Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I guess I am more of a post reader than a post writer, which is why I do not post very often. Also, as you can read, when I do have something to say, I tend to ramble a bit.
    I think HP is taking the right approach with the Touchpad. I think they should continue to discount the thing in the short term to build up a strong customer base. This will encourage more developrs to create apps for the platform and boost the ecosystem. I am really excited to see what happens in the next year, and what will happen once HP starts putting webos on its pc's as well.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    1. Excellent post, excellent.

2. I think you are right, and that does raise one possible concern for me. In PCs, they are updating the hardware, and it is Microsoft's job to improve the OS to keep up with them. The vast majority of programs are designed to run on the last 2 or even 3 versions of Microsoft's OS. In the mobile space, that isn't the case. PLENTY of apps are only able to run the most recent OS Version. If their becomes a disparity (a la android) in apps available for some TP's and not others, HP will be the one left to deal with it, not Microsoft. The other half of Apple's strategy that benefits people is that apple tends to support the last 3 generations of their product, so customers have that confidence. HP will have to be careful not to fall into the trap of leaving TP customers in the dust after 1-1.5 years as I imagine most of their customers will expect more life out of their purchase.

Not knocking the strategy, just cautiously optimistic that HP has considered the subtle changes that will need to be made for this type of product.
    I'll repeat the sentiment: Excellent Original post -- my interest in all things WebOS has waned lately, but, this certainly re-sparked some hope.

Courousant -- I have to agree with your concerns. I'll grudgingly ignore what HP did to the 1.x WebOS devices and hopefully won't do to the Pre2 and focus on the current generation of devices (Veer, Pre3, TP) only:

The logical extension of your comment & the OP is that the HP way involves cranking out latest-greatest with little regard to platform consistency (ie: Android fragmentation). If this is the case -- we'll basically be buying WYSIWYG Smartphones with rare opportunities to receive 'Core WebOS' updates --> not a desirable situation in my book. Hopefully, HP has a plan to help avoid this. It will be simply nuts, as I see it, if the Veer fails to receive WebOS 2.2 including Touch to Share updates and Enyo support.

Hope all of you have a great weekend.

--Side-note: Is it just me, or, does the current state of Android seem awfully like featurephone O/S'es? For example: Take any 2 Qualcomm phones from the past & compare the menu systems: they might be similar, but, things always seemed to change on a phone-by-phone basis with little hope of getting an upgrade that streamlined things.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Well, if they do it the right way, fragmentation should be at a minimum. They may have dropped support for 1.4.5, but until the Touchpad came out, most new apps worked on 1.4.5. And save for the few new APIs in 2.x, most new apps will probably continue working on 1.4.5.

Maybe there will be fragmentation in terms of screen size, battery life, peripherals, etc, but you shouldn't have random problems with apps breaking on certain OS version on certain phones like you do with Android, because Javascript is much better at being cross-platform than Java.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12