Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    THIS is why I am going to simply wait until they can implant a chip in my head and all I'll have to do is "think" of a webpage and it renders in my mind, and my every thought is INSTANTLY "tweeted" into the brains of everyone I know or is within NFC range.....at which point I will need to kill myself.

So, I suppose this is my "goodbye webOS (goodbye world?)" post!!
    Singularitarian... Here come the Cylons.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    THIS is why I am going to simply wait until they can implant a chip in my head and all I'll have to do is "think" of a webpage and it renders in my mind, and my every thought is INSTANTLY "tweeted" into the brains of everyone I know or is within NFC range.....at which point I will need to kill myself.

One of the best posts ever...LOL

LMAO! I'm trying to imagine what the world would be like if everyone's thoughts were transmitted via NFC...the mayhem... I wouldn't be able to go out in public...

We need to act NOW! Who's with me to join the Resistance to bring war to our Android overlords??!!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    We need to act NOW! Who's with me to join the Resistance to bring war to our Android overlords??!!
    I'm an Android overlord as I have now the Bell Samsung Galaxy S2.
    The Galaxy S2 is a great phone and if you are a Linux head you can do magical things with Android.

This is what matters:
    First, Google has an army of developers who constantly work to improve Android. Look at their number of activations (500,000/day!!! as we speak). Obviously, that means a lot of phones sold. HP can only dream to reach this kind of number.
    Second, the market place has 200,000 apps, compared to 6,000 on WebOS. Personally I don't care as I was never an app fan. I had only 3 apps installed on my Pre and I continue the tradition on Android with 4 apps installed. But what matters is the choice. Yes you get a ton of garbage apps but that allows users to actually have a wide variety. For example there are users who want their Twitter app to have "dancing monkeys" as background, OK you can get that on Android if you want.

Now the final words: Would I go back to WebOS? Not sure. Android has way too much potential to be ignored and what is cool is that you actually see a public road map with features and advancements done to the OS.

As developer, all these aspects are important to me. It does not mean they are for regular Joe who wants a funky phone that works great. It is a matter of choice.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    the.teejster likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The real problem we are dealing with is that HP isn't saying anything right now. WebOS as a platform is very good, and really, the question is more about how good the design is, not just "how much potential is there".

So, what matters, WebOS has been suffering from poor leadership when it comes to WebOS development and overall product development. They come up with a design, specs, they announce them to the world, and then they sit on it without talking to the community. You have a change in management, and again, we hear nothing, and so, the community as a whole is suffering.

As the title of this thread says, it's pathetic that a company as large as HP can't spare someone for five to ten minutes per week to tell us honestly what is going on with the Pre 3.

Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    The Galaxy S2 is a great phone and if you are a Linux head you can do magical things with Android.

This is what matters:
    First, Google has an army of developers who constantly work to improve Android. Look at their number of activations (500,000/day!!! as we speak). Obviously, that means a lot of phones sold. HP can only dream to reach this kind of number.
    Second, the market place has 200,000 apps, compared to 6,000 on WebOS. Personally I don't care as I was never an app fan. I had only 3 apps installed on my Pre and I continue the tradition on Android with 4 apps installed. But what matters is the choice. Yes you get a ton of garbage apps but that allows users to actually have a wide variety. For example there are users who want their Twitter app to have "dancing monkeys" as background, OK you can get that on Android if you want.

Now the final words: Would I go back to WebOS? Not sure. Android has way too much potential to be ignored and what is cool is that you actually see a public road map with features and advancements done to the OS.

As developer, all these aspects are important to me. It does not mean they are for regular Joe who wants a funky phone that works great. It is a matter of choice.
    T3CK and Tikkanen like this.
    On the positive side, in the last 2 months HP has been giving staff at Wireless Wave in Canada free Pre2's.

Just bought one for my wife, and the rep, who when I bought my Pre2 had never used one, was using one given to him by HP - and was impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    ... it's pathetic that a company as large as HP can't spare someone for five to ten minutes per week to tell us honestly what is going on with the Pre 3.
    it looks more HP is trying to act "super secret", like whole this Pre3 charade interest someone outside this boards. And that is pathetic. Completely out of reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    The real problem we are dealing with is that HP isn't saying anything right now. WebOS as a platform is very good, and really, the question is more about how good the design is, not just "how much potential is there".

Completely agree. It has nothing to do with lack of apps...but thats for a different thread....

This is what matters:

And yet, a few lawsuits are on the verge of taking down the entire Google Android empire due to their issues with using certain Java code without license, and the issue with Apple's patents. There is a very realistic possibility that Android could come to a screeching halt. Not saying it's the likely outcome, but a very real possibility. WebOS doesn't have to worry about that, as Palm basically patented the smartphone. Ain't nobody coming after them.

The one thing that cemented my lack of desire to ever go with Android came from a fellow Engineer at my company who had planned to get a Pre+ but waited a month too long (it got EOL'd right before he went in to upgrade). He ended up with a brand new Android phone, then got a car mount for it. Then he found out the support for the port to connect to his radio was not in the version of Android on his phone, and that the update was promised for his phone, but, months later, still hasn't come. It's the fragmentation of hardware/software support over the many versions that make me 100% convinced to stay away from Android (especially when combined with the horrid UI's - yes, I know you can tweak and change them). Right now Android is THE non-iPhone crowd fad. Guess what? Two years ago...that was BlackBerry. BB's went from business only, to all over the place, and now, people are dumping them like yesterday's bad habit despite a very large share of the pie back then.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    And yet, a few lawsuits are on the verge of taking down the entire Google Android empire due to their issues with using certain Java code without license, and the issue with Apple's patents. There is a very realistic possibility that Android could come to a screeching halt. Not saying it's the likely outcome, but a very real possibility. WebOS doesn't have to worry about that, as Palm basically patented the smartphone. Ain't nobody coming after them.
    Well lawsuits are always everywhere... look at the stupidity Apple pulls, by suing every company that uses the keywords "app store". W7F. Don't be surprised if WebOS might have something that will trigger Apple one day to sue HP because an icon color, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The one thing that cemented my lack of desire to ever go with Android came from a fellow Engineer at my company who had planned to get a Pre+ but waited a month too long (it got EOL'd right before he went in to upgrade). He ended up with a brand new Android phone, then got a car mount for it. Then he found out the support for the port to connect to his radio was not in the version of Android on his phone, and that the update was promised for his phone, but, months later, still hasn't come. It's the fragmentation of hardware/software support over the many versions that make me 100% convinced to stay away from Android (especially when combined with the horrid UI's - yes, I know you can tweak and change them). Right now Android is THE non-iPhone crowd fad. Guess what? Two years ago...that was BlackBerry. BB's went from business only, to all over the place, and now, people are dumping them like yesterday's bad habit despite a very large share of the pie back then.
    I think the Android hardware fails much less, compared to what WebOS users had to endure with the Pre (Oreo issues, screen problems, squeaky keyboard, battery life, etc.). I think there is 1 user for each 10,000 Pre phones sold that didn't have to replace their initial purchase because of faulty hardware. Personally, I had to replace my first Pre 4 times and the Pre2 once.

As much as I loved WebOS, I could not stand to wait for the Pre3 release while not having a phone at all. I waited almost 3 months with no phone because I really wanted my Pre3. I also had to sacrifice the beautiful cards for Android hidden multitasking just because I could not get the Navigation working properly on Bell network:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/...abed4bcb_o.png

I even hacked the Pre and went to extreme lengths with TeleNav/Bell to activate the Navigation software (and pay an extra $10/month), it simply did not worked because TeleNav refused to activate it on my phone (even if many other Bell users managed to do it in the beginning).

Again, I see much more promising advancement on Android. Why? The developers look at numbers. When you get feedback that 500,000 new users activated their phones yesterday only (that is A HOLE LOTS of phones), you are definitely excited to increase that number even further by releasing new features into your OS or to create paid apps that allow you to actually make some money.

In my books, it was clear: wait X more months to get an already deprecated Pre3 or get a Galaxy S2 now with plenty of power to sustain several Android new versions for the next 2 years. This is where HP fails. They focus on idiotic vendettas like the Touchpad and neglect the core WebOS users (phone). How the hell can you release apps or develop the OS if nobody has the chance to use it??? HP hurried to release a halfass-baked tablet full of bugs and hardware issues (ding-ding-ding) and now they are trying to fix the tablet issues, while totally neglecting the phone users.

HP, release a good phone running on great software (WebOS), so millions of users can use it (and allow developers to raise that tiny 6,000 apps number). Then release a working tablet without screen ghosting issues and buttons falling off... and everyone will be happy. Unfortunately, that will never happen. I bet for HP is more important to make their printers run on WebOS, rather than release a great phone.
    Last edited by T3CK; 07/27/2011 at 02:56 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Don't look at numbers alone, because that is also a "conventional wisdom" approach that we have seen has its flaws. I feel that with HP totally neglecting those with a current WebOS phone, they are showing that they are on the verge of abandoning the platform at this point. Seriously, Feb 9th, there are units that went out for the Touchpad reviews, yet they can't release the product? They can't talk about the product, or why we have been waiting for so long?

I am very close to telling my customers not to buy ANY HP product because they don't know how to communicate with their customers.

Well lawsuits are always everywhere... look at the stupidity Apple pulls, by suing every company that uses the keywords "app store". W7F. Don't be surprised if WebOS might have something that will trigger Apple one day to sue HP because an icon color, LOL.

I think the Android hardware fails much less, compared to what WebOS users had to endure with the Pre (Oreo issues, screen problems, squeaky keyboard, battery life, etc.). I think there is 1 user for each 10,000 Pre phones sold that didn't have to replace their initial purchase because of faulty hardware. Personally, I had to replace my first Pre 4 times and the Pre2 once.

As much as I loved WebOS, I could not stand to wait for the Pre3 release while not having a phone at all. I waited almost 3 months with no phone because I really wanted my Pre3. I also had to sacrifice the beautiful cards for Android hidden multitasking just because I could not get the Navigation working properly on Bell network:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/...abed4bcb_o.png

I even hacked the Pre and went to extreme lengths with TeleNav/Bell to activate the Navigation software (and pay an extra $10/month), it simply did not worked because TeleNav refused to activate it on my phone (even if many other Bell users managed to do it in the beginning).

Again, I see much more promising advancement on Android. Why? The developers look at numbers. When you get feedback that 500,000 new users activated their phones yesterday only (that is A HOLE LOTS of phones), you are definitely excited to increase that number even further by releasing new features into your OS or to create paid apps that allow you to actually make some money.

In my books, it was clear: wait X more months to get an already deprecated Pre3 or get a Galaxy S2 now with plenty of power to sustain several Android new versions for the next 2 years. This is where HP fails. They focus on idiotic vendettas like the Touchpad and neglect the core WebOS users (phone). How the hell can you release apps or develop the OS if nobody has the chance to use it??? HP hurried to release a halfass-baked tablet full of bugs and hardware issues (ding-ding-ding) and now they are trying to fix the tablet issues, while totally neglecting the phone users.

HP, release a good phone running on great software (WebOS), so millions of users can use it (and allow developers to raise that tiny 6,000 apps number). Then release a working tablet without screen ghosting issues and buttons falling off... and everyone will be happy. Unfortunately, that will never happen. I bet for HP is more important to make their printers run on WebOS, rather than release a great phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewebosportal View Post
    Ok, the Pre 3 is going to be released on september 22, that's what HP has said.
    According to your other posts in your Pre3 Release thread you mentioned that the only reason you are saying this is because HP had said "summer". I'm not sure I would say HP said "be released on" Sept 22.....you might get away with "by september 22"....
    Last edited by w2wpaul; 07/27/2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    it looks more HP is trying to act "super secret", like whole this Pre3 charade interest someone outside this boards. And that is pathetic. Completely out of reality.
    Why is not telling folks (especially folks that just seem to want to twist what is said) the details of ongoing negiotiations a "charade", "pathetic", and "out of reality".

What is sad is the level that some folks will sink to in order to somehow discredit anything/everything webOS or HP releated.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Well lawsuits are always everywhere... look at the stupidity Apple pulls, by suing every company that uses the keywords "app store". W7F. Don't be surprised if WebOS might have something that will trigger Apple one day to sue HP because an icon color, LOL...
    Sorry, the two big lawsuits with Android (the patent infringement from Apple, and Java code from Oracle/Sun) can hardly compare to the "app store" lawsuit, or "lawsuits are everywhere".

Either one of these has the potential to destroy Android. And with the Apple lawsuit, the ball's in their court now. If they announce "We have no intention of licensing our products to any vendor", watch what happens to Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, the two big lawsuits with Android (the patent infringement from Apple, and Java code from Oracle/Sun) can hardly compare to the "app store" lawsuit, or "lawsuits are everywhere".

Either one of these has the potential to destroy Android. And with the Apple lawsuit, the ball's in their court now. If they announce "We have no intention of licensing our products to any vendor", watch what happens to Android.
    Food for thought. Sun CEO's deleted blog post to help end Oracle vs Google patent dispute? -- Engadget
    im really saddened seeing the current state of webos. HP needs to move quick and in addition to the 'so called' pre3 make a higher end 4" slab device. you know i remember back when i first saw previews of webos years ago, i was blown away and really thought it would dominate. it's sad to see it like it is. by the time this or any other webos phone ships most if not all users will have moved on to other devices.

myself i moved to android and i love it, will i come back to webos? depends on what the phone has to offer.. right now i see the fanbase dropping off every day and i could not be with a device like that. this community is the best ive seen but sadly i too notice how slow it is round these parts. HP/palm have let us down consistently and IMO it sucks!

the best thing HP can do is let other companies like HTC or samsung use webos and build from there.
    Why is not telling folks (especially folks that just seem to want to twist what is said) the details of ongoing negiotiations a "charade", "pathetic", and "out of reality".

What is sad is the level that some folks will sink to in order to somehow discredit anything/everything webOS or HP releated.
    Because HP's secrecy about reasons for pulling Pre3 specs,and blurry predictions about Pre3 carrier availability are creating negative impression on current webOS users which are confused what to do. Folks ready for phone switch on Sprint doesn't know would Pre3 be available on their network. They live in vacuum filed with rumors. Others, with old and faulty Pre pluses on other carriers doesn't know whether they'll wait Pre3 or to pick some other phone.
    HP announced Pre3 six months ago, with availability "somewhere in summer". Now, in the middle of summer, webOS community expected firm release date announcement, but instead we witnessed specs pull down.
    All of this is not usual pre release steps. I'm not saying HP is abandoning Pre3, but this HP's behavior have resemblance with infamous Slate launch and that's what ****es people of.

EDIT:
    about Android Java infringement: Oracle is instructed by court to lower their allegations to reasonable level, its obvious already now that their lawsuit will not sink Android ship.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/27/2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm not saying HP is abandoning Pre3, but this HP's behavior have resemblance with infamous Slate launch and that's what ****es people of.

ive had a feeling lately that this is what HP IS doing to a tee.
    Don't worry...I'm sure if it got to a point where Android would be destroyed, our fearless leader would step in to save it since its so vital to the structure of the American economy...or something...
    Last edited by w2wpaul; 07/27/2011 at 06:26 PM.

neither one of those will destroy android.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast