Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
Like Tree38Likes
  1. #41  
    the holdup likely is software finalization and carriers. Its gonna be webos 2.x but prob so native apps look ok on higher res screen. We all hope it will ru enyo apps but no way to tell.

    Pre3 specs aint gonna change. You already saw a pre3 clip on sky t\/. I hear the frustration...my frankenpre plus barely holding together. The \/ key doesnt even work.
  2. #42  
    Look, the Pre3 might as well not exist until it's actually on shelves.

    And if the carriers don't think it will move, or don't want to bother with it, it's dead. HP isn't showing the carriers any reason to believe that there's a future for WebOS.

    RIM has blown its feet off, Maemo is stillborn, and WP7 is on the brink.

    Unfortunately, that leaves the smartphone space to Android and iOS.
  3. #43  
    HP should go public with Pre3 release. Except small group of webOS fateful no one other cares. This stupid secrecy is total nonsense. Not one manufacturer will change their plans because HP lifted info embargo. Not even ZTE.

    How things looks now, it's better for HP to exit smartphone business and license webOS to serious smartphone players.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/23/2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Tikkanen likes this.
  4. #44  
    HP should release a unlocked GSM Pre 3, if the carriers are the issue, this is the way around it, do a little dev incentive and it will ensure that devs has the device in hand before most of the public so they can develop for it (it has hardware that the pre2 doesn't like the ff cam). So when HP finally gets carriers to release it then there will be tons of apps.
  5. #45  
    very frustrating. Even when the pre3 is released, development of smartphone apps has pretty much stalled on webos, with a few apps trickling into the app catalog weekly. All of HP's focus seems to be on the touchpad, both from a sales and advertising perspective and from developer support and recruitment. The pre2 and veer are being sold, but no apps, or heck, even software updates to fix all the maddening bugs in webOS 2.x are being released. Not to mention, devs have to release multiple versions of apps for the veer and pre2's screen sizes, so when the pre3 comes out with an even bigger size, apps may have to be scaled further.

    hp really needs to ramp up their smartphone and webOS 2.x development teams. They seem to be understaffed to be handling both the touchpad and smartphones simultaneously..isn't hp supposed to be a huge company? Their resources for smartphones seems limited at present, and at the end of the day, the smartphone consumer who wants webOS is left behind.

    Perhaps HP is seeking to license webOS to companies such as samsung to focus solely on smartphones while HP focuses on touchpads and webOS on computers?

    I don't know.

    very frustrating.
    Tikkanen likes this.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    very frustrating. Even when the pre3 is released, development of smartphone apps has pretty much stalled on webos, with a few apps trickling into the app catalog weekly. All of HP's focus seems to be on the touchpad, both from a sales and advertising perspective and from developer support and recruitment. The pre2 and veer are being sold, but no apps, or heck, even software updates to fix all the maddening bugs in webOS 2.x are being released. Not to mention, devs have to release multiple versions of apps for the veer and pre2's screen sizes, so when the pre3 comes out with an even bigger size, apps may have to be scaled further.

    hp really needs to ramp up their smartphone and webOS 2.x development teams. They seem to be understaffed to be handling both the touchpad and smartphones simultaneously..isn't hp supposed to be a huge company? Their resources for smartphones seems limited at present, and at the end of the day, the smartphone consumer who wants webOS is left behind.

    Perhaps HP is seeking to license webOS to companies such as samsung to focus solely on smartphones while HP focuses on touchpads and webOS on computers?

    I don't know.

    very frustrating.
    The best way for hp to fix that would be to move webos 3.0 onto the phones like the pre3 and the veer. Enyo is scalable so developing an app for the touchpad for webos 3.0 should scale to a pre3 running webos 3.0. I think that hp is probably doing that so, why waste the resources getting devs to develop for 2.x.... but not developing for 2.x lets the smartphones stagnate... it's a catch 22
  7. #47  
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  8. rashad1's Avatar
    Posts
    520 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    Maybe people are just fed-up, unhappy, and want to get their thoughts out. People are tired of waiting, the Pre has pretty much been the same for the past 2 years. The Pre 3 was/is supposed to bring new badly needed hardware to those who have been yearning for it.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    sheesh, i expect moderators to say the same thing over and over again.... go figure two mods would thank each other

    sorry....just been on a rant rampage lately.
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 07/24/2011 at 05:39 AM.
  10. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    What do you expect us to do when there has been virtually zero news about the Pre 3? There comes a point where people stop waiting for news and just drift away, and that is starting to happen. We post these thoughts to try to keep ourselves here while waiting for news, but honestly, for those of us who can't budget for a tablet, HP has given zero communication about the Pre 3 in far too long.

    If they have held up the release so they can release on all carriers at once, even Sprint, then HP is fully at fault for losing sales since people ARE giving up at this point.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    gee, I don't think I've ever seen the same thing posted again and again with almost no variation. Wow!
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen the same thing said over and over again in so many different ways. Sheesh.
    well what else is a "legacy" device owner to do with our phone?

    wait for a software update to fix webOS bugs? Download some hot new kernal to make our devices faster? Download a hot new app such as kindle or hp moviestore or glimpse? Follow a cool new tip to extend the life of our battery, make the pre run buttery smooth? Purchase a hot new accessory?

    no, nothing, zippo. Our phones have essentially become feature phones- stuck on the same OS version, with no carrier support, and dependent on the web browser to make up for the lack of apps.

    like targon said, for those of us that want to stick with webOS and have no interest in a tablet, what else are we supposed to do on precentral? I know, I know- not visit so often....but how does that help the webOS community?

    we need a forum to let out our frustrations. You are welcome no to visit such threads that say the same thing over and over.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    well what else is a "legacy" device owner to do with our phone?

    wait for a software update to fix webOS bugs? Download some hot new kernal to make our devices faster? Download a hot new app such as kindle or hp moviestore or glimpse? Follow a cool new tip to extend the life of our battery, make the pre run buttery smooth? Purchase a hot new accessory?

    no, nothing, zippo. Our phones have essentially become feature phones- stuck on the same OS version, with no carrier support, and dependent on the web browser to make up for the lack of apps.

    like targon said, for those of us that want to stick with webOS and have no interest in a tablet, what else are we supposed to do on precentral? I know, I know- not visit so often....but how does that help the webOS community?

    we need a forum to let out our frustrations. You are welcome no to visit such threads that say the same thing over and over.
    PreCentral is not a frustration repository. How many pages and pages of frustration need to be here? We all get it. The point has been made. Look for something interesting to say instead of just repeating the same tired mantra over and over again. That's my point. I say this as a webOS user, not as a mod. As a mod, you'll notice I didn't close the thread or delete anyone's comments.
  14. #54  
    What they also need is another device, a slab only device. I think that's the plan, releasing two different form factors at once. There are those who do NOT want a keyboard.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by AliensWanted View Post
    What they also need is another device, a slab only device. I think that's the plan, releasing two different form factors at once. There are those who do NOT want a keyboard.
    I strongly disagree, as an option, yes, but it can't be the only option.

    The beauty of webos is doing everything by start typing. This is an extraordinary aspect that was clearly captured by the review of original pre by ars technica, which I fully agree.

    Without physical keyboard, it drops itself into a whole hoard of other android or iOS devices doing sort of universal searches.

    Even now, my pre's universal search is head and shoulder above any other devices I have used, and is the most used function I can think of. Losing this would severely damage it's future, imho.

    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Galaxy S II due in August supposedly, iphone 5 in september.

    I'm sorry to say, but Pre3 just doesn't fit in and will be placed to the back burner. Summer's hottest devices are gonna be the GSII and iPhone5.

    Sorry HP, you waited too freaking long! There is no way you can afford to launch the Pre3 in August, September or this year at all. People will look at those devices before they EVEN CONSIDER the Pre3.

    oh well........
    Okay, this is going to be a weird statement; but what if the reason HP is waiting to launch and share information on the Pre 3 is because of how poorly it did for the original Pre to release before the iPhone. The new iPhone used a lot of concepts that they has always been against in order to combat the Pre release. Suddenly the new iPhone allowed cut & paste and bluetooth to listen to media (music) not just connect to calls.

    HP has money and doesn't make all of their funds from whether or not their mobile platform makes money. Apple pushed back the release of their iPhone. I think it's a better idea for HP to wait for that release instead of having Apple tweak their phone after months of seeing what other people brought to the table.

    Will it be a great competitor to the iPhone? No. But at least HP won't be handing over ideas for them the tweak and make their device better. People who want the new iPhone or iPad will get it regardless of what HP or any other carrier puts out. There is no reason to try to compete for Apple's loyalist. The people HP wants are the people who would consider the iPhone, but aren't sold on it. It's just a smart phone.

    If HP can get developers to develop apps for the TouchPad, more WebOS apps will be available for the Pre 3. Only the future will tell what happens to WebOS.

    Right now we have a Kindle app and can view Amazon Premier. I need doc editing, audible, and a stand alone Bible app. Thankfully, I own a few Bible in Kindle and the Internet bibles work well. My TouchPad is coming along and my Pre is still working.

    I'll wait to see if any other device can tweak my interest. So far, they haven't.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Every single Pre has failed. There are more people that prefer phones without keyboards.
    Pre didn't fail because of a keyboard.

    There are more people prefer iphone or android too, that's not a reason for ditching keyboard.

    You want a slab phone in the production line? Fine, just don't make that the only option.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    fxspec06 likes this.
  18. #58  
    Incidentally, just type would still work fine with a virtual keyboard, just make a long upswipe bring up the keyboard, not just the wave bar (nearly useless).

    I'd much rather have a slab with a virtual keyboard, but I have a pre plus so honestly my hardware keyboard is essentially useless because it repeats letters all the time.
  19. #59  
    this is a pre3 rant thread. Why people other than mods who don't want to rant come to this thread, I have no idea. I am one of the biggest defenders of webos, but even I need to rant just to let things out. There are no useful threads for legacy owners at this point in time in webos smartphone land on precentral...other than rants and frustrations about the direction (or lack of direction) that hp has been taking with their smartphones.

    all of us came to this website because of treo or pre/pixi phones...not for tablets. But that's what its becoming, not because of anything wrong with precentral, but because of hp.

    so let those of us who want to rant, keep on doing so...
  20. #60  
    The Pre didn't fail. The Pre was the phone that started this all. If there was no Pre, none of us would even be talking about this. The Pre was a HUGE success. Not as huge as it could have been had Palm had a gazillion dollars (look at Apple and Google, they built their headquarters on melted $100 bills and concrete).
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions