Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Looks like Josh got another exclusive. There are way too many interesting bits in this for me to cherrypick.

Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...
    mperkinsky likes this.
  2.    #2  
    Actually, I take that back. This part is just hilarious:

Joshua Topolsky: I’m glad you brought up the TouchPad 4G. The PRPRPR $says$ $this$ $device$ $has$ $a$ $faster$ $CPU$ $than$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $you$ $just$ $released$ $to$ $consumers$. $Can$ $you$ $explain$ $why$ $there$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $difference$ $between$ $this$ $new$ $product$, $and$ $the$ $one$ $that$ $was$ $released$ $about$ $two$ $weeks$ $ago$? $Why$ $the$ $spec$ $difference$?

Jon: Because we can.

Joshua Topolsky: Well, if I went out and bought the TouchPad, and then 14 days later I hear there’s a new one with a faster CPU, I would feel a little burned by HP.

Jon: C’mon Josh, recognize first of all that it’s not available 14 days later.
    This has to be my all-time favorite interview. Josh tore DeWitt, Jon, and HP a new one. I love it.

"Because we can." - Never have I hated Jon Rubinstein more...
  4.    #4  
    They really don't do themselves any favors, huh?
    I love how Josh doesn't let you get away with half-arsed answers.

Asked the same thing differently 3 different times:

"but it’s clear that the Palm moniker is going away. Is it going away completely? What was the decision behind not retaining that?"

"So you’re not putting it to bed completely?"

"So it’s safe to say that Palm as a brand is not necessarily going away?"
  6.    #6  
    This part is amazing too:

TIMN: Okay, let’s move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but you’ve got the Pre 3 coming. It’s running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. You’re encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldn’t say it’s an older OS. It’s certainly a different OS. We didn’t want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said ‘how do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,’ and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So you’re right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, it’s not going to run the tablet apps. That’s how it works on every other phone that’s out there.

TIMN: But you’re still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and we’ll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but we’re not going to talk about that now.

TIMNs: Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: We’re not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN: But it will happen?

Jon: No, I haven’t even said it’s going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now that’s not the plan.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Rubinsein is a PRPRPR $disaster$. $HP$ $need$ $to$ $get$ $someone$ $likeable$ $in$ $there$ $asap$. $Don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $DeWitt$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $right$ $man$, $but$ $away$ $from$ $Rubinstein$ $he$ $might$ $be$ $OK$.
    laoh and darkzone like this.
    Thanks.
    I cross posted this to the Engadget interview thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3031406
    Brilliant one-liners from Ruby will never disappoint you /s
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Rubinsein is a PRPRPR $disaster$. $HP$ $need$ $to$ $get$ $someone$ $likeable$ $in$ $there$ $asap$. $Don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $DeWitt$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $right$ $man$, $but$ $away$ $from$ $Rubinstein$ $he$ $might$ $be$ $OK$.
    Rubinstein a PRPRPR $disaster$? -- $You$ $betcha$!
    I like Ruby. But he's not too PRPRPR $savvy$. $His$ $repeated$ &$quot$;$we$'$ve$ $talked$ $about$ $this$ $before$ $Josh$&$quot$; $comments$ $show$ $that$. $Jon$ $and$ $Josh$ $have$ $had$ $many$ $chats$ $and$ $not$ $all$ $of$ $them$ $public$. $But$ $he$ $should$ $realise$ $that$ $in$ $an$ $interview$ $like$ $this$ $he$'$s$ $talking$ $to$ $the$ $public$ $not$ $just$ $Josh$.

that being said. The mans a gifted engineer and i'd rather live in a world without PRPRPR $spin$ $docs$ $than$ $engineers$.
    This interview doesn't make me feel hopeful for the future... lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    The guys at thisismynext got a new interview
    thanks, posted here below and there's a link in this post to another thread where it is posted

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3031406
    <<threads merged>>
    What does Ruby do? When Aari is the main guy leading development of webOS.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I read this interview and they really need to keep ruby from speaking to the media from now on. As someone with his feet on both sides of the fence, I could leave Webos forever at the instant a phone is released. I felt satiated by what Dewitt said, his demeanor and his overall confidence.

Ruby came across arrogant and gave the impression that HP/palm has no idea what they are doing and has no vision/path for the future. when did "because we can" make a valid answer? Is the cpu in the 4g touchpad clocked up or a different cpu?? I've never heard of the same cpu being "binned" at different speeds. If the same cpus were clocked different it was software that did it.

An appropriate answer to the difference could have been simply "we needed the extra speed for handling 4g and more memory" everyone one would've bought it even if that isn't true.

I'm glad that Dewitt is in charge, but I'm still feeling funny about webos and its future
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I read this interview and they really need to keep ruby from speaking to the media from now on. As someone with his feet on both sides of the fence, I could leave Webos forever at the instant a phone is released. I felt satiated by what Dewitt said, his demeanor and his overall confidence.

Ruby came across arrogant and gave the impression that HP/palm has no idea what they are doing and has no vision/path for the future. when did "because we can" make a valid answer? Is the cpu in the 4g touchpad clocked up or a different cpu?? I've never heard of the same cpu being "binned" at different speeds. If the same cpus were clocked different it was software that did it.

An appropriate answer to the difference could have been simply "we needed the extra speed for handling 4g and more memory" everyone one would've bought it even if that isn't true.

I'm glad that Dewitt is in charge, but I'm still feeling funny about webos and its future
    Imagine CPUs coming off of an assembly line. The manufacturing process is so small and precise that the yields aren't going to be as high as you'd like. So you run off a bunch of 1.5GHz CPUs and maybe 40% of them work fine at 1.5GHz. The rest of them work fine up to 1.2GHz so you just ship them as 1.2GHz processors. That's pretty much the deal with the 4G TouchPad.

As for DeWitt...I dunno, I'm starting to see what the Thisismynext commenters are saying about his marketingspeak. He really uses a lot of words to say very little.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Imagine CPUs coming off of an assembly line. The manufacturing process is so small and precise that the yields aren't going to be as high as you'd like. So you run off a bunch of 1.5GHz CPUs and maybe 40% of them work fine at 1.5GHz. The rest of them work fine up to 1.2GHz so you just ship them as 1.2GHz processors. That's pretty much the deal with the 4G TouchPad.

As for DeWitt...I dunno, I'm starting to see what the Thisismynext commenters are saying about his marketingspeak. He really uses a lot of words to say very little.
    Ok I understand that. That's not a valid answer to me. HP has the money and the resources to ensure an even experience across the line. Now it sounds like they threw the scraps out first to make their deadline and are trying to spin this 4g as better, when they probably intended to have the entire line running at 1.5 from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I love how Josh doesn't let you get away with half-arsed answers.

Asked the same thing differently 3 different times:

"but it’s clear that the Palm moniker is going away. Is it going away completely? What was the decision behind not retaining that?"

"So you’re not putting it to bed completely?"

"So it’s safe to say that Palm as a brand is not necessarily going away?"
    My guess is once they see they are not getting the market share they desire, they will relaunch the Treo brand, and maybe bring back the Foleo running webOS & throw the Palm name on it.

Guarantee that will cause a lot of excitement & buzz in the tech world; as long as they don't release it 6+ months after announcing it, it should be a hit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast