Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    When it comes to lawsuits, HP is in a VERY interesting position with their ownership of the Palm patent portfolio. With those patents, it is very possible that HP could fully shut down the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad fully due to PDA related stuff.

Remember, the iPod Touch is just as much a PDA as it is a music player, and as such, falls under the PDA category. Tablets may stretch it a bit, but you could make the case of tablets being just a larger PDA since they are just larger versions of the phones/PDAs they are based off of.

In a way, it would be a wonderful thing to see HP rip Apple apart, and those same patents that would blast Apple would apply to Android, and possibly every other smartphone out there. Boom, HP suddenly is in the position to control the entire market. The key is that HP wouldn't have to be abusive toward Google, while Apple deserves it.
    quiet before the storm as several members put it
    It better be one hell of a storm, it's been quit for months!
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    T3CK likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    When it comes to lawsuits, HP is in a VERY interesting position with their ownership of the Palm patent portfolio. With those patents, it is very possible that HP could fully shut down the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad fully due to PDA related stuff.

Remember, the iPod Touch is just as much a PDA as it is a music player, and as such, falls under the PDA category. Tablets may stretch it a bit, but you could make the case of tablets being just a larger PDA since they are just larger versions of the phones/PDAs they are based off of.

In a way, it would be a wonderful thing to see HP rip Apple apart, and those same patents that would blast Apple would apply to Android, and possibly every other smartphone out there. Boom, HP suddenly is in the position to control the entire market. The key is that HP wouldn't have to be abusive toward Google, while Apple deserves it.
    In reality, all major players in the smart phone market have the ability to shut down each other in some form or another through their own respective patents.

Remember this patent? And this one? Or this one?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I work for HP but in a totally unrelated business unit (ESSN) but I go past the PSG demo room in Bracknell and we've got the Pre 3 in there and I have to say , it is really slick in the flesh. We've all been given Pre 2s as company phones ( so hopefully will help drive some updates to that phone or we'll hunt down the WebOS guys) but I have a horrible feeling I'll be compelled by geek lust to pay for a Pre 3 upgrade out of my own cash :-).

Pre 3 seems very fast in a subjective test and despite being longer and thinner still has that nice to hold feeling and soft touch back. Why anyone wants a cold aluminium or glass case (which by default you have to then stick in a case...) I don't know.

Speaking of those WebOS guys, need to find 'em and ask where my bleeping UK Kindle App is for my touchpad ;-).
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    In reality, all major players in the smart phone market have the ability to shut down each other in some form or another through their own respective patents.

Remember this patent? And this one? Or this one?
    This may be true, but Palm and RIM were doing this stuff well before Apple got into the mobile market, and as such, their patents would be more critical long-term. You can update your devices to avoid Apple patents(if any have real validity), but you can't avoid the Palm patents due to the PDA stuff.
    The likely biggest impact to Android is ending the free ride the manufacturers have been on. At the end of the day, Google is going to end up paying a bunch of money and licensing fees to a couple of companies, at least, and this cost WILL get passed on. It will make it much less profitable to push Android phones.

I still see Android as the BB of 2007-2008. RIM had it going on in the consumer space. What did them in is the lack of ease of use (many things factor into this). Android is still a convoluted mess. Every time I pick one up, I see all of this c**p all over the screen. It's information overload, and way too many things are not consistent from a UI perspective. If Honeycomb represents the future, there's a lot of good and bad in it. WebOS, Windows 7, and iOS are all much cleaner and easier to use from a layperson's point of view. When the fad ends, I think we'll see webOS, Win7, iOS, and Android sharing the market, with 2 of them in the teens, and the other 2 in the 25-35% range (talking state-side, not worldwide). Probably in about 1 year. Unless RIM really pulls it out of their backside, they're going to be in the single digits.

For me, webOS doesn't have to win...just be relevant, and continue to get better. I could care less if everyone is using it or not, so long as enough people are using it to bring the apps and keep the platform going.
    once again I see a Pre3 thread becoming an apple and android thread.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    haha well samsung pays 15 bux to microsoft for each android handset they make, which is crazy cuz i think msft only charges 5-10 bux for a wp7 handset!

android has lots and lots of holes, and it is no wonder samsung and other big androind manufactures are looking for another os to invest into. once webos gets some traction, apple will be in for a hurting. Palms patents are so vast that when webos first launched and they made the pre itunes compatible, that apple never once threating lawsuit, it just became a stupid cat and mouse game.

if apple thought twice about a lawsit against palm, which had no cash at the time. i can only imagine how they are feeling now with HP as the patent holders
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    This is really an interesting scenario right now. Definitely a quite before storm
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123