Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    This is the one reason why people buy Apple product without worrying about this kind of stuffs, except for first iphone but they did get some apple store credit (hope HP gives some incentive to early adoptors). This is the exact reason why Apple product has such high resell value. I think couple of months old iPad2 still sells for $400+ on craigslist. I wonder how much you can get for your TP after several months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Hey, let the guy alone! He feels he got jipt because it's only a month after initial release; not 10-12 months. He may not be entirely thrilled with the purchase either and likely feels more burned paying what he did.

Early adopter tax is BS, I don't care what any one says. I paid $440 for mine on ebay and I did wait a few weeks because I knew this was gonna happen. I HATE the early adopter tax and paying full MSRP and try to avoid as much as is practical.

I didn't think these price drops would happen this soon. Yes, I recall the iphone crap and I was ****ed about it then as well though I didn't jump on that until well after the fact. It's called empathy. I was annoyed because I knew how some of those folks felt. Yes, they should have gained some patience and waited but they didn't. Doesn't mean a corporation needs to be capitalizing on it; but they do. Nothing to do about it.

HP should have released with these prices instead of the "early adopter tax" crap. Why? Because it was their stated goal to push webos 3 on a tablet device and compete with current market offerings. Pricing the unit the same as the current market "king" and pretending it's a more "productive" or useful tablet, is not so smart. Fake it till you make corporate none sense. You can't tell me there wasn't talk of dropping the TP prices as they are currently; $399 and $499 for both versions would have helped move more product from the out set.

I was slightly annoyed about it but after reading these comments I'm even more annoyed now. Then again, this type of crap happens on other forums as well.
    I always laugh when I hear the term "early adopter tax". Its the simple economics of pricing equilibrium. Manufacturers bring items to market at a price point they think is good. But because the market dictates pricing, if the market thinks the price point is too high, demand will decrease. The manufacturer will start lowering the price until demand rises again. Equilibrium. It happens with anything and everything you purchase (go buy a newly introduced brand of frozen pizza... It may be really good and wonderful at $15, but that price will drop quickly and it will go on sale if consumers don't buy it at that price point.) A company has a right to make a profit, but in the end, it's the market that dictates the end-price. If you don't like to pay more for items...don't blame the manufacturer, just wait for the market to equalize the price.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    tell that to people, for example, who bought a Mustang GT500 and had to pay OVER sticker price only for them to end up with rebates available BELOW sticker price.

It just happens. You either pay it or you don't. Its your money at the end of the day.
    Right, and I chose "don't pay it" and I'm still left feeling bit burned at the $440 I paid. Mainly because of hindsight; the device isn't worth more than current prices to me. As I said, chronology is important here; it's only 1 month after release.
    Wagz50 likes this.
    3DS $250, 5 months later $169
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Many people felt HP priced it too high and those opinions were fairly common to read. I thought about waiting myself but decided to get mine on July 1st for various reasons.

I think the frustration is from the fact the price changed so much within the first month. There probably wouldn't be the same frustration if the price drop occurred months after launch. I certainly understand the OPs point of view and it's valid. It's a lesson we all learn at some time in life.

We'll see soon enough if this is a short-term sale to get attention or if they are truly reducing the price for the long run. I see plenty of other retailers still selling them at full price with no signs of price reduction.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Do people not think enjoying something for a month is worth anything? I exchanged my Galaxy Tab 10.1 at Best Buy for the TP . . . couldn't be happier. In a month I've used it 3-5 hours every day. Fortunately, I have silver rewards at Best Buy and have already been credited with $50 price drop. Going back today to get the other $50. However, even if I didn't, I've used and enjoyed a product for 100+ hours. That's worth a lot in my book.
    I am sure everyone knows the price of TP will drop but not this early. well, few days after a month. So people who bought the TP on day 1 can't even return the product and get the better price TP or ask for price difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    This is the one reason why people buy Apple product without worrying about this kind of stuffs, except for first iphone but they did get some apple store credit (hope HP gives some incentive to early adoptors). This is the exact reason why Apple product has such high resell value. I think couple of months old iPad2 still sells for $400+ on craigslist. I wonder how much you can get for your TP after several months later.
    A first gen ipad 1 can reliably sell for $300 at present market value on CL and ebay. Hell, I still see people paying above sticker for 2nd gen ipads on ebay; must be nice to have the money to burn on such impatience.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    3DS $250, 5 months later $169
    Yeah, after 5 months later. And Nintendo gives game download credits to those who paid $250. HP dropped $100 little after 1 month. What is HP going to do for those who paid full price? so far, NOTHING!!! What are you guys defending HP?
    Price is dictated by the market, but frequent, fast price drop hurt customer loyalties.

Its up to hp to read the market before launch and have reasonal expectation and prices, to passively changing prices solely based on market demand, just shows how shortsighted and incompetent hp is.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yeah, after 5 months later. And Nintendo gives game download credits to those who paid $250. HP dropped $100 little after 1 month. What is HP going to do for those who paid full price? so far, NOTHING!!! What are you guys defending HP?
    Because it's "only a sale" at this point and it remains to be seen if current prices will hold. That, at least, I can understand and will wait to see how it turns out. More of a case can be made if prices stick beyond this sale.
    Because it's "only a sale" at this point and it remains to be seen if current prices will hold. That, at least, I can understand and will wait to see how it turns out. More of a case can be made if prices stick beyond this sale.
    Who is going to pay full price after this weekend sales? I think hp will drop their msrp.

---
    - Sent from Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firebymike1111 View Post
    I pre-ordered and did the nice thing and got it on launch day. I was even really excited because you gave e a credit for being an early webos adopter with my phone but now you knock 100 off the phone anyway leaving me hanging with paid even more than the best deals now and I can't even return for a price adjust because I already sent in my rebate

I can never win...
    The fun I've had with being an early adopter was worth the extra money.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    hparsons and kjb86 like this.
    Any of you on Google+?

Google is doing something brilliant there. They employ people as "Community Managers" same as Apple with their Worldwide User Group. It's necessary to have customer-facing folk who engage the fervently loyal, early adopter community.

What do we have from HP? We have some folks who talk to developers, and we get the occassional tweet from an HP Exec but how is HP actively engaging us to cultivate some good vibes with the group that Godin would call 'Sneezers' or Gladwell would call 'Mavens'?

*crickets chirping*
    Right, and I chose "don't pay it" and I'm still left feeling bit burned at the $440 I paid. Mainly because of hindsight; the device isn't worth more than current prices to me. As I said, chronology is important here; it's only 1 month after release.
    Here's the thing, you know as well as the rest of us, if you bought from ebay in the first month, you didn't really wait.

Just saying nobody expected HP to drop prices after 2 weeks, if it wasn't for the bundle deal and 5 payments no finance charge I would have been waiting longer. I decided the bundle, 5 payments and getting the additional $50 off was worth it, regardless of what happens in the next 6 months (there is still the rumor of a 7inch coming out before years end). I also made my purchase knowing I wouldn't be droping 400-500 on new phones this year since we had already made the decision to stay with the $.01 Veers. So my cell phone budget went to the TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    The fun I've had with being an early adopter was worth the extra money.
    And this. Even the wife enjoys some of the early adopter stuff (other than the mass amount of time I spend playing with things).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    early adopter means youre willing to take the chance... and endure more and suffer more for the chance to be the first at something new. even means more through the wallet if necessary.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firebymike1111 View Post
    I pre-ordered and did the nice thing and got it on launch day. I was even really excited because you gave e a credit for being an early webos adopter with my phone but now you knock 100 off the phone anyway leaving me hanging with paid even more than the best deals now and I can't even return for a price adjust because I already sent in my rebate

I can never win...

Never be an early adopter with technology and especially with HP stuff. They are always running stuff like this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I see both sides. I was an day-one purchaser also and understood the price I was paying for that. I expected the price the drop a little over a period of a few months. But 25% in 30 days? That was a tad unexpected!

On the other hand, we've all been complaining about the high price of the TP...and now we're complaining that they have discounted it.

I think it's just the free market at work. HP allows their retailers to discount and compete, so I can't really complain about that.
    HP should fire every marketer associated with their WebOS strategy and replace them with people who have actual experience building a community.

This is so necessary if you want to sell an eco-system.
    All the big players in the eco-system game understand this: Google, Apple, heck, even Amazon, Facebook, Groupon and Twitter get it.

HP is running WebOS with a device-based strategy which leads directly to the TouchPad and WebOS becoming commoditized (like everything else HP sells), it's not too late to correct course on this with a handful of key hires inside the WebOS marketing team.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I was a day one adopter of the original Pre. Fell in love with WebOS. Followed it through the years hoping steam would build and Palm would finally start doing the right thing with it. Nope. HP Buys WebOS and I finally had a good feeling.

Dropped my iPad2 and iPhone 4 on July 1st and got a Touchpad and Veer.

Now a month later they are basically selling the 32Gig for about $150.00 off??? ***?

This is NOT a good sign. A WOOT Deal already? Wow. This is NOT the good news for WebOS I was hoping for. I think HP may have screwed this one!

I'm actually thinking about going back to Apple???

I love WebOS but I just can't deal with it being an abandoned OS again...

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast