Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok so yesterday afternoon I bumped into an HP employee in my local Best Buy store in the UK. He told me he was there to supervise the training of the Best Buy sales people for the TouchPad and asked me what I thought of it. I said I was waiting for the release of the 3G version and asked him when this would be available. He replied that the 3G TouchPad was currently being tested by all the carriers in the UK and once they were all happy with it, it would be released later this year. When I pressed him on a date he simply said "sometime before Christmas".

    I then asked him about the Pre 3 which was what I was really interested in. He pulled out a working Pre 3 from his pocket and allowed me to play with it a bit. I have to say I was really impressed. The build quality feels much better than my current Pre 2 and the Pre 3 has lost the cheap-feeling plastic sharp edge at the bottom of the keyboard. The phone seemed very responsive and was running WebOS 2.2.0 (I checked). I asked him how many HP employees were using pre-release Pre 3 phones and his response was "very few" and I guess he was using his mainly to demonstrate the touch to share feature in training.

    I then asked him when the Pre 3 would be released and his reply was "not just yet - the phone isn't ready yet". He said the HP still had some work to do with the phone and they wanted to make sure it was right and running well before they released it. He said that "even he" didn't know when the Pre 3 would be released and that HP employees have been told it is still "TBA". When I pushed him on when he thought it would realistically be released he replied "not just yet but hopefully before Christmas".

    So it would seem that talk about "by the end of the summer", "mid-July" and "end of August" may have been a bit optimistic. It certainly seems there may have been some sort of unanticipated setback for the Pre 3 and the original roadmap for release may have been pushed back to the end of this year. The HP guy said that he worked in the HP/Palm division so I guess he knows what he's talking about.
    kenhiraihnl likes this.
  2. #2  
    Christmas? WHAT ON EARTH.......They're going to lose their 2% grip on the cell phone market.....A whole year to release a phone. They SHOULDN'T have said anything in February.
    purplepansy likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Ok so yesterday afternoon I bumped into an HP employee in my local Best Buy store in the UK. He told me he was there to supervise the training of the Best Buy sales people for the TouchPad and asked me what I thought of it. I said I was waiting for the release of the 3G version and asked him when this would be available. He replied that the 3G TouchPad was currently being tested by all the carriers in the UK and once they were all happy with it, it would be released later this year. When I pressed him on a date he simply said "sometime before Christmas".

    I then asked him about the Pre 3 which was what I was really interested in. He pulled out a working Pre 3 from his pocket and allowed me to play with it a bit. I have to say I was really impressed. The build quality feels much better than my current Pre 2 and the Pre 3 has lost the cheap-feeling plastic sharp edge at the bottom of the keyboard. The phone seemed very responsive and was running WebOS 2.2.0 (I checked). I asked him how many HP employees were using pre-release Pre 3 phones and his response was "very few" and I guess he was using his mainly to demonstrate the touch to share feature in training.

    I then asked him when the Pre 3 would be released and his reply was "not just yet - the phone isn't ready yet". He said the HP still had some work to do with the phone and they wanted to make sure it was right and running well before they released it. He said that "even he" didn't know when the Pre 3 would be released and that HP employees have been told it is still "TBA". When I pushed him on when he thought it would realistically be released he replied "not just yet but hopefully before Christmas".

    So it would seem that talk about "by the end of the summer", "mid-July" and "end of August" may have been a bit optimistic. It certainly seems there may have been some sort of unanticipated setback for the Pre 3 and the original roadmap for release may have been pushed back to the end of this year. The HP guy said that he worked in the HP/Palm division so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

    ahahhahaha , absourd .

    I don' t believe to that . 1 year for release a phone . ahhahahahahaha
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    He said that "even he" didn't know when the Pre 3 would be released and that HP employees have been told it is still "TBA". When I pushed him on when he thought it would realistically be released he replied "not just yet but hopefully before Christmas".
    Really guys. Do you realize that you're flipping out because of a hunch from someone who said himself he doesn't know the actual release date.

    I don't know it either, but I think it will be announced two years from now. How's that for news!
  5. #5  
    it's sounding more and more like 2.2 won't be the release version.

    did you read in the forums that the manual pdf can be downloaded from orange support.
  6. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #6  
    we know the release will be in about two weeks or so, as they have started to accept pre 3 apps.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    it's sounding more and more like 2.2 won't be the release version.

    did you read in the forums that the manual pdf can be downloaded from orange support.
    FCC report was created with with 2.3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #8  
    stop being dumb everyone.
  9. #9  
    PreGP:

    Since you got to play with it a bit, was there anything that you noticed about the software that needed finishing?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    PreGP:

    Since you got to play with it a bit, was there anything that you noticed about the software that needed finishing?
    Not at all. As I said the phone seemed very responsive with no lags that I detected. Very similar to my Pre 2. The Phone felt really well made with a nice feel to it and a slider with less curve to it than the Pre or Pre 2. I'm not exactly sure what it is about the phone that is "not ready yet" and the HP guy wasn't giving anything more away but I got the definite impression that:
    1. He knew the planned release date of the 3G TouchPad but wasn't going to tell me and 2. HP haven't decided on a release date for the Pre 3 yet and that he would have known if they had. I certainly didn't come away from talking to him thinking that HP will release the Pre 3 in the next few weeks as some have been speculating. November/December seems to be more likely which was quite a disappointment as I'd pre-ordered a Pre 3 from the Palm Eurostore website at the end of June.

    By the way he also mentioned that an OTA update would bring document editing to the TouchPad "soon" but this was in the hands of HP in the States.
  11. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    it's sounding more and more like 2.2 won't be the release version.

    did you read in the forums that the manual pdf can be downloaded from orange support.
    yeah, but review units were sent out with 2.2 as per the french video anyway.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  12. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #12  
    Some HP rep in the UK knows jack.
  13. #13  
    The latest Thisismynext podcast essentially says the Pre 3 is a disaster and completely out of the running, which seemed like a strange comment to make. Maybe this has something to do with it?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The latest Thisismynext podcast essentially says the Pre 3 is a disaster and completely out of the running, which seemed like a strange comment to make. Maybe this has something to do with it?
    If HP ships the Pre3 on August 1, 2011, it's still a disaster and out of the running unless they did some hard-core upgrades to the hardware, slashed the price, and fixed the Mojo/Enyo fragmentation issue.

    This is a last-generation phone shipping at a next-generation price.
  15. #15  
    I guess so. I just thought it was an unusually strong negative comment from an outlet that has always been kind to webOS.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    stop being dumb everyone.
    Best post on P|C in WEEKS, maybe MONTHS.

    Everyone should just sit tight and enjoy what they've got right now.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
  17. #17  
    I don't really understand the pattern here

    *person asks a carrier/HP/random store employee when something will be released
    *employee (who is not in a position to have this information) says they don't have the information
    *Person nags the employee and puts them on the spot
    *employee tosses out something safe to either appease person or make them shut the h*ll up
    *Person comes back to forum and exclaims the product won't be available until Dec 12, 2020
    *The outraged masses light their torches and storm Palm/HP

    I see this over and over and over again... It's bad enough when Palm/HP doesn't stick to officially announced dates or timetables but its utterly ridiculous when people get in an uproar over something that wasn't really even said and plainly carries no weight.
  18. #18  
    Most of the big phones these days have about a one year cycle so shouldn't we also expect a Feb 2012 announcement for the Pre 4?
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess so. I just thought it was an unusually strong negative comment from an outlet that has always been kind to webOS.
    Thisismynext has been negative about webOS for over a yr now, and it is warranted - but just because the phone isn't spec'd out like the competition, it doesn't mean it's not a great phone. Its about the user experience and doing many things very well.

    I don't need the latest processor when a new one will come out in 3 months. I don't need the most Mega-pixels. I don't need a retina display on a sub 4inch phone - I have a tablet and a TV to watch movies or shows on.

    I need a sexy looking device that does everything well, not great. Even if the Pre3 out spec'd everything out there, 3-6 months from now it will topped by another device. If you care about the latest specs than get an Android. If you worry about the user experience, than webOS or iOS is the way to go.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    All New Everything | webOS Enthusiast | Lakers | Manchester United | Cardinals | J. Cole | Wale - Athlete Mentality, Forget The Competition

    Follow at @kingnoso11
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I don't really understand the pattern here

    *person asks a carrier/HP/random store employee when something will be released
    *employee (who is not in a position to have this information) says they don't have the information
    *Person nags the employee and puts them on the spot
    *employee tosses out something safe to either appease person or make them shut the h*ll up
    *Person comes back to forum and exclaims the product won't be available until Dec 12, 2020
    *The outraged masses light their torches and storm Palm/HP

    I see this over and over and over again... It's bad enough when Palm/HP doesn't stick to officially announced dates or timetables but its utterly ridiculous when people get in an uproar over something that wasn't really even said and plainly carries no weight.
    and this is reason number 1 for why they say as little as possible... Because every word they say comes back to haunt them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions