1.    #1  
    ... At least, that's all I can assume, given that they promised "always-on" GPRS data quite a while ago, and have not delivered.

They give us no updates, no news, and no excuses. GPRS is available from every major carrier. The problem is clearly with Handspring. I find it impossible to believe that the holdup is Handspring "waiting for approval from the carriers".

I find it impossible to believe that it would be so difficult for Handspring to issue a statement contiaining the truth about the planned date for this update.

The only logical assumption is that Handspring does not have the resources (cash, engineers, time) to complete their work on the software, and that we've seen the last round of new devices from Handspring.

The crowning glory is the release of the Sprint version of the Treo LONG after the release of the original 180, and the Danger Hiptop, both of which have always on data TODAY. No broken promises, and no excuses.

I've bought my last Handspring device, for two reasons: 1st, I'll never give them more money; 2nd, they aren't going to be around to buy anything FROM.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson - never buy anything that doesn't have all the features you want on DAY ONE, and never believe it will be delivered "via a software update" at a later date!
    Hope you feel better now, but you scared the crap out of me with your headline bruddah!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I partially agree with you, but I don't necessarily think it's Handspring. The update is done, we know that. It is right there waiting to be downloaded.

I think it is the carriers, now. At first they proabably pushed for the the upgrade. But then, the Pocket PC phones came, and the Sidekick and the Treo 300. Now, everyone is suffering through the political BS between all the companies.

The US carriers probably threathened HS that if they pushed the update, they would not support any of the customers that have bought the phone and upgraded.

Nothing is adding up anymore. But it has seriously become really stupid now. There is no logical reason not to release it.

IT'S RIGHT HERE RELEASE IT!!
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    never buy anything that doesn't have all the features you want on DAY ONE, and never believe it will be delivered "via a software update" at a later date!
    You make an excellent point there. Case in point ... look at the story on the treocentral.com front page about how people who bought the SPCS AirPrime Digital Link got screwed.

Granted, they're getting their full $250 back -- but still....

Ironically, I was at Comdex last year, and these guys (AirPrime) were in a booth right next to Handspring, and these guys were trashing the Treo trying to steer me away from it. I can still remember the guy saying to me "The AirPrime is faster", presumably referring to the 144kbps max rate on the AirPrime, and the ~ 28.8 max rate on the Treo (it is a Class 2+1 GPRS device, correct?).

Now ironically, a year later (after having owned both an AirPrime Digital Link and a Treo 270) I think my Treo 270's going up on eBay and I'll be sticking with my SideKick. These guys did a damn good job - if text messaging (of any kind) is your killer app.

-toomer
    I have to agree. Slipping a major software release by this long is inexcusable. They talked about GPRS support before the 180 even shipped, and it still isn't here. Obviously the "waiting for carrier support" story is false when you look at all their competitors running GPRS.

Their stock is way down, product releases have slowed to almost nothing, and now the promised software updates aren't shipping. I'll bet that their best and brightest engineers have split for greener pastures, leaving a company with no idea how to support the products they've shipped. And the GPRS update has left the building in the brain of the engineer who just walked. Been there, done that, have the T shirt.

-jl
    The update is out there and working fine for us who dare to install it the unsupported way. The actual code is done - no question!

Now why T-Mobile, Cingular and Handspring can't agree on the official release is a different matter. There are currently two speculations:

1) The carriers really have not certified or fully tested the Treo so that they can offer support. Or at least one carrier is dragging their feet causing a hold up.

2) Handspring has some spooky deal with Sprint that guarantees them X amount of weeks of exclusive "high speed" data access features on a Treo device in the US market.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by synthetic
    And the GPRS update has left the building in the brain of the engineer who just walked. Been there, done that, have the T shirt.

-jl
    Exactly... it would not surprise me at all to learn that something like this has happened.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    If you've ever been involved in software development, the delays are understandable and sometimes due to circumstances beyond your control. As for going out of business, no one else offers what Handspring does. Palm finally comes out with a winner (Tungsten), but won't have the wireless version until 2003 - with no "firm" date announced. This will be more than a year after the Treo is introduced. To think Handspring is sitting waiting to see what Palm will do next is crazy (they didn't with the Treo). When Palm finally delivers the T-W, I will be purchasing my newest Treo with all the Palm features and more - think about it !! Right now, I have a device that delivers all my email directly and immediately to my Palm via SMS - allows me to download the full mesage if I need to via GPRS (I did upgrade), and call to respond. What, you think the Pocket PC will defeat the Treo, get a grip.... ps. I do not work for HS, just know a winner when I see one. pps. If your're going to be on the "bleeding edge", you can't cry every time you get cut.
    Originally posted by marcus
    2) Handspring has some spooky deal with Sprint that guarantees them X amount of weeks of exclusive "high speed" data access features on a Treo device in the US market.
    Or, possibility #3 --

3) Microsoft has some spooky deal with T-Mobile that guarantees them X amount of weeks of exclusive "high speed" data access features on a PDA device in the US market.

Ok ... some nasty combination of 2 + 3 ...

If Handspring/T-Mobile hasn't released the GPRS patch in time for Comdex (Nov 18th) I'll really be shocked ..... and will take a bit of sick pleasure in stopping by their booth asking them why I don't have GPRS when they told me last year (when they were proudly displaying pre-release Treo 180s) it would be out within a few months of the 180 release!!
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by pabo
    If you've ever been involved in software development, the delays are understandable and sometimes due to circumstances beyond your control. As for going out of business, no one else offers what Handspring does. Palm finally comes out with a winner (Tungsten), but won't have the wireless version until 2003 - with no "firm" date announced. This will be more than a year after the Treo is introduced. To think Handspring is sitting waiting to see what Palm will do next is crazy (they didn't with the Treo). When Palm finally delivers the T-W, I will be purchasing my newest Treo with all the Palm features and more - think about it !! Right now, I have a device that delivers all my email directly and immediately to my Palm via SMS - allows me to download the full mesage if I need to via GPRS (I did upgrade), and call to respond. What, you think the Pocket PC will defeat the Treo, get a grip.... ps. I do not work for HS, just know a winner when I see one. pps. If your're going to be on the "bleeding edge", you can't cry every time you get cut.
    Come on, I didn't say anything about Pocket PC. That's not fair.

As to being on the bleeding edge, I have no problem with that. Sometimes what you paid for turns out to be not what you really wanted. Fair enough. I DO, however, expect to get what I paid for in the first place!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jchristopher

Come on, I didn't say anything about Pocket PC. That's not fair.

Sorry, that was a cheap shot......

Skepticism is good - it keeps people on their toes. Cynicism is not - it just drags everyone down. Always expect/demand excellence !!
    Hey, don't give up hope on the GPRS patch for us diehard Treo users. It's my impression we will see the update within the next few weeks.
    Originally posted by comcom
    Hey, don't give up hope on the GPRS patch for us diehard Treo users. It's my impression we will see the update within the next few weeks.
    Heard this crap news in August! What else is new
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    um...isn't there a GPRS forum on here already? isn't this forum for "other stuff"? sounds like to me like jchristopher is being a bit of a "drama-queen"! if you'd look around this site, you'd see that you can download the GPRS upgrade and "tweak" it to work. I did it and it's been working fine for me!

come on kids, lets stick to the forums!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by randyg
    um...isn't there a GPRS forum on here already? isn't this forum for "other stuff"? sounds like to me like jchristopher is being a bit of a "drama-queen"! if you'd look around this site, you'd see that you can download the GPRS upgrade and "tweak" it to work. I did it and it's been working fine for me!

come on kids, lets stick to the forums!
    Maybe, but I for one would like to keep my warranty.
    I think its the carriers that are the hold up. Think about it. Everyone else outside the U.S can download the upgrade without voiding the warranty. Also, version 1.1 of the GPRS upgrade was not available to Rogers AT&T customers in Canada until they approved it. Unlike Nokia and the other big cell companies, Handspring is at the whims of the carriers because they need the carrier support for the Treo to be a success.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?