Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #21  
    I've been Jon Rubenstein's biggest critic but in this case, he is right. Joshua T. at this is my next doesn't understand processor binning.
    Just so everyone understands: the Touchpad wifi uses a 1.2ghz chip. This clock speed is set by Qualcomm, not HP. These were the first one's available from Qualcomm. The 1.5ghz became available later, and I'm sure in smaller quantities (because there are less 1.5ghz than 1.2ghz chips).
    When it became available from Qualcomm, HP decided to put it in the 4G version. I'm sure they would have liked to put it in the wifi version if it was available at sufficient quantities early enough. It wasn't. I'm glad they are doing it personally. It is not a bad thing.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    My guess is once they see they are not getting the market share they desire, they will relaunch the Treo brand, and maybe bring back the Foleo running webOS & throw the Palm name on it.

    Guarantee that will cause a lot of excitement & buzz in the tech world; as long as they don't release it 6+ months after announcing it, it should be a hit.
    I remember Sony trying that with the Walkman brand. Nobody cared.
    SmartFah likes this.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Ok I understand that. That's not a valid answer to me. HP has the money and the resources to ensure an even experience across the line. Now it sounds like they threw the scraps out first to make their deadline and are trying to spin this 4g as better, when they probably intended to have the entire line running at 1.5 from the start.
    Remember, HP isn't making these chips, and they are not using substandard parts. It is like HTC offering a google phone with a 1ghz chip, and then a month later offering a 1.2 ghz phone. They did it because "they could". Qualcomm or Ti had 1.2ghz chips for sale in sufficient quantities, so they are now selling it to their customers. I'm glad that HP is going to give us a 25% increase now instead of waiting for a product refresh a year later.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I've been Jon Rubenstein's biggest critic but in this case, he is right. Joshua T. at this is my next doesn't understand processor binning.
    Just so everyone understands: the Touchpad wifi uses a 1.2ghz chip. This clock speed is set by Qualcomm, not HP. These were the first one's available from Qualcomm. The 1.5ghz became available later, and I'm sure in smaller quantities (because there are less 1.5ghz than 1.2ghz chips).
    When it became available from Qualcomm, HP decided to put it in the 4G version. I'm sure they would have liked to put it in the wifi version if it was available at sufficient quantities early enough. It wasn't. I'm glad they are doing it personally. It is not a bad thing.
    He may be right but there are things you should say and things you shouldn't say. Why would you talk about yields and the fact that you have the less perfect version of the same processor in what is essentially the same tablet? There are better ways to handle that question.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    He may be right but there are things you should say and things you shouldn't say. Why would you talk about yields and the fact that you have the less perfect version of the same processor in what is essentially the same tablet? There are better ways to handle that question.
    The problem is that Jon thought that Joshua T. understood processor bins and speeds and couldn't believe that as a tech writer he didn't. Obviously, most people reading it don't either and they thought Joshua was proving Jon wrong. He didn't. He just showed his lack of knowledge.
  6.    #26  
    Right, just say it's a spec bump and be done with it.

    Instead he's created the perception that the 1.2GHz TouchPad is a flawed version of the 1.5GHz model (which I guess it is, in theory).
  7. #27  
    "because we can" made me think of the response "so's your face"
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Remember, HP isn't making these chips, and they are not using substandard parts. It is like HTC offering a google phone with a 1ghz chip, and then a month later offering a 1.2 ghz phone. They did it because "they could". Qualcomm or Ti had 1.2ghz chips for sale in sufficient quantities, so they are now selling it to their customers. I'm glad that HP is going to give us a 25% increase now instead of waiting for a product refresh a year later.
    To me this is going to be the pre- and the pre plus debacle all over again. people are going to get the 4g version and they will say "this is what the touchpad should've been all along". the first adopters will be burned once again and the cycle will continue. Why can't I get the uprated cpu without being tied to att (whom I loathe)? 25% is a boost and will definitely help with the stuttering and lag. It's nasty all around and I doubt hp has the muscle to get month to month contracts for data like apple does.

    Well I can't wait until HP licenses Webos so it can become the palm os saga once again!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    As for DeWitt...I dunno, I'm starting to see what the Thisismynext commenters are saying about his marketingspeak. He really uses a lot of words to say very little.
    Can't agree more. That's why I cant understand tide of joy related to his interview at Engadget.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I've been Jon Rubenstein's biggest critic but in this case, he is right. Joshua T. at this is my next doesn't understand processor binning.
    Just so everyone understands: the Touchpad wifi uses a 1.2ghz chip. This clock speed is set by Qualcomm, not HP. These were the first one's available from Qualcomm. The 1.5ghz became available later, and I'm sure in smaller quantities (because there are less 1.5ghz than 1.2ghz chips).
    When it became available from Qualcomm, HP decided to put it in the 4G version. I'm sure they would have liked to put it in the wifi version if it was available at sufficient quantities early enough. It wasn't. I'm glad they are doing it personally. It is not a bad thing.
    Than you don't say "because we can", you say "because they are available now, and we are impressed how they perform". Jon acts like pretentious *****. Dumb ***.
  11. #31  
    Wow. Glad I didn't get one now. Crazy.
  12. #32  
    As predicted

    Ruby 14 july- "so Iíd rather focus my time on where webOS goes in the futureÖ and Todd asked me if Iíd be willing to help him on the PC side as well, and we have to work that out, him and me ó we havenít figured that all out yet"

    Hagster 12 july - "My take is that the move is designed to get WebOS ported to Printers, PC, and Toasters. This process needs plenty of vision."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Actually, I take that back. This part is just hilarious:
    "Joshua Topolsky: Iím glad you brought up the TouchPad 4G. The PRPRPR $says$ $this$ $device$ $has$ $a$ $faster$ $CPU$ $than$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $you$ $just$ $released$ $to$ $consumers$. $Can$ $you$ $explain$ $why$ $there$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $difference$ $between$ $this$ $new$ $product$, $and$ $the$ $one$ $that$ $was$ $released$ $about$ $two$ $weeks$ $ago$? $Why$ $the$ $spec$ $difference$?

    Jon: Because we can.

    Joshua Topolsky: Well, if I went out and bought the TouchPad, and then 14 days later I hear thereís a new one with a faster CPU, I would feel a little burned by HP.

    Jon: Címon Josh, recognize first of all that itís not available 14 days later. "
    I believe Ruby is good for HP, I just don't think Ruby is good at talking in public. He is like Joe Biden for HP. Might be good behind the scenes, and thats where he needs to stay.

    But a good interview over all.
  14. #34  
    Oh man, if he is like Joe Biden for HP, then webOS is doomed to fail.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Oh man, if he is like Joe Biden for HP, then webOS is doomed to fail.
    i think he has the track record to prove otherwise. Still hopeful.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions