Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Let's hope those in-store displays update themselves.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Let's hope those in-store displays update themselves.
    that is a million dollar business , they better be. And please , HP can you supply a good Wifi connection to all Bestbuys.
    yeah, but did 7 come out the box with known issues like sound going out periodically and requiring a reboot to get it back? issue where 7 just up and reboots out of nowhere every once in a while? you think people would have been ok with living with 7 like that for that amount of time until SP1 came out? of course not. lets be realistic now eh?

thinking back now... when i had a dell axim running winmobile 5... they did take years for updates... hmm... and look what happened to their mobile platform dominance since then.

Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    fwiw, as a new first-time WebOS type (bought a Touchpad sight unseen or touched), 10 days... even 15 days... WOW! To put it into context, on my work and home systems I'm running Win7 64-bit, which released in October, 2009. Service Pack 1 (uno) released in February, 2011; a full 11 months after it was announced. :-/

Looks like MS set the bar of my expectations far too low! ;-) I'm really looking forward to seeing how this WebOS stuff works. I like the apps I've played with so far (except for the Kindle placeholder) and like the forums, although I am not a developer type.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Apps are slacking due to the lack of devices that were able to get into developers hands pre-launch. Now that the NDA has been lifted on the 3.0SDK and developer pricing has been released, prepare yourself for more apps.
    I'm prepared! Just like I was prepared when the Pre 2 was given to developers for free and the influx of apps was determined to hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Notice it doesn't is "in 10 days." It says "in about 10 days."
    July 25th is about 10 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchPad_Owner_Andrew View Post
    July 25th is about 10 days.
    Its all over the blogosphere as about 10 days so if you have the inside track, Andrew, I suggest you advise the powers to be at HP to make it 10 days or less so as to underpromise and overdeliver.

I'm just sayin'.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yeah, but did 7 come out the box with known issues like sound going out periodically and requiring a reboot to get it back? issue where 7 just up and reboots out of nowhere every once in a while? you think people would have been ok with living with 7 like that for that amount of time until SP1 came out? of course not. lets be realistic now eh?
    Numerous driver issues at launch and "patch Tuesday" that regularly requires a reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Wow, so much negativity in this thread. "about 10 days" is a pretty well defined timeline for an OTA software update as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exact, meaning HP has some additional time to work out issues that may benefit from a bit more polish, but it's not "coming weeks" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's disappointing, but not altogether surprising the TouchPad wasn't really ready at launch. HP decided to go full steam ahead with webOS 3.0 on Enyo and an alpha version of the SDK wasn't even ready at the announcement date on February 9th. Attempting to rolling webOS 3.0 on new tablet hardware in 5 months while simultaneously being invested in advancing webOS 2.0 and working on two phones was probably even reckless.

That said, HP was apparently committed to hitting a general launch date they specified in early June.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I liked this post a lot Evil One, so am quoting it again.
    Yes, I too am wondering about the negativity which seems overstated.
    Funnier part is all the overstated negativity is coming from those "waiting for an OTA" that don't have a device to wait for. Seams like those holding devices are rather happy with them.

Whenever the OTA comes, those folks will move on to something else, maybe we will go back to the where is Sprint Pre3....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    hparsons and netwrkr9 like this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    fwiw, as a new first-time WebOS type (bought a Touchpad sight unseen or touched), 10 days... even 15 days... WOW! To put it into context, on my work and home systems I'm running Win7 64-bit, which released in October, 2009. Service Pack 1 (uno) released in February, 2011; a full 11 months after it was announced. :-/

Looks like MS set the bar of my expectations far too low! ;-) I'm really looking forward to seeing how this WebOS stuff works. I like the apps I've played with so far (except for the Kindle placeholder) and like the forums, although I am not a developer type.
    Well, welcome to our little (sometimes dysfunctional) family, and welcome to the world of Real Operating Systems(TM).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Hahha more soft launches???? this is really stupid....

thats the same bs they pulled with the veer launch.. it was a soft launch
    I'm not 100% sure that they don't, but I don't ever recall HP doing a big splashy launch on any of their products. All of the new launches I've ever seen from them are soft launches.
    feltmoney likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Indeed, this is just an alternative version of in the coming weeks...
    Actually, it's not. And the folks saying this are blowing wind. He said 10 days. Not "coming weeks". "Coming" means some indefinite time in the future. "Weeks" puts a little more in context.

10 days, even "about 10 days" is a totally different things. You folks that are trying to associate this to other, more vague promises, frankly sound like little children crying because they didn't get their way at one time or another.

If there's no update in 10 days, then he was wrong. Until then, he said what he said.
    angiest and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Yep. In other words: Not selling well = "soft launch"

God, these guys & their corporate BS talk. They must think we're all stupid.
    Actually, soft launch has a real meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm prepared! Just like I was prepared when the Pre 2 was given to developers for free and the influx of apps was determined to hit!
    And in spite of the silly snide remarks, the apps have been coming. Not a flood, but new apps just about every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Funnier part is all the overstated negativity is coming from those "waiting for an OTA" that don't have a device to wait for. Seams like those holding devices are rather happy with them.

Whenever the OTA comes, those folks will move on to something else, maybe we will go back to the where is Sprint Pre3....
    OhMyGosh, you just nailed it on the head.

Yes, the major complainers aren't waiting for an OTA upgrade, because they don't need one.

As a matter of fact, they need for there not to be one, so they can continue to complain about how bad WebOS is, and how the TouchPad is going to fail.
    JED-WEB-OS and feltmoney like this.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    that is a million dollar business , they better be. And please , HP can you supply a good Wifi connection to all Bestbuys.
    A good wifi connection for the ones that are working. The Best Buy I went to had 3 touchpads and a veer on display. Out of all that, 1 Touchpad was charged and working.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    It's funny. Even though I really do feel that I need the HTTP Proxy and Office editing support to use the device for what I intended, the longer I own the TouchPad, the more awesome I think it is. I guess I just want it to be awesome all the freaking time -- and show up those guys at work with iPads.
    feltmoney likes this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'm just hoping I can hold out that long. I use mine mostly for surfing the web and it is getting slower and rebooting more often. Some web pages take so long I think I could get out my laptop power it up log on open the browser and start surfing before its done loading the page. I might be crazy but I feel that with the touchpad only having to control itself and not multiple components and drivers for those different components it should scream thru tasks as simple as opening precentral.net
    I have a Touchpad. It's fantastic. The impending OTA update will make it even better. I'm sure it won't include everything I want, but I can just add those features myself.
    feltmoney likes this.
    I just heard that HP called the botched July 1 launch of the TouchPad a "soft launch" and announced that the real launch will be on July 17... Hhhmmm.

We -- the customers -- apparently never knew that Ruby had us on "double-secret probation". We are customers... We couldn't be trusted.

And now that Ruby has been pushed to the side of the road, it sounds like HP is trying to fix the mess... kinda.

Suggestions to Leo and the rest of the gang at HP:

Step 1 - Fess up in a straightforward, honest manner.
    Step 2 - Really "make it right". The $50 offer/gambit you recently made to the owners of older Pre models is really nothing. Forcing previously abused customers to buy the more expensive TouchPad model in order to get the abuse "made right" is adding insult to injury. Let your abused customers experience the TouchPad at the level of their choice (16GB or 32GB). That's much closer to "making it right".

Hey, HP you're better than this! (... or at least you used to be.)
    Really, why so many negative comments - however HP was sloppy with launch execution, it's hard to believe they will drop support for TouchPad two weeks after launch. Fixes will come for sure, but question is in what extent TP performance will improve. Anyway, I bet HP is hard to find reasons for resets and sound problems. If problem is in hardware, they will announce that in some point, and replace affected units. We all know that is problem with early adoption. And, just to add, however this soft-launch/hard-launch game is stupid, guys from HP mentioned before that TP campaign will intensify from mid July, so Bradley didn't make this up just to cover modest initial sales results.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast