Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    The Pre 3 is not being released until WebOS 3 is running on it without bugs.

HP has decided to make a big splash with the OS capabilities as opposed to releasing it now and being picked apart by reviewers pointing out that WebOS 2x is outdated.

Thats it in a nutshell.

I do not have a release date however before 7 weeks expires is safe.

When I receive new info I will update this thread.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Where are you getting this from?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyb View Post
    I do not have a release date however before 7 weeks expires is safe.
    What does this mean? Thanks.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I will happily wait if this is the case. It doesn't need to be a super-phone, just reliable. Maybe HP felt a little burned by the TouchPad release response, which could be a good thing.
    LordSecksie and sorli like this.
  5.    #5  
    I am getting this info from a relative that works for HP as of last week and was just moved to the Pre dev team.

When heard he was being hired I bought a Pre+ to see what WebOS is all about.

This info is reliable.

Btw, the relative works away from me and we have not exchanged emails or talked via phone.

I saw him at family gathering. Our relationship cannot be tracked.
    vza33 and hpsalesguy like this.
    When heard he was being hired I bought a Pre+ to see what WebOS is all about.
    So how do you like it?
    Thanks for the info. Not trying to be contrary but I thought Ruby told thisismynext that webOS 3.0 would not be running on the Pre3 anytime soon. Or did I misread that?

Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...

Here's the relevant text:

-------------------------------------

TIMN: Okay, let’s move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but you’ve got the Pre 3 coming. It’s running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. You’re encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldn’t say it’s an older OS. It’s certainly a different OS. We didn’t want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said ‘how do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,’ and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So you’re right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, it’s not going to run the tablet apps. That’s how it works on every other phone that’s out there.

TIMN: But you’re still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and we’ll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but we’re not going to talk about that now.

TIMN: Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: We’re not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN: But it will happen?

Jon: No, I haven’t even said it’s going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now that’s not the plan.

Either way, hope you're info's right!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Btw, the relative works away from me and we have not exchanged emails or talked via phone.

I saw him at family gathering. Our relationship cannot be tracked.
    I love this part.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Thanks for the info. Not trying to be contrary but I thought Ruby told thisismynext that webOS 3.0 would not be running on the Pre3 anytime soon. Or did I misread that?

Interview: HPís Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...

Here's the relevant text:

TIMN: Okay, letís move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but youíve got the Pre 3 coming. Itís running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. Youíre encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldnít say itís an older OS. Itís certainly a different OS. We didnít want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said Ďhow do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,í and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So youíre right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, itís not going to run the tablet apps. Thatís how it works on every other phone thatís out there.

TIMN: But youíre still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and weíll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but weíre not going to talk about that now.

TIMN: Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: Weíre not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN: But it will happen?

Jon: No, I havenít even said itís going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now thatís not the plan.

Either way, hope you're info's right!
    Yup. Ruby was pretty cut and dry that the Pre 3 would not be running 3.0.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    I think the OP must be confused. HP wants to get the bugs out and optimize ENYO before releasing the Pre 3. This would be consistent with what Jon said. From everything I've read/heard, webOS 3 doesn't support a dedicated gesture area, so it won't run on any, currently announced handset.
    Dan Donovan
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Rumor central. Does anyone remember Spencer F. Katt?
    HP has decided to make a big splash with the OS capabilities as opposed to releasing it now and being picked apart by reviewers pointing out that WebOS 2x is outdated.....
    Um, yeah, no way there can be any splash of any sort with webos because of all the delays and soft/medium/hard launches. For webos to make a splash, it would need to be re-written from the ground up with a totally new UI/UX and not be called webos.

I'm calling Bravo-Sierra on this whole heard it from a 3rd cousin twice removed who heard it from his neighbors dog who peed on an HP sign and therefore knows the real plan rumor
  13.    #13  
    dgdonovan, I will try to get more info.
    The way I understood it was the Pre 3 will run WebOS 3 before it is released.

I am no dummy and can listen well.
    He is no dummy either and would have stated ENYO optimization and not webOS 3 however we could both have made mistakes due to alcohol.

Unfortunately I cannot easily contact him now since I am paranoid about our relationship being tracked so do not expect any updates soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I think the OP must be confused. HP wants to get the bugs out and optimize ENYO before releasing the Pre 3. This would be consistent with what Jon said. From everything I've read/heard, webOS 3 doesn't support a dedicated gesture area, so it won't run on any, currently announced handset.
    Im pretty sure that this is incorrect: WebOS 3 does support gesture areas, just not on the TouchPad.

Also, JR said he wouldnt say if, or if ever, the Pre 3 would recieve WebOS 3.

That can be taken many, MANY ways, and, it would be smart to play it down, and surprise to the upside, at this point, to gain the respect of the reviewing world again.

IMHO, of course.

I hope the OP is correct, of course. That would be huge for the Pre 3.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/28/2011 at 12:13 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

fmarcanojr likes this.
    hopefully the OP is a gambler, because this is good for making some fast money...

<thread moved, and eventually merged>
  16.    #16  
    Fast money. Huh ?
    I would bet against the OP and try to get huge odds... Cuz he will be paying out soon, when the Pre3 arrives with 2.x

he is confusion Enyo apps with webOS 3.x
    sounds rather mysterious to me. just sayin'
    Let's quickly dispatch a covert, U.S. S.O.C.O.M special ops, ground forces unit down there to stealthly eradicate these "over-the-shoulder", "hidden-in-the-grassy-noll", "left-out", "left-wing", "it's-Roswell-all-over-again", "in-the-coming-weeks" rumors.
    Last edited by fred1955; 07/28/2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: updated
    Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend you been messin' around...
    BobKy likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast