Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90
Like Tree38Likes
  1.    #1  
    I don't get it. Companies push out phone after phone especially Android. I understand the carriers want to make sure the build quality is better but we know HP retooled that already so WHAT IS THE HOLD UP ABOUT? The Pre3 really is going to be DOA. I'll still get one bc I LOVE Web OS and I still think WEB OS is the superior OS out of iOS and Android but I'm not the one HP needs to convince of that......................
  2. #2  
    I don't think the Pre3 is going to be DOA, I'd even say the specs are competitive.
    The only official release time frame HP gave us is summer, so IMO it's ok if it's released at the end of August.
    What I don't get is why the Pre3 keeps popping up on websites with release dates that repeatedly get pushed back anyway. That really builds up frustration.
    Additionally I wonder why there have been Pre3 devices that were allowed to be used back even when the TP was too unfinished to be tried out. The TP is available right now. Sure HP has their focus on the TP, but the people who were sent review units even received a Pre3, so the Pre3 seems to be almost finished.
    If it actually gets a spec bump, I believe HP should tell us. Give people another straw to hold on.
    The frustration in these parts is incredible. Only comparable to what's going on on maemo.org since forever
    Anyway, I bought a WP7 phone to play with. But I'll certainly reconsider when it's finally available.
    Last edited by johnnygewitter; 07/12/2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling
  3. #3  
    i don't think it will be "dead on arrival" but i do think it it releases with the specs as we've heard it will look slightly dated, spec wise, within about a month or so when a new iphone and a few other phones come out.

    that being said i don't think spec battles are that important to the huge majority of consumers. And the pre 3 specs are probably good enough in most areas. i think the real problem is lack of apps, a slider form factor that is not very popular right now. I mean to me it's just a pre and with a spec bump. but again i think specs are overrated as are the operating system. i think the general experience is more important. and i don't mean user interface i mean. can i make music, can i use netflix, can i do x y or z. if not people will move on.

    oh deep down i think the software isn't ready and is the holdup and judging from my use of the touchpad it seems plausible because i found the touch pad software rough around the edges. like album art still showing up in pictures. like that is something from the original pre. no reason that should still be an issue. None. just my opinion but to me that's lack of polish on your software.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by k_roxas13 View Post
    I'll still get one bc I LOVE Web OS ...
    Personally I think that is their biggest problem -- I think the only people they will get to buy one will be previous webOS users. Sure, some TP owners will get them, but I think having the major defining feature of your tablet rely on purchasing a phone as well is not a good move.

    Only time will tell how this will play out, but HP is not making it any easier on themselves. Sure they will say they don't want to release it until its perfect, but we already know they didn't do that with any of their previous phones (under Palm) or the TouchPad.
  5. #5  
    I think the Pre 3 release date is sliding because it is going through a spec upgrade. That is why the Product Details and specs were removed from the HP Pre website. If my memory serves, HP said that they were going to introduce several devices by the end of the year. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised when the Pre 3 and webOS TouchPads, phones, tablets, printers and toasters roll out.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by k_roxas13 View Post
    I don't get it. Companies push out phone after phone especially Android. I understand the carriers want to make sure the build quality is better but we know HP retooled that already so WHAT IS THE HOLD UP ABOUT? The Pre3 really is going to be DOA. I'll still get one bc I LOVE Web OS and I still think WEB OS is the superior OS out of iOS and Android but I'm not the one HP needs to convince of that......................
    If you follow things in the WebOS world as much as I do, you see three things going on:


    WebOS 3.0 development on the Touchpad.

    You have the Pre 3 that was going to be released with WebOS 2.2 or 2.3

    The Pre 3 and Veer were also going to get an update to WebOS 3.0 after launch, maybe the Pre 2 would get the update as well.

    The effort to get WebOS 2.x on older devices WAS successful since O2 released a WebOS Doctor for the Pre Plus.


    So, from these things, I expect that there was some sort of delay caused by the OS development side of things, perhaps the people at HP decided to delay the Pre 3 launch until WebOS 3.0 was ready to launch on it. Software delays do tend to be a valid reason to delay a product release. Even without a lot of software, the Touchpad at least IS running stable for example.

    Now, because of the longer than expected delay in releasing the Pre 3, it is very possible that HP is replacing the processor for the Pre 3 with a dual-core processor. If you think about it, many processors share the same connection/pin-outs, so the swapping of a single-core 1.4GHz with a dual-core 1.2GHz could be possible without changing anything else about the design. Some extra QA work might be required, but it IS possible. We don't have the information about how many Pre 3 phones were made with the 1.4GHz processor, it may have been just enough to give to the media for the Touchpad reviews for example.

    It is also possible that if HP had the Pre 3 with 1.4GHz built in quantity, waiting on the final OS for shipping that HP is also going to release a Pre 3+ with the dual-core chip at the same time as the Pre 3 with single-core 1.4GHz chip. With that logic, they release the regular Pre 3 for $100 with two year contract, and the Pre 3+ for $200 with two year contract. For all we know, they could also plan to make the single-core device a special for those with a Pre/Pixi plus/minus at a special price just to clear inventory of a device they had built but then decided to scrap in favor of the dual-core version.

    Only time will tell, but at this point, with Ruby moved to another position, I really hope his replacement will make a statement to the community about what is going on and set some realistic expectations. Most people can handle waiting as long as they are informed about what is going on, but most HATE having to wait with no communication about why they are forced to wait or even why there is a delay.
  7. #7  
    I predict no spec bump of the Pre3. Its just business as usual. It will release with the specs they originally showed us and time is no friend of delayed launches.

    But being the webos faithful that I am, I will still be happy to sell my pre2 unlocked so that a pre3 can accompany my touchpad 32GB.
  8. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #8  
    If the Pre3 releases in Sept with the Iphone 4s/5 then it will be DOA.
  9. #9  
    The only spec that it's really missing is 4G. Now that Sprint is gone, it makes sense to rebuild it with an LTE radio to release one SKU on Verizon and ATT and go 4G, and not mess with marketing ploys. You can't release a flagship device in Summer (fall?) 2011 without 4g.
    spudland and kill_dano like this.
  10. rahrah12's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    #10  
    What bugs me is that there is no news...I wish that they would have just said something...now we are here speculating...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    If the Pre3 releases in Sept with the Iphone 4s/5 then it will be DOA.
    And it doesn't seem like it will release before that.

    At this point HP is in a bind. Do you release it in early Fall? Right when Apple is likely to release iPhone5 and Samsung the Galaxy SII? Those two phones are going to have the Pre3 for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is absolutely no way the Pre3 can compete with iphone5/GsII.

    General public knows about the iphone, when a new iPhone comes out, every ***** knows that a new iphone came out.

    I fear it will indeed be a dud. Everyone on this site might get one, but that's no where close to what HP needs to sell.

    I'd love to see the numbers on the Veer, would just LOVEEEEEE to see em.
  12. #12  
    Can you tell me if the apps that I purchased for my old Pre (OS 1.4.5) will work on OS 3 on a new Pre?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Personally I think that is their biggest problem -- I think the only people they will get to buy one will be previous webOS users. Sure, some TP owners will get them, but I think having the major defining feature of your tablet rely on purchasing a phone as well is not a good move.
    i heard a podcast and they said, "who would you recommend the touchpad for?" and the other host responded, "People who love Webos and people hate Apple." And i thought that was telling. Because that's actually a small group and you its hard to do well only appealing to a small segment of the market. Most people don't care one way or the other and don't hate Apple.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #14  
    I doubt they're working on a spec bump. I'm not sure what would be more insane, changing horses mid stream or plowing through with slightly outdated specs. I'm guessing its all software optimizations and carrier negotiations holding this show up. If they could iron out the OS snags that cause lag they don't really need faster processors. Of course they've been saying they'd iron it for over two years now.
  15. #15  
    At this point I am starting to get more excited about the new iPhone possibly coming to Sprint, than I am about the Pre 3's release.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by theattack View Post
    The only spec that it's really missing is 4G. Now that Sprint is gone, it makes sense to rebuild it with an LTE radio to release one SKU on Verizon and ATT and go 4G, and not mess with marketing ploys. You can't release a flagship device in Summer (fall?) 2011 without 4g.
    The only way that would work is if it not only had an lte radio with support for 700mhz and 1700 MHz, but also CDMA at 800 and 1900 MHz, evdo at 800 and 1900 MHz, gsm edge at 800 and 1900 MHz, and hspa + at 800 and 1900 MHz, plus if they truly wanted one sku they would also have to support overseas frequencies of 850, 900, 1700, and 2100. That's just too many frequencies and radios to fit in one device right now.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by k_roxas13 View Post
    I don't get it. Companies push out phone after phone especially Android. I understand the carriers want to make sure the build quality is better but we know HP retooled that already so WHAT IS THE HOLD UP ABOUT? The Pre3 really is going to be DOA. I'll still get one bc I LOVE Web OS and I still think WEB OS is the superior OS out of iOS and Android but I'm not the one HP needs to convince of that......................
    Android isn't being manufactured by one company, but by several manufacturers. Samsung has their galaxyS line which is really only two models right now with some minor differences for each carrier, motorola only has like 5 models with some variations for each carrier and same with htc. It's because one week samsung will release one android phone then the following week it'll be htc, then followed by motorola, then by samsung again but on a different carrier with different name that makes it seem like there are so many android phones.

    Also when you look at motorola and htc, smart phones are a huge part of their business and have to constantly release new phone to ensure they keep money flowing, hp is just getting started with smart phones, and therefore it's a small part of their business right now.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    AzureViper likes this.
  18. #18  
    HERE IS WHAT HP/PALM DOESN'T GET.

    The tech community has moved on. They gave Web OS a chance. They gave Palm a chance and nobody cares anymore. Web OS has been marketed so absolutely poorly that you get a bad taste in your mouth when you say those two words. It should not be that way b/c Web OS is the best OS out there. Bottom line Apple, Android, and WM7 are lightyears ahead in the competition and HP will never ever catch up.

    Especially when they release <<mod delete>> products that need updates to work properly like the Touchpad.


    After 5 Pre Plus' I've gone back to my Palm Treo 755p that is four years old and has over 7,000 minutes talk time on it. Why? The build quality on that phone was 1000 times better than the Pre Plus.

    With that said I'm done with Palm/HP for forever. I will not buy into a product that is marketed so poorly for so long, because the tech communities have moved on.

    BOTTOM LINE: The Pre 3 is DOA just like the OP said. Nobody is going to buy it just like nobody bought the Pre 2, the Veer, and now the Touchpad. Web OS should be in it's grave within 2 more years.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/12/2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: language
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    If the Pre3 releases in Sept with the Iphone 4s/5 then it will be DOA.
    It is rumored that the iPhone 5 will come to all 4 carriers; AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and TMobile.
  20. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    It is rumored that the iPhone 5 will come to all 4 carriers; AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and TMobile.
    well the pre3 is truly in trouble, I wouldn't be surprised to see it being given out like candy aka pennies/free a week after launch. HP truly is disappointing me.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions