a quick recharge if needed on rare occasions - the TouchPad is everything I wanted in a tablet.

Yes I'm looking forward to the Pre3 (IF I decide to go with a larger phone - otherwise I may just go Pre2) and I like the fact that nearly everyday a new program or update is available. I have sold a number of TouchPad to customers - many not techies by any means - I they too are finding it does what they want & does it very well. The Kindle app, the music player, the availability of a ton of tv & the mail are all it pluses. As WebOS keeps adding new support Apple continues to cut back/remove things (like flash) that a true web experience requires.

Yes I paid more than I would have if I waited a couple weeks but I was traveling for her 4 weeks & I wanted a tablet rather than my laptop for the vast majority of use during that time. I now find even at home and unless I'm doing web design or my QuickBooks I tend to use the TouchPad over the netbook (1 year old or my laptop (over 8 years old now). The future is in this type of product as, thankfully, the monolithic PC/MAC is quickly fading away. I love the TouchPad as well as my Pre+ and it just keeps getting better.

I have the TouthSone , the BT wireless keyboard (A GREAT option) the carry case and a spare charger (I bought before the TouchStone - cold have passed on that with no problems

I know the penalty you pay when you want new or improved electronics on day one. I go back to te BetaMax days & it is still true today. I'm not upset about a $50 extra as I had it day 1 & used it I'd buy again today as it is that good. And just getting better. Why so many here want to talk it down - when the same issues apply to Pad, Android, Blackberry - is a mystery to me. I hope the tone here gets better as all the negativity isn't helping anything or anyone. A legitimate problem should be posted & hopefully addressed but the general, seemingly never ending harping on small things (and a few larger ones like the ever-slipping Pre3 release) need to stop. Hey folks we LIKE the TP - why not say so?
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There are three things to bear in mind as soon as you buy consumer electronics:

1) As soon as you take it out of the box it's worth less.

2) Never look at prices for the object again.

3) Early adopters always get hosed.

Everyone single company does it. If you buy something on day 1, you can expect it to be cheaper six weeks later - that's just the biz.
    Here's why... milk is a commodity. You can get milk everywhere and there's no real feature differentiation. If the Touchpad were a commodity, I wouldn't complain one bit about paying an early adopter tax, in fact I was A-OK two weeks ago when HP was shaving margin to get a little more volume in the marketplace.

The difference comes when HP wants to sell me an eco-system.

Eco-systems are hard to sell because you're asking someone to 'join' something as opposed to just making a purchase. Check out Maslow's Hierarchy, eco-systems sell self-actualization, milk and groceries merely satisfy limbic needs.

So, when HP doesn't deliver on promises at launch (doc editing, movies, etc.), bungles the execution of the 'make it right' rebate by adding qualifications, tells the market that the July 1 launch wasn't the 'real' launch of the product (after the fact), throws a bunch of rough guesses into the marketplace about when an OTA update will be available and then remains mostly quiet while the rough guesses pass by on the calendar, and then chops 25% off the price of the tool I bought to get into their eco-system, it all adds up to making it tough to trust HP with my entire digital livelihood.

If I was just buying a laptop or a hard drive and the price dropped on Amazon by 50% a month later it's no big deal, it's a commodity purchase and I misstimed it. But that's not what's happening here, HP wants me to move into their ecosystem (and I wanted to), but they're not creating a mutually beneficial relationship between HP and me so far. They need us to trust them.

HP could make this all go away and make me happy again if they would step up and own it. Explain that we're off to a rough start together, give me a reason to believe, get me to stop recommending Android to family and friends while I carry a Touchpad.

We're waiting.
    Last edited by Wagz50; 08/05/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Who understands you, first you complained because the TouchPad was too expensive, and now you complain because it is too cheap??
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post
    actually thinking about going back to Apple???
    Use your TouchPad to search for the nearest I-Store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    has there ever been a new piece of consumer electronics that didn't go down in price over time? paid twice as much for my first palm smartphone as I did for my pre plus.

people used to buy HDTV devices for 5 to 19 thousand. Now they are under one thousand.

so there was no way to see this coming?
    no, there was no way of seeing this comming. "over time" is sth completely different than 4 weeks after launch!

the price drop is there because they have pushed out a very poor beta version of the tablet and now donīt have any sales at all. actually i wouldnīt be wondering if in about a year from now the whole webos thng is dead.

ever wondered why hp is so unbelievably crap in everything concenring the webos? products not working, apps not comming, updates causing the thing to work less good than before , bugs that everybody can find within seconds (not somwhere in the depth of the system, right there on top of it; couldnīt THEY know that?), communication blunders (...update in about 10 days ..... sth special for palm pre owners because there systems wonīt be supported anymore ....all that from executives like rubinstein and bradly!!! you ever had sth? i didnīt), support not functioning, .....and on and on and on and on .....no excuse for that. this company has clearly not understood the customervalue concept and must therefore die.....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There are three things to bear in mind as soon as you buy consumer electronics:

1) As soon as you take it out of the box it's worth less.

2) Never look at prices for the object again.

3) Early adopters always get hosed.

Everyone single company does it. If you buy something on day 1, you can expect it to be cheaper six weeks later - that's just the biz.
    sorry, the point he makes is valid.
    I am not believer, but I never had an apple product with even the smalest problem.
    the tp is not at all working. we ARE beta users that pay for it, realize it. not excuse for that. the bad thing is that you canīt even sell the thing on ebay, nobody wants it
    Anyway,

how comes that none of all of you guys here is having any problem with malfunctioning of the piece?
    I mean all of you paid the price of an ipad and none of you got something working even half as reliable.
    are all of you paid by hp?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khe05 View Post
    sorry, the point he makes is valid.
    I am not believer, but I never had an apple product with even the smalest problem.
    the tp is not at all working. we ARE beta users that pay for it, realize it. not excuse for that. the bad thing is that you canīt even sell the thing on ebay, nobody wants it
    But none of that has anything to do with 1,2 or 3 - it's irrelevant if the product is great or awful - it's the natural way of things.
    If I were your brother I'd b-slap you into next week.
    that's 3-4 tanks of gas!
    that's a lot of wings and beers!
    thats... thats... thats a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    look, i expect to pay a premium for being a launch day adopter... but TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR premium for ONE month of usage...get the eff out of here with that. my brother bought it for me and i sure as hell hope he doesnt see that its $200 cheaper (at staples) after he dropped $600 on mine just over a month ago after he tried to convince me to wait one month.. w t f
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    look, i expect to pay a premium for being a launch day adopter... but TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR premium for ONE month of usage...get the eff out of here with that. my brother bought it for me and i sure as hell hope he doesnt see that its $200 cheaper (at staples) after he dropped $600 on mine just over a month ago after he tried to convince me to wait one month.. w t f
    The Staples offer is hit or miss. They need to be in-stock at the local store plus the manage needs to be willing to honor stacking the discounts. Some of the managers weren't allowing both discounts to be applied.
    first day buyer here. Perhaps I did spend too much. But oh well, they have my money now. Hoping they put it to good use.
    sledge007 likes this.
    I'm a 7th day buyer but I knew how HP does their marketing and promos and watched closely. My total price paid outright for my 32GB model is $458 after receiving price match credits.
    As PreNewbieSV sai, it's HP's way.

If you go to Woot.com, and lick on the "community" link, you can see the history of past items.

Guarantee you there's at least a few per month of HP - Laptops, Desktops, monitors, etc...
    Sometimes it's refurb, sometimes it's new, but there'll ALWAYS be HP items on woot, month in, and month out.

FruitCo does things a different way, and probably lose a few customers.
    Apple dealers are under strict orders about lowering prices, and they are not very tolerant.

At this point, I wouldn't read much into it just yet. It's basically HP's historical business model for consumer products.
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by khe05 View Post
    I never had an apple product with even the smalest problem.
    UHMMM really? Never had an ipod freeze up on you? Never have an iPod completely fail? I haven't owned many apple devices and I have seen them fail.

We can then go to my 2 close friends that are apple nerds (I use that term lovingly), one of em even works in apple support. Apple products are not without issues just like any other tech.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    FruitCo does things a different way, and probably lose a few customers.
    Apple dealers are under strict orders about lowering prices, and they are not very tolerant.
    This is an important thing to note and also a contributing factor to why you can no longer purchase FruitCo products from Costco.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast