Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    I think its how HP sells its items.. This is a very nice post.. Check it out (if you haven't yet)..
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...apple-way.html
    buying electronics is like buying a new car, you drive off the lot.....
    I think you are jumping the gun a lil bit on all this. The Woot deal is inline with the weekend pricing. I don't think it is by mistake that right before school starting you see a Woot deal pop up the same day as a weekend sale.

I know it's early August, but for example, my brother leaves next weekend to go away to school. If he was in the market for a tablet, this would be the weekend to swoop one on sale.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post
    I'm actually thinking about going back to Apple???
    see ya
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    This is ridiculous. I have the same problem with the grocery store right now. I bought a gallon of milk earlier this week for $3.99. Now I see they have put it on sale for $2.99. A 25% price drop! Absolutely ridiculous! This is the price it should have been all along! As an early adopter of the milk, I should be entitled to some sort of rebate or price match on the milk I bought! How dare they? I guess the milk business must be in jeopardy. They're going out of business, trying to reduce stock levels. Oh my goodness, the milk companies are going to fail!

Things go on sale, people. Either get over it or just sit and wait for sales before buying things.
    I also bought the TouchPad early (still waiting on the $50 rebate to even be acknowledged) and am a bit disappointed that I could have waited a month and got a MUCH better deal, but I knew the price would drop and I enjoy the thing. It was worth it, to me.
    So, I really can't complain (except about the rebate).
    god
    why is it that this forum goes anarchy as soon as there's a post that could be turned into something negative, yet, if anything positive is posted, it's all silent?

Just because something is on sale does not mean it's a bad thing. HP works like that. They offer many products through their chain continuously on a discount. It's their business model.

Summer time is a high shopping season. Then you have back to school shopping. When you put something on sale, it sparks customers interest, offers them more of an incentive.

Everything is just negative here.

This is electronics. This is North America. We live in a society that is prone to the "throw it away" attitude. You buy something today, it's either obsolete or lower the next day. It's no surprise. You bite the bullet you better get used to it.
    hparsons and falconrap like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post

I'm actually thinking about going back to Apple???
    Don't let the door hit you.
    65fastback and jahjahlove like this.
    So what does the Jindal Institute of Power Technology have to do with HP's pricing strategy?

I do like how that misspelling is repeated in the follow-up comments too ... Online Etymology Dictionary
    hparsons likes this.
    you should of bought at costco. I got $100 in crisp 20 dollar bills yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think you are jumping the gun a lil bit on all this. The Woot deal is inline with the weekend pricing. I don't think it is by mistake that right before school starting you see a Woot deal pop up the same day as a weekend sale.

I know it's early August, but for example, my brother leaves next weekend to go away to school. If he was in the market for a tablet, this would be the weekend to swoop one on sale.
    I think this is a good explanation to the deal thats going on now. It makes sense to have a sale right before school starts.
    This is typically marketing strategy, just like any new product coming to market, companies take advantage of the hype and anticipation because they are in business to make a profit. I knew when I preordered my TouchPad that I would be paying top dollar and that there was a good chance weeks after the launch there would be large discounts, just common sense, I do have an IQ over 50, lol. To me it was worth it to have my TouchPad early to use and explore. Friends of mine go to Vegas for the weekend and drop several hundreds of dollars (maybe more, lol) and they justify it as entertainment. Lets face it, for the most part right now, that's what tablets main purpose is right now, entertainment, so quit whining and enjoy
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    god
    why is it that this forum goes anarchy as soon as there's a post that could be turned into something negative, yet, if anything positive is posted, it's all silent?

Just because something is on sale does not mean it's a bad thing. HP works like that. They offer many products through their chain continuously on a discount. It's their business model.

Summer time is a high shopping season. Then you have back to school shopping. When you put something on sale, it sparks customers interest, offers them more of an incentive.

Everything is just negative here.

This is electronics. This is North America. We live in a society that is prone to the "throw it away" attitude. You buy something today, it's either obsolete or lower the next day. It's no surprise. You bite the bullet you better get used to it.
    Thanks for saying that. I'm very active over at AndroidCentral and see nothing like this. I just joined here because I picked up the TP last night, and I can't believe the negativity. It's a new product, give it a chance everyone.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Thanks for saying that. I'm very active over at AndroidCentral and see nothing like this. I just joined here because I picked up the TP last night, and I can't believe the negativity. It's a new product, give it a chance everyone.
    well that's just it, NickA. It's no surprise Palm had it's downfalls, it's struggles.

We do all want webOS to succeed.

HP is a different story. They are certainly not Apple. They should not run like Apple either. If you do that, your company is bound to fail.

I look at it this way: All the negativity we have, is just hurting HP and webOS even more. If you're a new user (like yourself) and you're debating on the touchpad or any webOS device, and you're smart enough to do some research before hand, and you end up on pre central and all you read is "HP is horrible; webOS is dead; they lied to us, i can't trust them; touchpad has the worst issues out of every electronic device on the planet; it's no ipad" blah blah blah you get the point, what is that user going to do? They will close their browser, and try to forget that they ever came to this site to even think about a webOS device.

Word of mouth is the most effective method of advertising. This community definitely does not make it easier for potential customers. We're only hurting ourselves here.
    If you purchased the TouchPad directly from HP and are still within 21 days from the purchase date. Give them a call, they should refund the difference. I bought mine on July 1st so I am out of luck but the rep told me if I was still in the 21 day period from my purchase date they would of been able to match the current price.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasdad View Post
    This is ridiculous. I have the same problem with the grocery store right now. I bought a gallon of milk earlier this week for $3.99. Now I see they have put it on sale for $2.99. A 25% price drop! Absolutely ridiculous! This is the price it should have been all along! As an early adopter of the milk, I should be entitled to some sort of rebate or price match on the milk I bought! How dare they? I guess the milk business must be in jeopardy. They're going out of business, trying to reduce stock levels. Oh my goodness, the milk companies are going to fail!

Things go on sale, people. Either get over it or just sit and wait for sales before buying things.
    Your analogy is ridiculous. Whatever, I learned. I'm not gonna pay to be a beta tester any more. Webos 3, for what I need, is not ready. If someone else shares my feeling and feels they paid too much, fine. If they can accept paying full MSRP for a product line that isn't quite ready to compete, fine. I don't like it, I'm gonna ditch my TP and really wait for it to be what it needs to be, for me (more productive, not an entertainment toy). I'm done with this thread.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    I do a ton of research before buying something, and I couldn't find a really positive review on the TP that actually recommended I buy one. I think that's the reason I got one! I'm always for the underdog. I have an iPad and a Honeycomb tablet. I'm not happy with either. I just want something different.

What sold me was being able to compose an e-mail, and go back and look at my inboix to reference other e-mails. With the other OS's, you have to save it as a draft, go back and look at what you wanted to in your inbox, then edit your draft... I love the real multi-tasking.
    kjb86 and falconrap like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasdad View Post

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA made me LOL
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/05/2011 at 12:17 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    kjb86 likes this.
    This device is perfect for what i need it to do. WebOS rocks for me but to each their own. If you're not happy with it, find something that works for you. As far as it being abandoned, I don't see that at all. Just sayin.... :-)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I always laugh when I hear the term "early adopter tax". Its the simple economics of pricing equilibrium. Manufacturers bring items to market at a price point they think is good. But because the market dictates pricing, if the market thinks the price point is too high, demand will decrease. The manufacturer will start lowering the price until demand rises again. Equilibrium. It happens with anything and everything you purchase (go buy a newly introduced brand of frozen pizza... It may be really good and wonderful at $15, but that price will drop quickly and it will go on sale if consumers don't buy it at that price point.) A company has a right to make a profit, but in the end, it's the market that dictates the end-price. If you don't like to pay more for items...don't blame the manufacturer, just wait for the market to equalize the price.
    Agreed. If you're not willing to pay more when a product first comes out but you buy it anyway, you are not an early adopter - you are just impatient. That's just not my opinion - it's actually a validated sociological theory:

Diffusion of innovations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adopter Category Definition

Innovators: the first individuals to adopt an innovation. Innovators are willing to take risks, youngest in age, have the highest social class, have great financial lucidity, very social and have closest contact to scientific sources and interaction with other innovators. Risk tolerance has them adopting technologies which may ultimately fail. Financial resources help absorb these failures. (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 282)

Early Adopters: This is the second fastest category of individuals who adopt an innovation. These individuals have the highest degree of opinion leadership among the other adopter categories. Early adopters are typically younger in age, have a higher social status, have more financial lucidity, advanced education, and are more socially forward than late adopters. More discrete in adoption choices than innovators. Realize judicious choice of adoption will help them maintain central communication position (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 283).

Early Majority: Individuals in this category adopt an innovation after a varying degree of time. This time of adoption is significantly longer than the innovators and early adopters. Early Majority tend to be slower in the adoption process, have above average social status, contact with early adopters, and seldom hold positions of opinion leadership in a system (Rogers 1962 5th ed, p. 283)

Late Majority: Individuals in this category will adopt an innovation after the average member of the society. These individuals approach an innovation with a high degree of skepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Late Majority are typically skeptical about an innovation, have below average social status, very little financial lucidity, in contact with others in late majority and early majority, very little opinion leadership.

Laggards: Individuals in this category are the last to adopt an innovation. Unlike some of the previous categories, individuals in this category show little to no opinion leadership. These individuals typically have an aversion to change-agents and tend to be advanced in age. Laggards typically tend to be focused on “traditions”, likely to have lowest social status, lowest financial fluidity, be oldest of all other adopters, in contact with only family and close friends, very little to no opinion leadership.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast