1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP claims do over with TouchPad launch
    By James Kendrick | July 18, 2011, 10:55am PDT

HP claims do over with TouchPad launch | ZDNet

The crowds you heard cheering yesterday weren’t for the women’s World Cup finals, they must have been for the “relaunch” of the HP TouchPad. Yes, the first HP tablet running its webOS system went on sale a couple of weeks ago, but according to a couple of company executives the real launch was yesterday, July 17. That’s when sales began in earnest according to an interview with Joshua Topolsky of This is My Next.

The statements about the real launch were in response to Topolsky’s questioning the pair about why HP released the TouchPad with bugs that need to be patched immediately. The response was that the original launch was in effect a dry run. No matter how HP tries to spin it, the fickle response to the TouchPad release points out the big hurdles HP is facing with webOS.

The executives making the statements to Topolsky were none other than Jon Rubinstein and Stephen DeWitt. DeWitt is the executive that HP has just put in charge of webOS for the company, replacing ex-Palm CEO Rubinstein who now takes an “innovation” role with the company. These are the two guys at the very top of the HP webOS organization spanning both TouchPad launches. Their responses about the lukewarm reception to the TouchPad smacked of spin control to make way for the future.

The mobile game is not a sprint according to pundits, it is a marathon and that is what HP is preparing to run with webOS. What that old adage doesn’t address is that in the rapidly moving mobile space, you have to be invited to run the race. Just as importantly, the race has already begun. That is the position HP is in currently with webOS, trying to get invited to run the race the rest of the pack are already running. The race may be a marathon, but it is fraught with hurdles that HP must be prepared to jump to stay in the race.

The webOS history is short but it is important to remember. The original Palm Pre phone running webOS was the product aimed at saving Palm from demise, and the lackluster sales didn’t deliver on that goal. The refresh of the Pre (Pre 2) delivered more of the same, with the same result. Dismal sales figures cemented the need for Palm to find a buyer to keep the webOS platform, if not the Palm name, going forward. HP stepped in to the tune of $1.2 billion to buy Palm, a transaction really executed to get hold of the webOS platform as the only thing of that value Palm offered.

The first webOS tablet was watched very closely when released this month to see if HP had stepped up to bring a winning product to market. Reviews of the TouchPad were consistent, and unfortunately for HP not in a good way. The tablet exhibited bugs that would have to be squashed quickly to give HP any chance at all in the hot tablet segment. That HP’s official response was to claim “do over” with the launch wasn’t reassuring to those watching the first webOS released by HP.

HP has a big task ahead of it with webOS. It probably can’t go anywhere in the phone space with the platform as it basically has already failed with that. The Pre 3 that was demonstrated in February this year didn’t show any groundbreaking features to set it apart from the earlier Palm handsets. Those didn’t sell well so there is no reason to expect the Pre 3 to do any better in the market.

The tablet segment presents a brand new area to take webOS, but releasing a buggy product in the TouchPad didn’t do HP any favors. The onus is on the company to get all bugs patched and really quickly to have a chance. There was little wiggle room for HP’s TouchPad launch, and having to relaunch it didn’t cut it. I personally like the TouchPad I bought on launch day, or make that prelaunch day I guess, but that’s just me. The tablet space is highly competitive as Android device makers will attest, and as the new platform on the block HP better get really solid and quickly. It is doable I believe, but it better happen soon.

HP is making noise about putting webOS on other devices like printers, and there is business potential for that. The problem with that effort is that it won’t extend webOS as a platform as far as consumers are concerned. The printers will represent just another line of such products from HP, and that doesn’t keep the $1.2 billion platform name front and center.

HP has talent and resources to make a good run with webOS, but it better get things in order immediately. The race has already begun and it will take a flawless performance by HP to have any chance to be in contention.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    ChemEngr and threed61#WN like this.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    its funny, I read articles that talk about the poor performance and bugs with the TP and I think to myself...wow, that must be a horrible product. Then I remember that they are talking about the same device that I'm holding in my hands! And I absolutely love it! I dont see the same problems that others are seeing. It works perfectly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    its funny, I read articles that talk about the poor performance and bugs with the TP and I think to myself...wow, that must be a horrible product. Then I remember that they are talking about the same device that I'm holding in my hands! And I absolutely love it! I dont see the same problems that others are seeing. It works perfectly for me.
    Not good enough. It must sell to millions. Lukewarm receptions won't cut it.

This mantra, it a sprint, it's a marathon, is a cover statement. All races look like a marathon when you're in the back of the pack.
    threed61#WN and chalx like this.
    He acts like HP doesn't have a large Printer/PC userbase?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Rnp and ilovedessert like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    It is a biased article using incorrect facts to support his opinion. For example, he states that the Pre 2 could not save Palm when in fact the Pre 2 was released months after HP purchased Palm.
    Titano likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    He acts like HP doesn't have a large Printer/PC userbase?
    Not realevant to article. The article is on webos. The HP userbase is not adopting webos in droves. Webos on printers does little to premote webos to the man on the street. What user cares what OS is on their printer, they just want to print.

Still not helping webos gain a foothold.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It is a biased article using incorrect facts to support his opinion. For example, he states that the Pre 2 could not save Palm when in fact the Pre 2 was released months after HP purchased Palm.
    He was probably referring to the Pre + or whatever came after the Pre -. Some people can consider that the second version. With so little traction the misstep by the author is moot. Pre-, Pre+ or Pre 2, what's the difference? Same results.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/19/2011 at 03:57 AM.
    Not realevant to article.
    Question: How to recognize a Apple F***oy? When he says "Not realevant"!!

Háháháháhá... sorry about this off topic, but is fan-tas-tic that I always see this from in english, germany, spanish and portuguese (BR)! Serious, I'm not joking!

Well, about the article... yes, the HP make some mistakes just releasing the ToucHPad for sales together the reviewers. I believe that could be interesting first send to some "experts in press", wait for his feedbacks and release to sell one or two weeks after, with any fast fixes, but what is done, is done!

So, I was thinking about this "slow and insane HP strategy", but... let's gonna see for other way: I don't know if all you remember, but the Palm was the first company to speak about the "netbooks" (Foleo), but was the Asus who came first and has dominated the market and after lost his position to Acer. But now, the HP is consolidated in market.

Okay, I know that the Tablets is growing while the netbook market is "slowed", but the HP know this too...

I can be wrong, but I believe that the HP gonna follow the same strategy that was in printers, in PCs and in netbooks: slow and steady...

Is right? Is wrong? I'll say in some years...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Not good enough. It must sell to millions. Lukewarm receptions won't cut it.

This mantra, it a sprint, it's a marathon, is a cover statement. All races look like a marathon when you're in the back of the pack.
    I agree on that, and must add - all races look like marathon when you can't catchup with guys leading a race. HP really must catchup millions of users to be in race at all. Hope they can.
    all races look like marathon when you can't catchup with guys leading a race.
    How I posted above, the HP begun after in other markets and gonne until the top...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    can someone explain to be what this sentence means?

"HP claims do over with TouchPad launch"

no matter how I read it it just doesn't make any kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    can someone explain to be what this sentence means?

"HP claims do over with TouchPad launch"

no matter how I read it it just doesn't make any kind of sense.
    It is a bit awkward. It might be easier with "do-over" in quotes. A "do-over" is like in golf when you ask for a "mulligan", proclaiming that your first attempt at didn't count and that you are entitled to try again a second time without penalty.
    Thanks that makes more sense. In English(uk classic version) we use the word redo. Do-over means to beat someone up.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Thanks that makes more sense. In English(uk classic version) we use the word redo. Do-over means to beat someone up.
    Hehe, that's actually quite a comical distinction. Those of us from across the pond should remember that difference when visiting. The last thing we want to do after a mistake is accidentally ask for a good thrashing!
    Grabber5.0 and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    ;-)

yeah and remember not to drive on the pavement. And when we ask if you've got a ***, we dont think your a gay pimp.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    ehh. It's blanked out cigarette(***).