Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 65fastback
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

What Will HP's Design Group Come Up With In Future webOS Devices?

Now that HP has rearranged the deck chairs in the webOS division and the fact that the Pre3 is supposed to be the last device designed by what was Palm's designers. The next generation is being designed by HP's design group and not by what was once Palm.

Do any of you have any suggestions or guesses in what we'll see.

1. One of my guesses shortly down the road is a fold up or roll up screen.

2. Palm has a number of patents in roll up screens and HP has a number in folding screens.

3. HP signed a contract late last year with the US Army to develop a handheld device with either a roll up or folding screen.

Now that flexible screens are now possible with OLED screens, I would think this isn't that far off into the future. I think I read somewhere that there are versions of OLED's that are so bright they won't need back lighting and will therefore use less power and have a lighter less complex design.

This will allow for lighter smaller, (when folded or rolled up), handhelds but with far greater screens than possible today.

BTW the contract with the US Army isn't classified but the purpose of this device and the operating system are classified. We well may never get to see the device, but my guess is that design elements of this device will be down the road soon.

Please let me know what you feel HP will do in the near future.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmmm sounds like a keyocera echo hahaha
    It doesn't. Google fold-up displays (or McKinney foil display) and you'll see that what he's talking about is NOT a Kyocera Echo, even if the Echo is trying to do a similar thing with regular screens.
    everyone talks about virtual keyboards being the "thing"

the problem is they take up screen real estate.

to that effect, i think you might see a dual screen slider phone before a roll up/fold phone. just think instead of the pre keyboard, you extend the phone and the bottom is a thin screen that can be used as your keyboard OR running a different app. think echo but not echo at all
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    NoICon likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    everyone talks about virtual keyboards being the "thing"

the problem is they take up screen real estate.

to that effect, i think you might see a dual screen slider phone before a roll up/fold phone. just think instead of the pre keyboard, you extend the phone and the bottom is a thin screen that can be used as your keyboard OR running a different app. think echo but not echo at all
    Hi,
    in terms of retail models I agree with you...but I know for fact that the US Army did award a contract to HP for folding/roll up screen for some kind of hand held device.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,
    in terms of retail models I agree with you...but I know for fact that the US Army did award a contract to HP for folding/roll up screen for some kind of hand held device.

Take care,

Jay
    oh i know.

i only ever speak in terms of retail
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)