Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I been away for 2 weeks from PreCentral... still no news for the release of Pre3?
    I see that now the site frontpage became Touchpad pwned.. Maybe the site should be renamed TouchCentral?

Anyways, I was wondering if anything made surface. Curious if the specs are changed, not just the release date.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    "..in the coming months.."
    verwon and Derek_B like this.
    Hopefully they are retooling, or even moving up the "Pre 4" to take the production cycle spot of the mostly mythical Pre3.

I'd be happy with a Pre3, but I fear most of the world at large has moved on to more recent hardware (or hardware announcements, in any case). And if they don't come out with different form factors, the new Apple and Android offering will leave them with only the webOS faithful as buyers. And that is not enough to get the traction they need.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And if they don't come out with different form factors, the new Apple and Android offering will leave them with only the webOS faithful as buyers.
    Ya, I agree. I looked at the new Nexus 4G specs (expected in fall also) and got scared. If HP does not change the hardware, Nexus will make the Pre3 a <<mod delete>> box. Well, not just Nexus but pretty much every superphone out there.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/25/2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: language
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    alonhzn likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Ya, I agree. I looked at the new Nexus 4G specs (expected in fall also) and got scared. If HP does not change the hardware, Nexus will make the Pre3 a <<mod delete>> box. Well, not just Nexus but pretty much every superphone out there.
    All the Pre 3 would need would be an updated processor without changing anything else to remain current...doesn't require TOO much if the new processor is pin-compatible with the 1.4GHz one.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/25/2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
    I'm sorry but android is sooo craptastic I don't care what specs they have. They should be more worried with windows 7 and iPhone, those platforms actually compete at the os level and have awesome specs. And thats not counting qnx from blackberry if they can release it this year.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    BBOS 7 devices may be announced tomorrow. I don't know if it means any QNX in the mix for them. I agree android is craptastic. I'd rather keep buying old Palm devices to keep my service and WebOS experience going.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    I've almost given up any hope now. HP has managed to take a true palm fan (Palm Pilot 500, Palm IIIe, Palm V, Zire, day one Pre) and practically given up on HP / Palm phones. As a Detroit Lions fan, HP's management of webOS reminds me of the dreaded Matt Millen years. I look here every day hoping for some news, but has now almost resigned to the fact that I likely will end up with a iPhone 5 as my next phone (particularly if it ends up on Sprint).

HP has shown no innovative new features that would compel me (or most consumers)to get a Pre3, even if it launches now. It seems like it will be just a larger Pre2, with all of the bugs that continue to go along with webOS. I absolutely love webOS, but there have not been that many advances to the OS in the past two years. I would love them to prove me wrong.....but they only have until the next iPhone launches I fear, as getting steady software updates and features on stellar hardware does seem very appealing.
    kilroy likes this.
    I too wish they would at least announce dates and carriers. I have been eligible for upgrade since April and would like a Pre3. I agree with earlier posts- Android is horrible and not a single android handset interests me. My carrier (Verizon) has so many Androids too.

It is the iPhone 5 I will go with if it is announced and released first. The iOS 5 will have unified messaging (much like WebOS), much improved notification system (much like WebOS), and advanced gestures (much like WebOS). I believe that unified messaging works across devices like with my iPad2 (much like TP with Veer). They are closing the gap on what sets WebOS apart from the competition. People can say Apple is playing "catch up", however iOS devices dominate the market. Them constantly improving the weaknesses of their devices will make it that much harder for the competition to "catch up".
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I'm sorry but android is sooo craptastic I don't care what specs they have. They should be more worried with windows 7 and iPhone, those platforms actually compete at the os level and have awesome specs. And thats not counting qnx from blackberry if they can release it this year.
    Im rooting for WebOS just cause of how smooth it is....but please, never say Android is craptastic compared to Windows 7 or iPhone. Im guessing you have never spent a handful time with Android?

For such a craptastic OS, why are Apple and Windows both trying to incorporate features from it?

Android is not far behind in OS features from WebOS. Hell the only thing I miss from the PRE is the cards...thats it. After that, there isnt a single feautre that Webos would do for me that Android wouldnt.

Dont get how some, if they had to, would move to an iPhone from a PRE.....thats severely traveling backs in the world of creating the OS/Skin to work how you want it.
    koolkid09 and jwdesselle like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Im rooting for WebOS just cause of how smooth it is....but please, never say Android is craptastic compared to Windows 7 or iPhone. Im guessing you have never spent a handful time with Android?

For such a craptastic OS, why are Apple and Windows both trying to incorporate features from it?

Android is not far behind in OS features from WebOS. Hell the only thing I miss from the PRE is the cards...thats it. After that, there isnt a single feautre that Webos would do for me that Android wouldnt.

Dont get how some, if they had to, would move to an iPhone from a PRE.....thats severely traveling backs in the world of creating the OS/Skin to work how you want it.
    I had a motorola atrix for 4 months, and yes the os sucks. Feature wise it is very robust, but the exicution is horrible. I always had to babysit it, uninstall and reinstall programs because the phone would run fine one second then suddenly start lagging and crash the next, even though it had avdual core processor.

The web browser was behind the other three platforms, it wasn't smooth, when you double tap to zoom it would move in too close even at the "far" setting, wasn't smooth scrolling, and would show things wrong. The only saving grace was flash support.

The app store is full of buggy software, after the first day I learned I had to install one at a time to make sure what ever I downloaded wouldn't crash my phone. When I first got it I downloaded a bunch of bunch of apps and then my phone completely crashed and was unusable, an error message kept popping up every five seconds and I had to restore it back to factory to get it working again after I had spent a couple of hours transferring everything to it and setting it up how I liked it. When I finally found the app that caused it, after reinstalling one by one, I emailed the developer who said they don't support the atrix and I couldn't get a refund because too much time had passed since I first installed it.

I had to have both a virus scanner and a kill app program, and yes the force close all apps was necessary because if I didn't use it I would constantly get notifications from the phone saying that an app had been running for the last 45 min. and if I would like to close it and this of course is after it had already eaten up 10% of my battery.

I would download live wallpapers and some would work fine but others would cause severe battery drain and make the phone extremely laggy.

One of my fav apps, a podcast catcher, would costantly freeze up, crash, or not play sound even though it said it was playing. I would have to reboot the phone to make it work again.

it was just not the type of experience I want with a phone, give me webos, iOS, or windows os any day of the week, they may have less features, but they work.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I think the lack of news regarding Pre3 is due to HP's current focus. They've probably got the entire webOS team focused on the TouchPad update, which is due for delivery in less than a week.

Once that rolls out (and doesn't have any major issues), they're probably focusing on wrapping up the next update for the Veer, and they'll start work on the next update for the TouchPad.

After those next two updates are out the door, we'll probably start seeing the Pre3 rumblings return, and the thing will probably be out in early September. At which time it still won't be late - the summer doesn't end until near September's closing days. And it won't be "underpowered" in the grand scheme of things, unless you're one of the myopic types who say FIVE CORES AND TWENTY GEE-BEES OF RAM OR I'M NOT BUYING IT!!!!1!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    The issue I see with the way too drawn out pre3 release is that come September the iPhone 5 will be out. And since the pre3 isn't coming to sprint, well let's face it, NOBODY but those of us diehard webos fans are going to buy it. It kills me to say it but this phone is going to be DOA unless HP makes major moves and pushes into the corporate world with it which I suppose may be possible.

Hopefully HP knows how poorly the pre3 is going to do and has a really spectacular slate phone running webos 3.0 in the works for a holiday season release.
    The problem with the Pre3 complaints is that, by and large, they're nothing but a list of fallacies.

Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    ... since the pre3 isn't coming to sprint, well let's face it, NOBODY but those of us diehard webos fans are going to buy it.
    So, your argument is: because the Pre3 is not coming to the third-largest (and soon to be smallest) national carrier, but is coming to the two largest carriers, no one is going to buy it. This makes no sense.

It kills me to say it but this phone is going to be DOA unless HP makes major moves and pushes into the corporate world with it which I suppose may be possible.
    I agree that it's not likely to be a huge seller, but to say it's going to be "DOA" is ridiculous hyperbole. HP is in the process of making "major moves." But as someone else said, HP is a train, not a sports car. Their major moves take a long time to develop momentum.

Hopefully HP knows how poorly the pre3 is going to do and has a really spectacular slate phone running webos 3.0 in the works for a holiday season release.
    The definition of "doing poorly" around here seems to be "not outselling the iPhone5/Droid of the Week." By that metric, everyone else is failing, too. Fortunately, the industry isn't so short-sighted.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The problem with the Pre3 complaints is that, by and large, they're nothing but a list of fallacies.

So, your argument is: because the Pre3 is not coming to the third-largest (and soon to be smallest) national carrier, but is coming to the two largest carriers, no one is going to buy it. This makes no sense.

I agree that it's not likely to be a huge seller, but to say it's going to be "DOA" is ridiculous hyperbole. HP is in the process of making "major moves." But as someone else said, HP is a train, not a sports car. Their major moves take a long time to develop momentum.

The definition of "doing poorly" around here seems to be "not outselling the iPhone5/Droid of the Week." By that metric, everyone else is failing, too. Fortunately, the industry isn't so short-sighted.
    AT&T and Verizon both tend to neglect any device that is not a carrier-exclusive device, unless there is a huge amount of hype surround it already(such as the iPhone). The Pre 3 could have a quad-core 3GHz processor in it with 30 hours of battery life, and AT&T and Verizon still wouldn't try to sell it, but would offer it for those who want to buy it and tell the sales people to go away with their Android and iPhone sales pitch.
    rkd7777 likes this.
    I think the lack of news regarding Pre3 is due to HP's current focus. They've probably got the entire webOS team focused on the TouchPad update, which is due for delivery in less than a week.

Once that rolls out (and doesn't have any major issues), they're probably focusing on wrapping up the next update for the Veer, and they'll start work on the next update for the TouchPad.

After those next two updates are out the door, we'll probably start seeing the Pre3 rumblings return, and the thing will probably be out in early September. At which time it still won't be late - the summer doesn't end until near September's closing days. And it won't be "underpowered" in the grand scheme of things, unless you're one of the myopic types who say FIVE CORES AND TWENTY GEE-BEES OF RAM OR I'M NOT BUYING IT!!!!1!
    The TouchPad is still no excuse for them to hold back on the phones. One thing HP kept saying is that they have the scale to make things happen, but this clearly isn't happening right now. Also don't forget one big selling point of the TouchPad was that it works cooperatively with a webOS phone with Touch-to-Share and is a big seller on the TouchPad's page. NONE of the webOS phones on the market can enable that feature (Veer doesn't count since the update isn't available yet). Without these features the TouchPad is just yet another tablet on the market that even the browser doesn't work properly.

Therefore, note to HP: hurry the hell up.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    johncc, Tikkanen and rkd7777 like this.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

HP doesn't know how to work on more than one product at a time?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I been away for 2 weeks from PreCentral... still no news for the release of Pre3?
    I see that now the site frontpage became Touchpad pwned.. Maybe the site should be renamed TouchCentral?

Anyways, I was wondering if anything made surface. Curious if the specs are changed, not just the release date.
    Recently, a leaked roadmap slide from HP posted on this site called for a Fall release. Either issues with the phoe, issues with carriers or both.

Yes, and in six months time, there will be quadcore phones which makes these Nexus 4G look obsolete, and in six months time from then there will be i5 phones which will make the quad core phones look obsolete, and in another six months there will be i7 phones with blu ray screens that will make the i5 phones look obsolete, and in another six months... So in other words, you should be in a constant state of worry.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yes, and in six months time, there will be quadcore phones which makes these Nexus 4G look obsolete, and in six months time from then there will be i5 phones which will make the quad core phones look obsolete, and in another six months there will be i7 phones with blu ray screens that will make the i5 phones look obsolete, and in another six months... So in other words, you should be in a constant state of worry.
    THIS is why I am going to simply wait until they can implant a chip in my head and all I'll have to do is "think" of a webpage and it renders in my mind, and my every thought is INSTANTLY "tweeted" into the brains of everyone I know or is within NFC range.....at which point I will need to kill myself.

So, I suppose this is my "goodbye webOS (goodbye world?)" post!!
    caffeineplz likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast