Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bobsentell
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By deCorvett
  • 2 Post By dec
  • 1 Post By jetsetter883
  1.    #1  
    Hi all.

Please make sure you read this until the very end!

Take care,

Jay

Readers respond to HP, Apple comparison
    JULY 16, 2011 5:17 PM PDT

Readers respond to HP, Apple comparison | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Hewlett-Packard is strong in areas Apple isn't. And doesn't aspire to be Apple. That's the essence of some of the feedback that I got in the wake of a critique I wrote of Hewlett-Packard last week.
    To quickly summarize, I wrote that HP doesn't innovate in a way that creates products like the iPhone or iPad, despite being one of the original--if not the original--Silicon Valley start-up. And despite declarations made by former CEOs about reclaiming some of that start-up spirit.

Needless to say, I do read the comments attached to my posts. And because my opinion is certainly not infallible, I take valid counterpoints seriously.
    There seemed to be more than the usual push-back in this case, so I think it's worth posting excerpts of reader comments.

Don't try to fit HP into the Apple mold: "Given the fact that HP OWNS the printer market, OWNS the plotter market, OWNS the corporate PC and server market, OWNS the test instrument market, I think they'll be OK when the day is done if they don't yet own the consumer-electronics market....I think you're trying to wish HP into an Apple mold--and that won't necessarily work...Ask any IT professional. When supporting groups, departments, divisions, and enterprises, solid is preferable to edgy and cool. This is why HP has so many enterprise agreements with Fortune 500 companies." (murph0613)

HP dominates the commercial PC business: "Interesting argument, but considering HP dominates the commercial market I don't see any reason they should be concerned about being branded as having bland consumer products. People will always buy HP when they want something reliable and familiar. Tablets are nifty but...pretty much limited to traveling businessmen and bosses who want to dazzle people by surfing the Web in meetings without having to squint [at a smartphone]. Where's Apple's market share in the enterprise server world? Somehow I think the bean counters at HP are perfectly happy with the billions they rake in from servers, storage, printers, and services." (Ibidibidibidubi)

Apple is a marketing phenomenon: "Truth is, in some areas Apple has innovated, and in others, it hasn't as much as other companies. The difference seems to be that a large group of consumers have, for one reason or another, decided that they like Apple better, so they prefer to buy Apple over other manufacturers. But I don't think it is strictly 'innovation.' Much of it is simply good marketing." (HMPhx)

Too focused on hardware: "The problem with [the] article is that it is too focused on the hardware. It doesn't give credit for all the advantages of [HP's] WebOS. It says that the Touchpad is too thick. That's a fair criticism, but it doesn't mention that some of the thickness is required for the INNOVATIVE inductive charging feature of the Touchpad. The Touchpad, when you factor in the superior OS, is pretty equal to the iOS. (bmacfarland)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Saw that earlier. Found it interesting. Not that CNET will learn anything, but interesting anyway.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    CNET are a bunch of crApple nuthuggers. I hate to say it, but Computerworld is headed that way as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    CNET are a bunch of crApple nuthuggers. I hate to say it, but Computerworld is headed that way as well...
    Sad, but true.
    they prefer to buy apple because they have positioned themselves as a fashion statement.. A trend. The sheep want to be apart of that trend. Fit into the crowd so that they are 'cool'
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    they prefer to buy apple because they have positioned themselves as a fashion statement.. A trend. The sheep want to be apart of that trend. Fit into the crowd so that they are 'cool'
    kjb86,

I believe your statement is completely true. CNet lost all credibility to me when they decided that fitting in was more acceptable than telling the truth. They stop caring about true innovation for sleek and flashy. Their reviews are littered with stuff that sensible people don't care about. Instead of telling us what a device offers they concentrate on how it looks or how it will make you look. Tech products to them have become expensive fashion items. They are like the kids who wear the hats with the tags on them or buy a team hat because they like the color, not the team.

If they want to impress me again they will cover the TCO (total cost of ownership) items important to buying an expensive product. Talk about functionality as well as price of purchase, support from the manufacturer, warranty information, and REAL reliability data based on actual testing and company history, not "its metal and thats plastic so we think it will last longer". Also, quit doing the stupid overviews and stick to detailed analysis of a product based on users surveyed needs.
    kjb86 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Hi all,

I agree with all of you.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    ...some of the thickness is required for the INNOVATIVE inductive charging feature of the Touchpad.
    I found this comment pretty funny. For how long is this still going to be innovative? I mean, inductive charging WAS innovative, but it just isn't in the TP. That isn't to say that it isn't good, but the all caps emphasis on it being innovative was funny to me.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    It says that the Touchpad is too thick. That's a fair criticism, but it doesn't mention that some of the thickness is required for the INNOVATIVE inductive charging feature of the Touchpad. The Touchpad, when you factor in the superior OS, is pretty equal to the iOS. (bmacfarland)[/FONT][/B]
    I can agree if the battery in TP was as big as IP-2 and it was thicker than IP-2 due to the inductive coiling presence. But the battery is TP is smaller than IP-2 and TP is still thicker. Everyone knows more than 70% of the space is occupied by the battery. Just looking at the TP teardown, its easily visible why its thicker. Components are just not packed tightly like in IP-2. This inductive coling business is just an illusion for not spending extra money and effort to pack those components more tightly.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I found this comment pretty funny. For how long is this still going to be innovative? I mean, inductive charging WAS innovative, but it just isn't in the TP. That isn't to say that it isn't good, but the all caps emphasis on it being innovative was funny to me.
    Well, I would say that it will continue being innovative while no other manufacturer comes with an inductive charging solution out of the box.
    Newness Developments apps:

ilovedessert and cobrakon like this.
    some of the thickness is required for the INNOVATIVE inductive charging feature of the Touchpad. The Touchpad, when you factor in the superior OS, is pretty equal to the iOS. (bmacfarland)
    Bull. I know they claimed this, I don't buy it. Watch this fall when Apple comes out with the new products and you'll see a super thin device that wirelessly charges. The wireless charging will not make it thicker, it'll probably be even thinner than the iPhone 4.
  12. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I think HP senior leadership should be quite comfortable with how the TouchPad has made it onto the scene. Somewhat quietly, they've caught some heads. The haters came out and the whiners whined about Blah Blah Blah, but if you take a look where HP has come in the last 12+ months, they've done well with bringing in the remnants of Palm.

Interesting to watch is what wall-street is saying of HP of late. While HP certainly is not expecting or relying on the TouchPad to drive its margin or gross funds, most all of the business articles focus on the unknown that webOS is going to have . . .and of course we all think just the Pre 3 and TouchPad are important.

Think Beyond is the exciting part . . . future tablets, future phones (yep I'm thinking Sprint will happen) and webOS on the PC. Anyone else think Ruby wearing the new title is now focused on the 'next' of the innovation? WebOS on additional manufacturers as part of everyone against apple continues in the next 2 years ~
    kjb86 and ilovedessert like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I can agree if the battery in TP was as big as IP-2 and it was thicker than IP-2 due to the inductive coiling presence. But the battery is TP is smaller than IP-2 and TP is still thicker. Everyone knows more than 70% of the space is occupied by the battery. Just looking at the TP teardown, its easily visible why its thicker. Components are just not packed tightly like in IP-2. This inductive coling business is just an illusion for not spending extra money and effort to pack those components more tightly.
    This argument was exhausted on another thread. The coil does add the thickness. However most don't seem to care about the thickness, which is why we believe CNet is all about fashion instead of functionality. These are not supermodels. These are tables that have nominal differences in weight and thickness. Also, cramming electronics into smaller and smaller spaces starts causing issues with heat and interference. Will the iPad2 fail quicker then the Touchpad because it has the potential to overheat? What was Apple thinking?

I've seen the iPad2 and the Touchpad side by side in videos. I prefer the rounded corners of the Touchpad to the iPad2. What's the matter with Apple? What was their excuse for making it so square? Didn't they know that would have to compete with HP? I can see them losing market share over those square corners. Ugly...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Bull. I know they claimed this, I don't buy it. Watch this fall when Apple comes out with the new products and you'll see a super thin device that wirelessly charges. The wireless charging will not make it thicker, it'll probably be even thinner than the iPhone 4.
    Well when this system Apple is developing comes out we will see then. Right now there is nothing Apple or anyone else has to compare the Touchpad's system to so HP is out front on this and this line of argument is kinda useless.
    not an apple fan but their tablet is what others measure to. hp/palm is one step behind and playing catchup. hp really needs to step it up
    I'm not sure why everyone is so caught up in the "a tablet has to be super thin" thing. I've spent some time playing with the iPad2 and a little time with the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I actually prefer the thickness of the Touchpad. Being a little thicker with the rounded edges makes it feel much better in the hands than the super thin tablets. I think the thickness should stay as is and just reduce the weight a bit and it would be perfect.

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Touchpad is the first tablet capable of inductive charging.. and if it means a few extra mm i'm all for it.
    cobrakon likes this.