Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I would really LOVE to know who comes up with HP's marketing strategy? I absolutely love my Touchpad and am a Veer user as well but I'm really wondering if I made the right decision?

On July 1st I dumped my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and picked up both the Touchpad and the Veer. I LOVE webOS and have since I got my First Pre at launch years ago. I could never stay with webOS due to it's lack of certain features and Apps that I just couldn't do without.

I had really high hope when HP bought Palm. I really thought they were going to do the right thing with webOS. I was even more excited while watching the event when they introduced the Veer/Pre3/Touchpad.

So I have had my TP/Veer combo for the past 28 days. I do truely love webOS and think is the best platform overall.

During the introduction event HP showed us these amazing devices running webOS, working together, Touch-to-share, Phone calls on the TP, SMS messages on the TP etc...

We are basically a month after they launched the device and these features that wowed at the introduction event are still not even available???

I'm sorry, but releasing on July 1st, the launch not going so well, THAN coming out and saying "ohh it was just a soft launch" "the real launch is on the 17th"... COME ON! The only thing that has changed since the 17th is I see more comercials on TV.

No over the Air Update to 3.0.2 (Which by the way had better be pretty major or it's just going to be a let down to everyone). No Pre3, No update to make TTS or SMS forwarding work with the Veer...

What is HP Thinking???

Apps.... To launch without the Kindle app and HP movie store ready, AND to have your mucic sync software still in Beta (HPplay) just made the release seem very rushed.

I have really high hopes but am starting to think we are just going to see the same dead OS/ecosystem we have seem with Palm/webOS for the past few years.

Why HP didn't launch with a stable OS version, the features that not only set the Touchpad appart from other devices (TTS, SMS forwarding) and the lack of big developer TP enhanced apps???

Even Pivot having pages of apps that were not available? REALLY?

Like I said in the beginning, I really wish I knew who made some of these decisions. Come on HP, you spent how much $$$ to aquire Palm/webOS, you have potentially the best mobile platform in your hands and you are F$@^&*g the whole thing up!

If webOS has any chance, HP REALLY needs to make some changes.

1. Get the damn updates out to make the platform stable.
    2. get the updates out to the handsets to give them the functionality you promised.
    3. advertising needs to be stepped up. give us some comercials that really show the TP/handsets working together, doing what they do best! Show the advantages over some of the competition.
    4. Figure out a way to get big name developers (TeamViewer, Netflix, Banks, OnStar, Game companies (NgMoco, Zynga, TellTale, EA, Etc..)). You need to get APPS! I don't want 100 Fart Apps, but geez!

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    Jonesey likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Same boat as you. I have an iPad 2 but switched to a TouchPad (still kept the iPad though) and I dumped my Nokia E72 for an AT&T Veer 4G and I'm fricking dying for both to be updated. As disappointed as I am with the lack of a major update to make both better my webOS sickness has me wanting a Pre 3 now...oh dear.
    Yeah.. i REALLY want the SMS and touch to share too.

its annoying to have to wait so long for a feature that should already be there!!!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post

No over the Air Update to 3.0.2 (Which by the way had better be pretty major or it's just going to be a let down to everyone). No Pre3, No update to make TTS or SMS forwarding work with the Veer.[/LIST]

-Gromet
    Its a 0.0.2 update, wht do you mean by "major"?
    toy4x4 likes this.
    Wow, this is like the entire month of July condensed into one post.
    Hobbz likes this.
    Yep .... same here.. dumped ipad 2 and iphone 4 for the touchpad & Veer combo... although I was disapointed I couldnt SMS out of the box... I am still pretty happy with the move ... even though the Veer is very very very buggy!!!!!

I prefer HP take their time with this update.. because at this point, expectations are high...
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Time Wounds All HealsÖ
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by benleroux View Post
    I prefer HP take their time with this update.. because at this point, expectations are high...

Me too. But we know what will happen if they don't release a update by July 31st 11:59pm (I say go with Pacific Timezone based on HP headquarters location)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    HP has played it up, themselves. Though I figure that 3.0.2 isn't gonna b the update to end them all. There are plenty of version numbers for them to use in the future. =p
    Yes, between the bungled release, the possible build issues (cracks around speaker/usb port... AGAIN), unfinished software and other issues (wifi seems to be cropping up), it's kind of disheartening.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Quotes from Jon Rubinstein & Stephen DeWitt July 14th, 2011

"One more thing, donít forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, itís been under development for three, nearly four months, and itís terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look."

"You know, youíre right. I donít think anybody is going to push back. If you look at comments around a handful of the apps or certain elements of the productÖ the overwhelming majority of these will be fixed in that OTA update that we have planned for the end of the month."

They claim to have programmers working on this update for months and that it is going to fix a lot of the issues reviewers have seen in the TP. Like I said, It had better be good if they think it is going to change the minds of the people that have already reviewed the device.

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    they're setting up the expectations really high themselves.

this OTA update is going to be the end-all fix-all for almost all TP issues..... according to them anyway.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    I am just as frustrated. I returned my launch day TP and currently using a Costco bought one with a 90 day return. As of today I am 95% sure I will return it to Coscto (I need to try this new browser and maybe it will bring the % lower). I still have my pre- but I dont see anything good happening. With HP's stock not even bumping a bit with the Veer or TP release I feel that HP will dump WebOS relatively soon. I doubt they have even come close to turning a profit on this. I cant even imagine how much their marketing campaign costs. Its not cheap to have an HP rep at every major retailer just sitting there... I personally sold my stock a couple of weeks ago as I thought this was going to be a big thing for HP. It hasnt and it wont. It sucks but its the reality.. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it...
    so you have already bought, returned, and bought again?

that's just not right.
    are you serious? Really...

wow

where some people come up with certain things boggles my mind

Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    I am just as frustrated. I returned my launch day TP and currently using a Costco bought one with a 90 day return. As of today I am 95% sure I will return it to Coscto (I need to try this new browser and maybe it will bring the % lower). I still have my pre- but I dont see anything good happening. With HP's stock not even bumping a bit with the Veer or TP release I feel that HP will dump WebOS relatively soon. I doubt they have even come close to turning a profit on this. I cant even imagine how much their marketing campaign costs. Its not cheap to have an HP rep at every major retailer just sitting there... I personally sold my stock a couple of weeks ago as I thought this was going to be a big thing for HP. It hasnt and it wont. It sucks but its the reality.. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it...
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

wow

Sure...

For starters, he IS supporting the platform, but hedging his bet by going to Costco with their longer return policy. Don't say that I blame him.

* In an ideal world, he could have bought his first unit at Costco
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Sure...

For starters, he IS supporting the platform, but hedging his bet by going to Costco with their longer return policy. Don't say that I blame him.

* In an ideal world, he could have bought his first unit at Costco
    returns cost everyone money. A few returns and the sales reps start steering customers away from the device.

return privileges are not designed to turn the electronics department into a free toy box where people can borrow new gadgets just to mess with them.

anyone that does that harms the webOS reputation and inhibits future sales.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    HP won't make a profit for a long time even if the TP, Veer and Pre 3 are successful. It will take a long time to recoup the $1+ Billion.
    HP has to have the long game in mind for their purchase of Palm to make any sense.
    I've noticed that this thread isn't about the touchpad, its about how the OP doesn't like their product strategy and timeline.

<thread moved>
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    returns cost everyone money. A few returns and the sales reps start steering customers away from the device.

return privileges are not designed to turn the electronics department into a free toy box where people can borrow new gadgets just to mess with them.

anyone that does that harms the webOS reputation and inhibits future sales.
    They should have thought about that before they put out a sub-par product..

I would like to believe that the OP would have never considered returning the TP had it performed to his expectations from DAY 1.

I read a few reports yesterday where Android is getting about a 30% return rate. The iPad was at 2% in Feb 11

I'd shutter to know what it is for the TP... (though it is skewed because of the "try out" factor of something completely new)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast