Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 90
Like Tree38Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    HERE IS WHAT HP/PALM DOESN'T GET.

    The tech community has moved on. They gave Web OS a chance. They gave Palm a chance and nobody cares anymore. Web OS has been marketed so absolutely poorly that you get a bad taste in your mouth when you say those two words. It should not be that way b/c Web OS is the best OS out there. Bottom line Apple, Android, and WM7 are lightyears ahead in the competition and HP will never ever catch up.

    Especially when they release <<mod delete>> products that need updates to work properly like the Touchpad.


    After 5 Pre Plus' I've gone back to my Palm Treo 755p that is four years old and has over 7,000 minutes talk time on it. Why? The build quality on that phone was 1000 times better than the Pre Plus.

    With that said I'm done with Palm/HP for forever. I will not buy into a product that is marketed so poorly for so long, because the tech communities have moved on.

    BOTTOM LINE: The Pre 3 is DOA just like the OP said. Nobody is going to buy it just like nobody bought the Pre 2, the Veer, and now the Touchpad. Web OS should be in it's grave within 2 more years.
    This post sums it up perfectly.

    webOS was a revelation back in 2009. It hasn't improved much since then and there are more reasons to NOT buy a webOS device than there are to buy one at this point.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/12/2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
  2. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    And it doesn't seem like it will release before that.

    At this point HP is in a bind. Do you release it in early Fall? Right when Apple is likely to release iPhone5 and Samsung the Galaxy SII? Those two phones are going to have the Pre3 for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is absolutely no way the Pre3 can compete with iphone5/GsII.

    General public knows about the iphone, when a new iPhone comes out, every ***** knows that a new iphone came out.

    I fear it will indeed be a dud. Everyone on this site might get one, but that's no where close to what HP needs to sell.

    I'd love to see the numbers on the Veer, would just LOVEEEEEE to see em.

    The Veer, the brand new, 2nd smallest WebOS device with all new specs took a back seat to the Infuse on launch week!!

    The Pre3 goes up against a new iPhone or Samsung flagship can't be good so why wait?
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  3. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    HERE IS WHAT HP/PALM DOESN'T GET.

    The tech community has moved on. They gave Web OS a chance. They gave Palm a chance and nobody cares anymore. Web OS has been marketed so absolutely poorly that you get a bad taste in your mouth when you say those two words. It should not be that way b/c Web OS is the best OS out there. Bottom line Apple, Android, and WM7 are lightyears ahead in the competition and HP will never ever catch up.

    Especially when they release <<mod delete>> products that need updates to work properly like the Touchpad.


    After 5 Pre Plus' I've gone back to my Palm Treo 755p that is four years old and has over 7,000 minutes talk time on it. Why? The build quality on that phone was 1000 times better than the Pre Plus.

    With that said I'm done with Palm/HP for forever. I will not buy into a product that is marketed so poorly for so long, because the tech communities have moved on.

    BOTTOM LINE: The Pre 3 is DOA just like the OP said. Nobody is going to buy it just like nobody bought the Pre 2, the Veer, and now the Touchpad. Web OS should be in it's grave within 2 more years.
    You sound like one of those types who care more about how popular/hip the device is, rather than being more concerned about if your phone does what you want it to. I had a Treo 680 for over three years because it did things better for ME than all the other new devices that were being released, and I went with the Pre Plus when it was finally released on AT&T because it did what I needed it to do better than the competition.

    Speed is nice, but how well it serves the purpose is far more important to ME. The Pre 3 SHOULD be a big improvement over the Pre Plus, which is why I am waiting for it right now. DOA? Hardly, but it didn't sell well because the people at AT&T and Verizon are a bunch of <<mod delete>> who couldn't SELL a device that wasn't hyped beyond belief in the press, and who never bothered to see what strengths the device had before relegating it to being left in a case, turned off, with the slider closed.

    The tech crowd will ALWAYS look for the best device for a purpose, and overall, don't give a rats <<mod delete>> about how popular it is, as long as it works well.

    I am still on my original Pre Plus that I bought on May 17th of 2010, and I have no complaints with it.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/12/2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: language
    spudland likes this.
  4. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    You sound like one of those types who care more about how popular/hip the device is, rather than being more concerned about if your phone does what you want it to. I had a Treo 680 for over three years because it did things better for ME than all the other new devices that were being released, and I went with the Pre Plus when it was finally released on AT&T because it did what I needed it to do better than the competition.

    Speed is nice, but how well it serves the purpose is far more important to ME. The Pre 3 SHOULD be a big improvement over the Pre Plus, which is why I am waiting for it right now. DOA? Hardly, but it didn't sell well because the people at AT&T and Verizon are a bunch of <<mod delete>> who couldn't SELL a device that wasn't hyped beyond belief in the press, and who never bothered to see what strengths the device had before relegating it to being left in a case, turned off, with the slider closed.

    The tech crowd will ALWAYS look for the best device for a purpose, and overall, don't give a rats <<mod delete>> about how popular it is, as long as it works well.

    I am still on my original Pre Plus that I bought on May 17th of 2010, and I have no complaints with it.
    you think the pre3 has a chance releasing at the same time as the iphone 5? Sorry but that is pretty funny.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/12/2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
    threed61#WN and SmartFah like this.
  5. #25  
    People should care about how popular a device is. Popularity means a large user base. A large user base means widespread developer support. Widespread developer support means longevity, evolution, and growth.

    For example, I'm using apps on a daily basis in product categories that didn't even exist a year ago.
  6. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    you think the pre3 has a chance releasing at the same time as the iphone 5? Sorry but that is pretty funny.
    I didn't say THAT, but when people focus on how popular the device is, and saying how bad the existing devices are(even when they are still very good, in spite of relatively low speeds), they miss how good they MUST be in spite of these facts.

    HP should have released the Pre 3 with WebOS 2.1 back in February and it would have been a good release. The delay has been VERY bad, and the lack of communication with the existing fan base has only served to alienate that fan base that still has some rabid fans of WebOS. The thing is, we have NO idea what the hell is going on, and right now, all we have gotten are rumors. Why make the tablet the big focus when cell phones will be more popular? Why stay silent on what is going on, when the Touch to Share is a feature that WOULD be a driving aspect of why people should want a Touchpad?

    I am NOT happy, but being focused on the negatives won't help ANYONE(except Apple). So, I am trying to stay positive, and fight that trend of "it can't compete against the iPhone 5 which we have no specs on". For all we know, HP has someone on the inside that knows what processor the iPhone 5 will have, and is making sure that the Pre 3 will have at least that processor, if not faster.
  7. #27  
    I don't know. I think focusing on the negatives helps HP correct them. More so than pretending they don't exist or aren't important, anyway.
    chalx likes this.
  8. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People should care about how popular a device is. Popularity means a large user base. A large user base means widespread developer support. Widespread developer support means longevity, evolution, and growth.

    For example, I'm using apps on a daily basis in product categories that didn't even exist a year ago.
    Exactly. The rants against the Veer and Touchpad launches are as much if not more about WebOS than anything else. If HP fails with Strike3 for the Pre 3, then those devices that we carry will be abandoned with no upgrades to be made available and app development by individuals and companies will ignore the platform. If that happens, then the choice that most will be faced with is which iPhone/Ipad, Android or Blackberry to get.

    Example: Months before the Touchpad was launched, people thought there would certainly be a Netflix application made for WebOS. Well, that didn't happen, but you can get it on any Android device or iPhone/iPad. WebOS is not popular enough right now for NetFlix to write the App even though one could have been made back in the Pre days. Low Veer and Touchpad sales? HP explains those were just soft-launches, so excuse the numbers. But those numbers equate to power that WebOS customers should have but don't.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  9. #29  
    I'm going to agree with the last few posts.

    I love how people keep saying oh so what if it's not slab, so what if it's ugly, so what if no one is buying it, I love my Pre, my touchpad. I love this about webOS, I love that that about webOS.

    Yah, let me watch you love all that stuff when HP shuts the door on you because no one was buying their products other then the few loyal people like you.

    Here's a newsbreaker for you, the defenders of webOS(whomever you might be). If HP was given the option to abandon all the users on this website, loyal users, in return of millions of sales to normal average folks, they wouldn't think twice about YOU.

    Sorry but sales talk in most any business. You go love your pre and your TP and your pre+.

    Some of us like to look at the BIG PICTURE!, which shows a very very very dim future for webOS.
    chalx and geewhiz like this.
  10. #30  
    I've done just fine with my Pre- and the software I've aquired over the past couple years. Would I like doc editing? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No. Do I need Netflix? Not any more....cancelled 3 months ago because streaming sucks on a 55" HDTV. It will be some time before they get that right. If the Pre 3 comes out with the 1.4 GHz processor I'll be more than happy. I'm not positive but I don't think anything's out that's that fast at the moment and even if it was I'd choose webOS over the other players. If most of my programs have been upgraded to work on the Pre 3 I can be very happy with it. If the Phone, Calendar, Clock/Alarms, Phnx, Contacts Synergy, Web, Internalz, Camera, Notes, Ishelf all work then everything else is gravy...and I love me some gravy!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  11. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Exactly. The rants against the Veer and Touchpad launches are as much if not more about WebOS than anything else. If HP fails with Strike3 for the Pre 3, then those devices that we carry will be abandoned with no upgrades to be made available and app development by individuals and companies will ignore the platform. If that happens, then the choice that most will be faced with is which iPhone/Ipad, Android or Blackberry to get.

    Example: Months before the Touchpad was launched, people thought there would certainly be a Netflix application made for WebOS. Well, that didn't happen, but you can get it on any Android device or iPhone/iPad. WebOS is not popular enough right now for NetFlix to write the App even though one could have been made back in the Pre days. Low Veer and Touchpad sales? HP explains those were just soft-launches, so excuse the numbers. But those numbers equate to power that WebOS customers should have but don't.
    The Veer....if anything, that SHOULD have been saved until last, not first in the releases. It's TINY, and many people skipped the Pre/Pre Plus due to it being smaller than the competition. Tablets will ALWAYS have lower sales than the cell phones, and without a SOLID cell phone release to anchor the sales of the tablet, releasing a tablet mostly on its own is a huge mistake.

    I use my cell phone daily, and the one big draw that would make ME even consider getting a tablet would be the interaction between the Pre 3 and Touchpad. No Pre 3=no Touchpad sale for me, it's that simple. Why HP didn't make the Pre 3 their priority I have NO idea, because hands down, it would have been the biggest seller of the new generation of WebOS devices.

    But, of all the things that are not great about the Touchpad, if a lack of apps is the thing you are complaining about the most, that should be seen as the least of them since from the reviews, it's a very good device overall.

    The real issue, as I said, is that releasing the new WebOS infrastructure is like a programming lineup for TV. You don't expect people to watch a TV show that comes on at 10pm if you have crap on from 8-10 to draw people in, yet that is the same mistake HP did. If anything, the Touchpad launch could have been saved until after the Pre 3 launch or launch them together with Touch to Share. Make it a bundle deal where you get $100 off if you buy the two together or something.
  12.    #32  
    Wow. Not one person trolled this thread. It's nice to get intelligent well thought out responses. It doesn't happen on OTHER BOARDS. haha

    I agree with a lot of the points made. Web OS needs to be popular bc that what will drive app support.

    The biggest problems I see are
    Build Quality - Which we are assuming was FIXED
    App Support - HONESTLY. They just need the basics that people use. Skype, Netflix, and any other SERVICE you can think of that people use. If they could get the major players on board to develop an app then no one would think twice bc ok it doesn't have all the time wasters but HEY! I can SKYPE, and Watch Netflix, and Read a book, and listen to Pandora, and TWEET about it, and FACEBOOK and Post pictures, and TUMBLE and TEXT, and call and email, is so easy to use, and the OS is so intuitive.

    I agree that some game apps are needed but the Hp App store does not need as many apps as the iOS app store....QUALITY not QUANTITY.

    I also agree with HP needing to pull this off in the worst way BC I don't want to have a brick phone that they pull the plug on...... :cough:Kin:cough:

    And finally MARKETING....WHEN am I (nevermind, I never watch TV) going to see a WEB OS commercial or banner on yahoo? they better come out SWINGING with the marketing campaign when they release the phone. I REMEMBER when the original PRE came out. People were telling me I SEE YOUR PHONE EVERYWHERE. TOOOO bad the build quality was TERRIBLE. Anyway.

    IF they address all these things then WEB OS has a fighting chance....oh and also....some communication with the 10 or so loyal WEB OS fans that are still rocking their launch day PRES would be nice.
  13. #33  
    I am cautiously optimistic here. I looked at the Veer when it came out. It was $99. Well, I can get an iPhone 4 (refurbished) for $99 and the Veer just didn't compete. Then Amazon had it for $50. Well, then I started considering it. That is competitive with the iPhone 3GS, which is comparable to the Veer in speed and storage. Then HP dropped the price to $50 on their store and Amazon dropped it to $0.01. That is cheaper than the 3GS and sealed the deal.

    You can talk about the Pre3 competing with the iPhone 4 all you want, but it won't sell very many at the same price as the iPhone 4. With the rapid changes in the pricing of the Veer, I hope HP has realized that the Pre3 needs to be cheaper than the iPhone 4. That may be easier said than done. Rumors suggest that Apple will keep the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS after the iPhone 5 launch. That would be bad because it would fill the $99 price slot that the Pre3 seems perfect to fill. If Apple has iPhone 5 ($199), iPhone 4 ($99), iPhone 3GS ($25), does the Pre3 need to be $50?
  14. #34  
    I think the main issue is that the Pre 3 has taken forever to get to market. In all honesty, HP should have never done the Think Beyond event. They should have went completely silent until they were ready to release devices.

    If anything they should have let the FCC fillings, controlled leaks, and rumors be the only source of news about webOS. Then make all their official announcements at a Think Beyond event in June. Do you remember how much excitement & good press about webOS was circulating after the Think Beyond event? Then it was all crushed by the fact that we had no idea when all the products would launch & the months of waiting.

    If they would have had an event last month or this month, and released the Veer, TouchPad & Pre 3 all at once; or within the same month, things will be a whole lot different. The Pre 3 will suffer tremendously because it's taking so long to get to market. Every time a new smartphone launches with better display, better camera, or any improved features, the Pre 3 losses any competitive advantage it had. Add to that a new iPhone that's eminent, and the Pre 3 will be overshadowed by all the competition.

    My only speculation is that HP doesn't care to push the Pre 3 to consumers. They constantly talk about it as a phone for professionals, so they will probably try to push the phone through their enterprise sales force rather than depend only on the carrier stores.
  15. #35  
    Galaxy S II due in August supposedly, iphone 5 in september.

    I'm sorry to say, but Pre3 just doesn't fit in and will be placed to the back burner. Summer's hottest devices are gonna be the GSII and iPhone5.

    Sorry HP, you waited too freaking long! There is no way you can afford to launch the Pre3 in August, September or this year at all. People will look at those devices before they EVEN CONSIDER the Pre3.

    oh well........
  16. #36  
    I'm ready to look...and BUY! Just launch already, will ya'?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


    diodo314 likes this.
  17. kennbw's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #37  
    It's the lack of communication that is frustrating to the WebOS fans (or at least me). Are we owed some explanation of what is going on? Nope. But is it good business practice to keep the community that supports you the most, a little bit in the know? yes. That's all I think anyone is asking for. Throw us a bone by having some anonymous HP user log into precentral and tell everyone to relax, and here's the deal. If they came out tomorrow and said their next phone will be ready to go in August and it will look like a frog, we all would still buy it because we love WebOS. But at least we would have some information. You can't do hands-on demos in February, then do a major announcement event 3 months later, then stop all communications. It's now almost August and we've got nothing. That's the quickest way to get rid of momentum and lose your fan base. All of the leak dates keep coming and going. And I'm sure that the carriers don't know anything either. That doesn't help.

    And how come a company that can release 20 new laptops a month, can't figure out how to release 1 phone.
  18. #38  
    My hopes are that they are holding it back to get it right this time (to make sure both hardware and software are close to perfect for launch), and i don't really care if it takes them a couple more months until it's launched. I've used many many android devices (lastly being the HTC sensation, moto atrix, Xperia arc, Xperia play) and i can NEVER see myself using one as my main device. Even the sensation (which was overclocked to 1.5GHz), it's extremely fast, hands down the fastest smartphone i've ever used, but to me the OS is the dealbreaker. It's just not WebOS.

    I love everything about the pre3, it's exactly what i want. The only thing i ask is to have enyo on it. Until then tho, i'm good with my pre2
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    My hopes are that they are holding it back to get it right this time (to make sure both hardware and software are close to perfect for launch), and i don't really care if it takes them a couple more months until it's launched. I've used many many android devices (lastly being the HTC sensation, moto atrix, Xperia arc, Xperia play) and i can NEVER see myself using one as my main device. Even the sensation (which was overclocked to 1.5GHz), it's extremely fast, hands down the fastest smartphone i've ever used, but to me the OS is the dealbreaker. It's just not WebOS.

    I love everything about the pre3, it's exactly what i want. The only thing i ask is to have enyo on it. Until then tho, i'm good with my pre2
    I personally agree with this, 100%.

    My Pre+ on T-Mobile (only 2G speeds, obviously), still is, hands down, better than any device that I have been able to get my hands on for my own purposes, currently, and the only thing that I believe that would suit me better would be a large screen and a faster processer, and WebOS 2 on it.

    Don't get me wrong, there are some TERRIFIC toys out there.. with lots of bells and whistles to play with, but, when I need to use my smartphone as a portable computing device for my specific needs, the Pre and its formfactor, so far, fills the bill best - so, the Pre 3 would likely do an even better job of it, I speculate.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #40  
    5 Best Cell Phones Doomed to be Collectible - Yahoo! Shopping

    #3 is Palm Pre. See, everyone knows what a blunder and mismanagement this great OS has seen.

    Why put up a website with video and all, various youtube reviews, and everything else for a phone you don't plan to release until who knows when? I'm beyond p'd off and frustrated at this point. Same crap with Palm and same crap with HP.

    I mean, why launch the veer waaaay back when but you can't push out a product that already exists? Then you push the pre3 out, allegedly, in other countries before the US? Huh?

    My original pre is still a great phone but just physically breaking down. I will not buy an iphone as an apple computer user because I feel these peripherals are ruining the computer company, so I guess I'll have to settle for the second rate droid OS. It just makes me so mad that this company cannot communicate with it's consumers! It's like being caught in a touchtone call bank for half an hour trying to talk to a live person.

    So sc re w you HP! I hope your touchpad is an epic fail. Thanks for hammering the nail in the coffin of the best OS on the market... was. But you are going to have to find another consumer now to treat like data.

    And to all you pre users still holding on, some of you remind me of battered wives making excuses for what is inexcusable. This company, HP, has slapped you around without even giving you a reason why. Just came home drunk. Now a lot of you sound like you are telling your friends at work that you ran into a doorknob "oh, well they did say summer, and oh i'd rather wait until the phone is REALLY finished, and oh I heard they are making the processor faster, and oh HP is a computer company so give them time" and the worst, "oh, maybe I'll just buy a touch pad I love web OS so much". Huh? That's like asking for your other eye to get blackened.

    Look, I love this phone but I'm tired of this crap. For all of you, especially on sprint, who want to keep hanging on... good luck. But you might want to get yourselves some fresh steaks because I imagine you haven't taken your last beating.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions