Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #1  
    February - Pre3 officially announced to pretty good hands-on from typical iPhone biased websites.

Engadget:

"we have to say it feels good. The body of the device is sleek and solid, and the weight feels substantial in your hand. The screen is a relatively spacious 3.6-inches, and webOS looks absolutely stunning on it. The extra resolution is a big help on readability and clarity. The slider mechanism feels fairly solid"

BGR

"The Pre 3 is webOS’s saving grace in the near-term smartphone space. The build and feel are as close to perfect as we can hope for, the 3.6-inch 480 x 800-pixel display is sharp and stunning, and the keyboard is finally — finally — spread out and usable. WebOS also screams on this puppy thanks to Qualcomm’s next-generation 1.4GHz Snapdragon processor"

Now.

Europe is going crazy over the Nokia N9, and the entire world is about to go ape-**** crazy over the iPhone 5. They missed their window. They would have gotten solid reviews because nobody cared about Nokia in Europe because they announced Symbian was dead, and rumors were flying that "no iPhone 5 announcement in June". Now all reviews are going to say is that, "its the same webOS with better hardware". Flattering? hardly.

It would have likely been easier to get carriers on board back Feb-June. They dropped the ball. The industrial design was there, webOS 2.1 was there, and they couldn't make it happen. Maybe issues with touch-to-share? I don't know.

Its frustrating because, while I've never owned a webOS device, I sure wanted one, and I can feel the webOS community is very much annoyed that the best mobile OS out there is not going anywhere, and is completed ignored in the tech community.
    redskyy, fernandez21, T3CK and 4 others like this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    This is 2009 all over again. The pre minus was released 6 months too late and now here we go again with the pre3 potentially being released in the same month as the iphone 5. sigh.
    theattack likes this.
    And yet, they are still eagerly anticipated. Of course, not by the usual chorus of anti-weBOS folks, but still sought after.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I would hazard to say that the chorus of "anti-WebOS folks" are actually WebOS supporters who are keen on the mistakes by Palm and HP. They want their OS of choice to succeed so they can continue to use WebOS and have the devices supported.

This site used to be called treocentral.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Not even one of the new Droids or Windows Phones or BBs announced since the Pre 3 has wet my appetite and made me not want to wait for the Pre 3 anymore. They're all the same and uninteresting to me.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    HP could have held on to some of the hype by talking about it, instead of pushing the Touchpad and ignoring/abandoning the Pre 3. Are there any people that KNOWS someone at HP that could get us some sort of official statement on what is going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia_webOS View Post
    February - Pre3 officially announced to pretty good hands-on from typical iPhone biased websites.

Engadget:

"we have to say it feels good. The body of the device is sleek and solid, and the weight feels substantial in your hand. The screen is a relatively spacious 3.6-inches, and webOS looks absolutely stunning on it. The extra resolution is a big help on readability and clarity. The slider mechanism feels fairly solid"

BGR

"The Pre 3 is webOS’s saving grace in the near-term smartphone space. The build and feel are as close to perfect as we can hope for, the 3.6-inch 480 x 800-pixel display is sharp and stunning, and the keyboard is finally — finally — spread out and usable. WebOS also screams on this puppy thanks to Qualcomm’s next-generation 1.4GHz Snapdragon processor"

Now.

Europe is going crazy over the Nokia N9, and the entire world is about to go ape-**** crazy over the iPhone 5. They missed their window. They would have gotten solid reviews because nobody cared about Nokia in Europe because they announced Symbian was dead, and rumors were flying that "no iPhone 5 announcement in June". Now all reviews are going to say is that, "its the same webOS with better hardware". Flattering? hardly.

It would have likely been easier to get carriers on board back Feb-June. They dropped the ball. The industrial design was there, webOS 2.1 was there, and they couldn't make it happen. Maybe issues with touch-to-share? I don't know.

Its frustrating because, while I've never owned a webOS device, I sure wanted one, and I can feel the webOS community is very much annoyed that the best mobile OS out there is not going anywhere, and is completed ignored in the tech community.
    these are great words !

Copy and Paste to HP Worldwide by mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP could have held on to some of the hype by talking about it, instead of pushing the Touchpad and ignoring/abandoning the Pre 3. ...
    EXACTLY this! HP went all Touchpad and completely ignored the smartphone market...oops forgot about the soft-fluffy-pillow-like launch of the Veer.

The way the whole webos2.0 (and now 3.0) rebirth was handled makes me wonder if HP had any control at all? The rebirth was almost an exact copy of the Sprint Pre launch, which - for lack of a better word - sucked. I wonder if HP had to sign some agreement with Rubi saying that Rubi would remain in complete control for a certain period of time... that might explain the Feb 2011 big show followed by NO products and the July 1 TP 'soft' launch followed by another launch once Rubi was "promoted".
    The iPhone 5 coming to Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and of course AT&T on September 5th is significant. iOS 5 will get upgraded notifications, just type, voice actions, and card multitasking.

The release of the Samsung Galaxy S II in the US around August 12th is also something to watch. So far there have been Five million Galaxy S II sold in 85 days, not even in the US yet
    Sprint: GS2 Samsung Within approved at the FCC rollout in 2 weeks?
    AT&T: AT&T’s Samsung Galaxy S II Attain revealed with a keyboard.
    Verizon: Verizon could be first carrier to get Samsung Galaxy S II.

We are in the middle of a flood of new flagship phones:
    • Mar: Verizon Thunderbolt LTE
    • Apr: AT&T Atrix 4G, Verizon Droid Charge, Verizon Droid Incredible 2
    • May Sprint Nexus S 4G, AT&T Infuse 4G, Verizon Droid X2
    • June Sprint EVO 3D, AT&T Inspire 4G
    • July Sprint Photon 4G, AT&T Nexus S
    • Aug: Sprint Within, AT&T Attain, Verizon Function, AT&T LG Thrill 3D
    • Sep: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint iPhone 5
    - - - - Sprint Epic 2 4G, Sprint LG Slider, Verizon Bionic, T-Mobile Hercules

HP does not want to delay past September because 50 new phones are expected to be announced in October for the holidays.

Remember back when there were four new flagship phones a year: Palm, BlackBerry, Nokia, and Apple?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/27/2011 at 01:44 PM.
    I'm still going to buy one on LAUNCH DAY. No questions asked.
    Even if they released the pre3 today, I would be very hesitant to buy one. I don't think that HP(palm) has learn from their hardware quality issues and development on 2.x is pretty much stagnant at this point, sadly. I don't like reading that more than a few people's touchpad are getting cracks like the pre- did around launch. It doesn't sit well with me at all.
  12.    #13  
    Well I'd guess that the TouchPad was a Palm design, not an HP.

It took 2 years for all these other OS's to copy webOS. Now all will have a similar notification system, and multitasking (although iOS is still iffy) the only feature that differentiates webOS is its Synergy and TTS.

TTS is cool, but its kind of gimicky, not something I would use all that often. They should promote how well the Pre3 pairs with the TouchPad to let you answer calls, and messages, this to me is so much better then TTS.
    I respectfully disagree.

HP is killing the Pre 3 hype.
    Well I'd guess that the TouchPad was a Palm design, not an HP.

It took 2 years for all these other OS's to copy webOS. Now all will have a similar notification system, and multitasking (although iOS is still iffy) the only feature that differentiates webOS is its Synergy and TTS.

TTS is cool, but its kind of gimicky, not something I would use all that often. They should promote how well the Pre3 pairs with the TouchPad to let you answer calls, and messages, this to me is so much better then TTS.
    TTS isn't extremely useful in its current iteration with just URLs, but the concept of the whole system can be expanded. For starters file transfers would be a big thing. Take a picture the phone, then tap it on the TouchPad to view it on the larger screen and do things with the picture taken.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    TTS isn't extremely useful in its current iteration with just URLs, but the concept of the whole system can be expanded. For starters file transfers would be a big thing. Take a picture the phone, then tap it on the TouchPad to view it on the larger screen and do things with the picture taken.
    If the devs are given these API's, it would increase the possibilities of the TS, especially in the Homebrew community. This would really help its selling point but that's also a big "IF."
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If the devs are given these API's, it would increase the possibilities of the TTS, especially in the Homebrew community. This would really help its selling point but that's also a big "IF."
    We're using TS daily already. It's called Exhibition.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

Engadget:

BGR

Now.

No, I'm pretty sure it's just threads like this that are kiling the Pre3 hype.
    IGNTNUNLMTD and cobrakon like this.
    I was a diehard webOS fan, and still love the OS. However, I bought my Sprint Pre- within the same week it launched, off-contract and I'm still using it because Sprint doesn't have any better options imo. Not a big fan of Android.

A few months ago I broke down and bought an iPod and loved it. Last week I went out and compared the various tablets (including HP) and came home with an iPad2. Now if and when Sprint comes out with the iPhone, I'll be jumping ship.

In a perfect world, we would have the webOS operating system with the Apple AppStore powered by the phone specs of an Android device. Is that too much to ask?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    This is 2009 all over again. The pre minus was released 6 months too late and now here we go again with the pre3 potentially being released in the same month as the iphone 5. sigh.
    They just don't get it. Why bother showing it off in February and letting any news wither?

Talk about it in july, launch in August.

By the time it launches the processor will be 2 years old and single core...

The resolution will be low. It's a shame. I was pumped, 6 months ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast