Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 3 Post By Loiter
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    What kind of strange analysis makes you think the gesture area of the Pre's lack intuition? Very odd article that basically says the gesture area been scrapped when infact it's still on the phones where it does a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    One of the few homages that the Palm Pre paid to the Palm Pilot was the gesture area, a separate part of the display face below the screen used for swipes just as the Pilot had a separate area devoted to entering Graffiti strokes. Unfortunately (like Graffiti before it), the gesture area was one of the least intuitive aspects of the Pre's operation, and HP has been moving away from it as a required navigation element. On the TouchPad, the gesture area has been scrapped in favor of an iPad-like bottom button.
    Engadget article

Written, copied and pasted using my Pre's very clever gesture area!
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/18/2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling correction, english not my first language
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yeah, I saw that too. Stopped reading the article as soon as they said that though.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Here's the reason why I felt the article was crap...

Showed the swipes (back, up & powerbutton unlock) to my mother so she could lend my Pre and listen to pod radio using Dr.Podder. She handed my Pre back and said that pod radio was great, this was two days ago.

Yesterday she "nicked" my Pre and managed it without even asking for help.

Mom is retired, close to 70 and up until now I considered her to be a bit techonolgy challenged. I guess I was wrong.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    it's true that the gestures are not immediately obvious. But when you know they're there, they become second nature.
    If gestures are not intuitive, how come I tried to swipe between "open" apps on my friends iPhone the other day?
    they arent "intuitive" because they arent marked....they ARE intuitive because swiping back is what people do. when someone wants to go back they make a left-moving hand gesture. very intuitive.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Engadget is right - the gestures aren't intuitive. Where Engadget went wrong is that they are intuitive once you learn them.

The first step to intuitive is discoverability, and webOS smartphones lack big time in that department. But once somebody shows you how it works, you can't go back.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    nhavar likes this.
    Engadget has gone way downhill since Josh Topolsky left, as much as I dislike Josh for being such a big Apple ******...

AOL Way kicking in high gear. All their articles these days are just attempts at starting a ****** war in their comments section.
    kamalot likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Engadget has gone way downhill since Josh Topolsky left, as much as I dislike Josh for being such a big Apple ******...

AOL Way kicking in high gear. All their articles these days are just attempts at starting a ****** war in their comments section.
    Josh? Apple ******? Is this bizarro world?
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    Josh? Apple ******? Is this bizarro world?
    He likes webOS but he is still one.
    kamalot likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    They will become intuitive when Steve Jobs "discovers" them and implements them.
    65fastback, Rnp and kamalot like this.