Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stri8ed
  • 1 Post By Siah1214
  1. #2  
    Nice interview and run down and wow that was quick who ever got a hold of him so fast. Sorli...
  2. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Nice interview and run down and wow that was quick who ever got a hold of him so fast. Sorli...
    Yes, I like this quote at the end:

    "By the end of this decade you’re going to have two-thirds of the world’s population online, connected through a smartphone or tablet or PC. By 2020, there is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of 25 billion devices connected to the network, and to assume the game is over in 2012 is nothing short of obnoxious.”
  3. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #4  
    I think he has high regard for Ruby. OTOH looks like Ruby will be even more powerful. I disagree with folks who keep saying Ruby will go the Rahul sood's way. Mr.Sood was doing high end PCS while the rest of the HP is busy making cheap stuff. He was not relevant to HP. With webOS taking over all devices Ruby gets busy.
  4.    #5  
    Its absurd to think HP would let Ruby go, or mistreat him and cause him to leave. They are well aware of what he has done for apple and palm. If he ever left, he would be picked up by a new company in a day. This is the kind of talent company's fight over, not dismiss.

    Ruby is a product guy not a businessman. If anything he should be happier and more content being in a place where he can focus solely on product innovation.
    Rnp likes this.
  5. #6  
    ..
    Any time the leader of one of the five organizations hoping to define the future of mobile computing steps aside, there will be the immediate murmurs about whether or not that organization is heading in the right direction. As you might imagine new WebOS head Stephen DeWitt, named yesterday to oversee HP’s efforts trying to catch market leaders like Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) and Google (NSDQ: GOOG), doesn’t think that’s the case at all: it’s simply time for HP (NYSE: HPQ) to “go big.”

    In an interview with mocoNews Tuesday, DeWitt shared some thoughts on the future of WebOS, former Palm leader Jon Rubinstein, HP’s complicated relationship with Microsoft, and the recent TouchPad launch. Here’s what he had to say:

    See more of our latest Gadgets coverage
    or add an alert for future coverage of Gadgets.

    On “Why now?”—DeWitt, who has been with HP since 2008 overseeing the Americas region of its PC group, said that HP is starting the process of planning its budgets and resource priorities for its 2012 fiscal year and wanted to make sure any leadership changes were completed before that process really got cranking.

    But he also said that for most of the first year that Palm was under HP’s wing, it was focused on products like the Veer, Pre 3, and now TouchPad. Along the way other decisions needed to be made about the boring integration stuff like sales and operations, and those are now being put into place with the naming of several other new leaders within what’s being called the webOS Global Business Unit.

    “(Palm) had a certain amount on their plate when we acquired them. As soon as we acquired them that plate got a lot bigger,” DeWitt said. The unit now has “well over” 1,000 people and HP will continue to hire.

    On whether the TouchPad launch prompted changes: “It’s absurd,” DeWitt said after being told that some people are wondering whether or not the lukewarm debut of the TouchPad (shrugged off by respected gadget reviewers) led to yesterday’s reorganization. “These moves have nothing to do with the launch.”

    However, HP did launch the TouchPad a little earlier than it had previously planned, DeWitt said. The company’s retail partners have been planning to launch their own marketing efforts on July 17th, timed to the start of the back-to-school shopping season. That’s still the plan, and it sounds like the tablet-oriented redesign at the Best Buy in Emeryville, CA that we highlighted a few weeks ago is rolling out across the country. But “we had the opportunity to get the product out slightly earlier and we did that,” DeWitt said, emphasizing that HP was very far along in the quality-assurance process for the TouchPad despite the presence of bugs that will require a software update set to arrive over the next few weeks.

    On Rubinstein’s new role: “It would be absurd to think that Ruby isn’t going to have influence on WebOS,” DeWitt said. “We’ve all worked with amazing engineering talents before, and he’s near the top of that food chain. We will benefit tremendously from his insight across our PSG portfolio.”

    On licensing versus own-and-control: The short-term priority for DeWitt is to sell more WebOS products. That includes both existing product lines like smartphones and tablets as well as bringing WebOS to other devices, as HP has long promised since closing the deal to acquire Palm.

    But it’s clear that HP is also thinking about licensing WebOS, coming from no less an authority than CEO Leo Apotheker. DeWitt danced around exactly who might be thinking about licensing the software but confirmed that talks were ongoing that involve any number of partners in both the hardware and software communities, which could suggest that WebOS could also play a greater role in some software packages in addition to phones or tablets produced by other hardware makers.

    On Microsoft: One place HP has been very clear about bringing WebOS is the PC, which of course is the bread and butter of HP’s oldest and best partner, Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT). DeWitt was unwilling to share an updated time frame for installing this WebOS layer atop Windows PCs beyond sometime next year, which is what HP has been saying for months.

    But what to make of this relationship with Microsoft now that WebOS is coming to PCs, WebOS is competing against Windows Phone 7 (and maybe Windows 8 next year) on store shelves, and HP is out seeking licensing deals with handset makers who have also been courted by Microsoft?

    “This is a changing time, and I don’t look at it so much as our OS versus their OS. It’s the relationship that we have with the user of connected devices who is clearly going to have relationships with other providers as well,” he said. While HP and Microsoft remain friends, he claimed, we’re clearly entering a new era of computing in which the operating models that defined the PC generation may not necessarily apply.

    On a mobile future: It’s clear that HP is behind the times when it comes to what Apple CEO Steve Jobs calls the “post-PC era,” arguably launched by the debut of the iPhone in 2007. But DeWitt believes there is still enough growth in the overall industry to support multiple players even when one or two companies may own a majority of the market.

    “By the end of this decade you’re going to have two-thirds of the world’s population online, connected through a smartphone or tablet or PC. By 2020, there is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of 25 billion devices connected to the network, and to assume the game is over in 2012 is nothing short of obnoxious.”
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  6. #7  
    "However, HP did launch the TouchPad a little earlier than it had previously planned, DeWitt said."

    Guess that would explain some of the missing items and the reason that an OTA is already impeding within the next 10 days.
  7. #8  
    Nice find. Good interview.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  8. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    "However, HP did launch the TouchPad a little earlier than it had previously planned, DeWitt said."

    Guess that would explain some of the missing items and the reason that an OTA is already impeding within the next 10 days.
    HP must be really foolish. There was no logical reason to rush this product out. HP must realize they have no chance at #1 with the Ipad/2. #2 is easily up for grabs: Honeycomb is in a mess right now, QNX is lacking basic features, and WIn8 is a year+ from being launched. You would think they have people to observe these things...
  9. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    HP must be really foolish. There was no logical reason to rush this product out. HP must realize they have no chance at #1 with the Ipad/2. #2 is easily up for grabs: Honeycomb is in a mess right now, QNX is lacking basic features, and WIn8 is a year+ from being launched. You would think they have people to observe these things...
    It would not have made a difference, really. Unless they delayed the launch until August or later to make sure they got the update applied to ALL of the devices. Customers would still have gotten "3.0.0" and would still need the OTA to "3.0.1." (I don't own a TP and don't know exact release numbers).
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    HP must be really foolish. There was no logical reason to rush this product out. HP must realize they have no chance at #1 with the Ipad/2. #2 is easily up for grabs: Honeycomb is in a mess right now, QNX is lacking basic features, and WIn8 is a year+ from being launched. You would think they have people to observe these things...
    HP knows they don't have a shot at competing with the iPad yet and have said so publically a bajillion times.
  11. #12  
    Another interview posted on CNET, a few interesting quotes below:

    DeWitt said HP is going to redouble its efforts to support the developer community. That includes bringing financial, engineering, and marketing resources. However, he was reluctant to say HP would pay developers for apps, but said he was open to models such as discounts on intellectual property, as well as direct investment if the situation calls for it....

    DeWitt has some experience going up against the giants, although little of that experience is in the mobile side. He led the development of start-ups including Cobalt Networks, which created low-cost Linux-based servers and was ultimately acquired by Sun Microsystems for $2 billion, and computer appliance manufacturer Azul Systems.



    HP's new WebOS chief wants to hit the ground running | Wireless - CNET News
  12. AZ8
    AZ8 is offline
    AZ8's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    "However, HP did launch the TouchPad a little earlier than it had previously planned, DeWitt said."

    Guess that would explain some of the missing items and the reason that an OTA is already impeding within the next 10 days.
    "....But “we had the opportunity to get the product out slightly earlier and we did that,” DeWitt said, emphasizing that HP was very far along in the quality-assurance process for the TouchPad despite the presence of bugs that will require a software update set to arrive over the next few weeks...."

    Todd Bradley says 10 days. DeWitt says next few weeks.

    Next few weeks is alot different than 10 days.

    I think the head honchos of HP need to get thier talking points in line with each other. Conflicting timelines only confuses the situation more than it needs to be.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    "....But “we had the opportunity to get the product out slightly earlier and we did that,” DeWitt said, emphasizing that HP was very far along in the quality-assurance process for the TouchPad despite the presence of bugs that will require a software update set to arrive over the next few weeks...."

    Todd Bradley says 10 days. DeWitt says next few weeks.

    Next few weeks is alot different than 10 days.

    I think the head honchos of HP need to get thier talking points in line with each other. Conflicting timelines only confuses the situation more than it needs to be.
    Few: adjective
    1.
    not many but more than one:
    10 days = 1 3/7 weeks. So much for out of sync talking points, now stop whining.
    Rnp likes this.
  14. #15  
    Ruby is a product guy not a businessman.
    All problems with webOS are summarized in this sentence! Great!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  15. AZ8
    AZ8 is offline
    AZ8's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    10 days = 1 3/7 weeks. So much for out of sync talking points, now stop whining.
    Huh? whos whining?

    Just pointing out the difference. Its been the norm with HP lately. Conflicting timelines.
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    "....But “we had the opportunity to get the product out slightly earlier and we did that,” DeWitt said, emphasizing that HP was very far along in the quality-assurance process for the TouchPad despite the presence of bugs that will require a software update set to arrive over the next few weeks...."

    Todd Bradley says 10 days. DeWitt says next few weeks.

    Next few weeks is alot different than 10 days.

    I think the head honchos of HP need to get thier talking points in line with each other. Conflicting timelines only confuses the situation more than it needs to be.
    Can those chomping for this software update articulate what features or fixes they are waiting for? Imho:TP is mighty functional as is unless you have a particular need and find the app not their yet.
    Last edited by netdude0; 07/12/2011 at 05:33 PM.

Posting Permissions