Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    missed expectations != sub-par product.

launch day stuff always are a little rough around the edges.

I'm pretty happy with mine.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    anyone that does that harms the webOS reputation and inhibits future sales.
    He wouldnt have to do that if the device is good enough, or there isn't a weird promise of update from hp.

Its not the fault of a customer, he has no responsibility to satisfy hp, its the other way around.

If devices cant meet people's need, they have every right to return it, no need put the customers on trial.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    let's see
    -pre3 launch can't be too far off right = see precentral frontpage with SDK releasing to dev's
    -we know a 3.0.2 OTA update for touchpad coming soon with bug fixes.
    -webos ads on tv everywhere.

it's looking pretty good I'd say (bound by NDA say no more = so everything above I said is what's on precentral.net).
    Cantaffordit and kjb86 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    He wouldnt have to do that if the device is good enough, or there isn't a weird promise of update from hp.

Its not the fault of a customer, he has no responsibility to satisfy hp, its the other way around.

If devices cant meet people's need, they have every right to return it, no need put the customers on trial.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    read through the forums. That's not what is happening. In At least one case, the same user bought, returned, bought again.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Sure...

For starters, he IS supporting the platform, but hedging his bet by going to Costco with their longer return policy. Don't say that I blame him.

* In an ideal world, he could have bought his first unit at Costco
    sorry I wasnt talking about the device being returned.

I was talking about how the poster thought or thinks HP is going to drop webOS which is so wrong it wasnt even funny.

also about turning a profit lol.. Really, device has been out for 4 wks with limited attention thus far in the us. They are launching globally as we speak. Anyone who expects a profit thus far doesnt know how business works.

ive said it before and will again. HP knows what they are doing. They arent the giant they are for no reason. If you think you can do a better job submit your resume I'm sure theyd love to hear from the experts.
    <off topic posts deleted>
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    sorry I wasnt talking about the device being returned.

I was talking about how the poster thought or thinks HP is going to drop webOS which is so wrong it wasnt even funny.

also about turning a profit lol.. Really, device has been out for 4 wks with limited attention thus far in the us. They are launching globally as we speak. Anyone who expects a profit thus far doesnt know how business works.

ive said it before and will again. HP knows what they are doing. They arent the giant they are for no reason. If you think you can do a better job submit your resume I'm sure theyd love to hear from the experts.
    I wasn't expecting them to turn a profit in 4 weeks. I stated that I don't expect them to ever turn a profit on this product line and they will drop it.. Its funny also that people think returning a product during the 90 day return policy because you don't use or like the product anymore is wrong. My TP is going back and I will wait for the next gen version, if HP sticks with this. I just feel that they are going to lose a grip of money and just decide to drop the whole product line. HP was never into making operating systems so maybe its not a business they would want to stick with. Dont get me wrong. I love WebOS and hope its supported and sticks around but it just doesn't look good IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    I wasn't expecting them to turn a profit in 4 weeks. I stated that I don't expect them to ever turn a profit on this product line and they will drop it.. Its funny also that people think returning a product during the 90 day return policy because you don't use or like the product anymore is wrong. My TP is going back and I will wait for the next gen version, if HP sticks with this. I just feel that they are going to lose a grip of money and just decide to drop the whole product line. HP was never into making operating systems so maybe its not a business they would want to stick with. Dont get me wrong. I love WebOS and hope its supported and sticks around but it just doesn't look good IMO.
    I believe that Cantaffordit was referring to the fact that you have already bought and returned one TouchPad and turned around a bought another the next day:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3032444
    Sounds like people here have a lot of money to burn.

"I sold my ipad2 and bought a Touchpad/Veer."

I figure anyone buying a Veer is only keeping it a month or 2 until the Pre 3 so they'll be selling the Veer ........

Lot of dough to just throw around huh ?
    Last edited by anthonyb; 07/29/2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I believe that Cantaffordit was referring to the fact that you have already bought and returned one TouchPad and turned around a bought another the next day:

is there something wrong with that? I was on a road trip to vegas on July 1st so I picked one up in Victorville. I decided the TP wasn't for me based on my use of the device so I returned it.. My love of WebOS and just missing out lead me to go buy one again in "hope" that OTA's get released and patches and things start rolling out to fix things. Basically I have 90 days for HP and the homebrew community to change my mind and make me keep my device. One of the return criteria is "customer satisfaction". There is nothing wrong with what I did. Even if I decide to keep a TP I will return the costsco one again and buy another one at the discounted price. So that will make me a buy-return, buy-return, buy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post

If someone wants to do that, it's no one else's business. ...and if companies don't like it then a)manufacturers should make sure they're releasing products that people want to keep (or keeping their word on quickly getting issues and promises resolved), and b)reseller's should change their return policies.

Lots of warehouse clubs have extremely long return policies that actively encourage customers to return items months after they purchased them.

I think it's completely understandable that someone might want to keep their return options open, particularly when it's not at all clear how invested HP is standing behind their public statements and timetables. Especially right now when it's not immediately apparent that anything has improved since Palm was in charge.

If someone is worried that a product might get a bad reputation because a few people are returning them then that product has a whole host of more important problems to be dealt with.
    ogloco21 likes this.
    is there something wrong with that? I was on a road trip to vegas on July 1st so I picked one up in Victorville. I decided the TP wasn't for me based on my use of the device so I returned it.. My love of WebOS and just missing out lead me to go buy one again in "hope" that OTA's get released and patches and things start rolling out to fix things. Basically I have 90 days for HP and the homebrew community to change my mind and make me keep my device. One of the return criteria is "customer satisfaction". There is nothing wrong with what I did. Even if I decide to keep a TP I will return the costsco one again and buy another one at the discounted price. So that will make me a buy-return, buy-return, buy...
    And in six months you're going to post that the TouchPad is much worse than the Pre was since you're on your seventeenth unit.

Protip: returns are for when you purchase an item and find it's not for you, not for when you repurchase items you've already found aren't for you simply for the joy of it and to get a rental effect.
    cobrakon and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Protip: returns are for when you purchase an item and find it's not for you, not for when you repurchase items you've already found aren't for you simply for the joy of it and to get a rental effect.
    Realtip: Returns are for any reason as allowed by that stores return policy. If they are concerned about those kind of returns, they can *easily* weed them out with stricter policies.

Many warehouse clubs use their long return policy as an incentive. Sam's Club was famous for allowing you to return an item ANY time you wanted. People would return stuff after using it for months, as new versions were released, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Realtip: Returns are for any reason as allowed by that stores return policy. If they are concerned about those kind of returns, they can *easily* weed them out with stricter policies.

Many warehouse clubs use their long return policy as an incentive. Sam's Club was famous for allowing you to return an item ANY time you wanted. People would return stuff after using it for months, as new versions were released, etc...
    That was Costco's return policy on everything for a long time. I'm thinking they probable had (I knew people that did this)too many using the policy for a "free update" to their computer hardware every couple of years so electronics have a 90 day return window.

I had a Tilla Food Saver that was 5 years old and had stopped vacuming down tight. I'd never used Coscto's legendary return policy before but checked with them. After verifying (from the serial #) that they had sold my unit and that I had all the accessories with it, they counted out the cash refund right there. Wow, I was expecting an exchange. I did go buy a new one there with the money.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Actually I believe there is. You knew you weren't satisfied with the device when you returned it. Thus, you shouldn't have bought another one. Or if you're not satisfied until the device has what you want, you lurk on here to see when that's available and then buy the product. Not before.

I expected Kindle to work when I bought my device and I thought I'd have Notes by Inglorious apps. Neither were true. The Kindle app is now working, but I need doc editing w/o having to connect to the internet. I really want audible, but I knew it wasn't on the device when I bought it.

I haven't returned the device, because I can edit through Google docs and none of these items where deal breakers for me. I'm enjoying my TP, but probably not 1/2 as much as my husband enjoys it.

If not having something on the device will keep you from being happy with your purchase, then don't purchase the device until it has what you need. We've all learned from our launch day Pres that hoping to get the types of apps that we want could be in vain. Why start w/ another launch WebOS device that doesn't have what you want when you purchase it if you'll be unhappy with your purchase w/o it? It just doesn't make sense.
    perpetual returns cost the store, which is passed on to other customers.

this thinking that if no one stops you it must be ok, and if it doesn't hurt you it must not hurt anyone... That's how this country ends up buying $900 hammers for the army and reaching the point where Apple has more cash on hand than the US Treasury does.

what ever happened to personal responsibility?

character is what you do when know one is watching you. something to consider.
    bdhu2001 and acaplinger like this.
    I personally am 90% happy with my TP. Yes, I would like some of the bugs to get worked out, but all in all, it's better than people led on.

As for TTS on veer. it's a hardware issue. TTS takes a second coil which I was led to believe is only on the pre3... [correct me if I'm wrong.]
    Also, if TTS is the only problem, just use Neato that url.

All WebOS devices can share a profile with the TP and can be used to make calls. So TTS is relegated in my mind to a trick that's not that big of a deal. I love having a call come to the TP and the sound is awesome.

My TP does have the sound bug but it seems more like a software issue as I can make it work without rebooting most of the time.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    so much hate because I follow the rules.. Sucks for you guys who don't get the $100 off now at costco either.. Im on my 2nd Pre after my launch day was doing the ghost touch and couldn't be saved. Im on my 2nd TP because I want to evaluate it before I jump in. With the price being reduced so quickly it looks like I did the right thing. I will probably do it again as well and get another 90 day return window just because I feel the price will keep dropping. Keep hating and i will keep winning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    perpetual returns cost the store, which is passed on to other customers.

this thinking that if no one stops you it must be ok, and if it doesn't hurt you it must not hurt anyone... That's how this country ends up buying $900 hammers for the army and reaching the point where Apple has more cash on hand than the US Treasury does.

what ever happened to personal responsibility?

character is what you do when know one is watching you. something to consider.
    everyone should change their return policy's then and not allow "customer satisfaction" as on of the return criteria... Im in aerospace too so I appreciate the $900 hammers. I can sell you one if you want.. actually I sell $400 washers.. no joke!!
    so much hate because I follow the rules.. Sucks for you guys who don't get the $100 off now at costco either.. Im on my 2nd Pre after my launch day was doing the ghost touch and couldn't be saved. Im on my 2nd TP because I want to evaluate it before I jump in. With the price being reduced so quickly it looks like I did the right thing. I will probably do it again as well and get another 90 day return window just because I feel the price will keep dropping. Keep hating and i will keep winning...
    I didn't detect any hate. I simply noted people who stated that your method of checking out a device is wrong and hurts others. It's okay that you disagree and don't see the error of your ways, but don't label it as hate. I'm sure that stores will change their return policies.

Costco has already changed their policy to 90 days when it previously was forever. Next they'll get down to the same 30 days as everyone else and people will complain about the new policy and talk about capital greed. Policies are constantly changed because of the abuses of a few that began to take on higher proportions. Thus all customers will lose the ability to adequately check out their purchases, because of abuses that impel businesses to change their policy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast