Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Soft launch as in the device launches, but advertising doesn't ramp up until a few weeks after launch. Look at all of the adverts that the Veer has now...
    Well, a launch is a launch. So when was the Veer "hard launched" then? When the adverts came?? Its still not selling by all accounts & likely won't. So I don't think any of this terminology means anything. And now they're playing these same name games with the Touchpad.

So with all the price dropping of the Touchpad so soon & the Ruby kicking going on over at HP these days, that doesn't exactly strike confidence that everything is all hunky dory in WebOS land.
    I am not holding my breath on any update "soft" announcements. Until then, I am going to enjoy my TouchPad.

BTW, a soft launch is not a good thing. If your wife told you (assuming you are male) that you had a "soft launch," you'd be embarrassed. NASA doesnt "soft launch" the shuttle. Maybe that's why our apps appear slow...because they are "soft launching". I see past HP's PRPRPR $speak$!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Maybe HP doesn't need a hard launch. Would Apple sell as many Macbooks if the hype machine wasn't working in their favor?

HP owns the PC market and they have never had a "hard launch." Why should they start now?

The TouchPad has been out 11 days. If you were expecting iPad-esque sales numbers you were fooling yourself. HP is not about having one hit device, they are about having so many devices that you can't help but find one that works for you.

This TouchPad is device number 1 of likely dozens to follow. I still think the end goal for HP is to have the TouchPad be as customizable as any other PC they sell.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    LordSecksie and Rnp like this.
    Well, atleast "Leave it to Leo" didn't say this so may be in a couple weeks we will have an update.....
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Maybe HP doesn't need a hard launch. Would Apple sell as many Macbooks if the hype machine wasn't working in their favor?

HP owns the PC market and they have never had a "hard launch." Why should they start now?

The TouchPad has been out 11 days. If you were expecting iPad-esque sales numbers you were fooling yourself. HP is not about having one hit device, they are about having so many devices that you can't help but find one that works for you.

This TouchPad is device number 1 of likely dozens to follow. I still think the end goal for HP is to have the TouchPad be as customizable as any other PC they sell.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    That's a pretty ignorant thing to say considering the circumstances. Name me a windows laptop before the macbook that had good performance/thin design/good battery life. Where do you think some of the ideas from the Envy Line came from? Yes a Macbook may be heavily overpriced but nethertheless they are still very high quality products.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    By that logic the ipad2 was a soft launch.
    Yes.... It was. But look at how much larger the user base for that system has been. You really can't compare the 2 at all
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I am not holding my breath on any update "soft" announcements. Until then, I am going to enjoy my TouchPad.

BTW, a soft launch is not a good thing. If your wife told you (assuming you are male) that you had a "soft launch," you'd be embarrassed. NASA doesnt "soft launch" the shuttle. Maybe that's why our apps appear slow...because they are "soft launching". I see past HP's PRPRPR $speak$!
    Apps are slacking due to the lack of devices that were able to get into developers hands pre-launch. Now that the NDA has been lifted on the 3.0SDK and developer pricing has been released, prepare yourself for more apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Well, a launch is a launch. So when was the Veer "hard launched" then? When the adverts came?? Its still not selling by all accounts & likely won't. So I don't think any of this terminology means anything. And now they're playing these same name games with the Touchpad.

So with all the price dropping of the Touchpad so soon & the Ruby kicking going on over at HP these days, that doesn't exactly strike confidence that everything is all hunky dory in WebOS land.
    Did you expect a 2nd launch? There is no "hard" launch when there is a "soft" launch. The device gets out, some folks buy it, some don't. Word of mouth spreads from users experiences. Then the advertisements kick in to gear. And what sales numbers are you going by? I would love to see them.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm done waiting for quality webOS products from HP.
    akshunj likes this.
    I am glad HP is so honest with its customers to let us know the update is coming in 10 days! Since HP said this is coming I am sure we will have our update soon. HP has never let us down before. We can take this release date to the bank!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    speedtouch likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    All I can say is "NDA." But the "NDA" for the "NDA" is really "NDA."
    Commenting on your "sig," I will say Phineas and Ferb is probably the best kid's show on these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    what about the update for editing with quick office?
    had hoped to be able to use the editing features of QuickOffice on my new Touchpad; looks like they are "working on it". The QO link for WebOS does say that if you sign up to wait, you'll be eligible for a discount on the Pro version:
    Quickoffice Quickoffice for webOS
    Notice it doesn't is "in 10 days." It says "in about 10 days."
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Commenting on your "sig," I will say Phineas and Ferb is probably the best kid's show on these days.
    Hey...where's Perry?
    Wow, so much negativity in this thread. "about 10 days" is a pretty well defined timeline for an OTA software update as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exact, meaning HP has some additional time to work out issues that may benefit from a bit more polish, but it's not "coming weeks" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's disappointing, but not altogether surprising the TouchPad wasn't really ready at launch. HP decided to go full steam ahead with webOS 3.0 on Enyo and an alpha version of the SDK wasn't even ready at the announcement date on February 9th. Attempting to rolling webOS 3.0 on new tablet hardware in 5 months while simultaneously being invested in advancing webOS 2.0 and working on two phones was probably even reckless.

That said, HP was apparently committed to hitting a general launch date they specified in early June.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Wow, so much negativity in this thread. "about 10 days" is a pretty well defined timeline for an OTA software update as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exact, meaning HP has some additional time to work out issues that may benefit from a bit more polish, but it's not "coming weeks" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's disappointing, but not altogether surprising the TouchPad wasn't really ready at launch. HP decided to go full steam ahead with webOS 3.0 on Enyo and an alpha version of the SDK wasn't even ready at the announcement date on February 9th. Attempting to rolling webOS 3.0 on new tablet hardware in 5 months while simultaneously being invested in advancing webOS 2.0 and working on two phones was probably even reckless.

That said, HP was apparently committed to hitting a general launch date they specified in early June.
    I liked this post a lot Evil One, so am quoting it again.
    Yes, I too am wondering about the negativity which seems overstated.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I liked this post a lot Evil One, so am quoting it again.
    Yes, I too am wondering about the negativity which seems overstated.
    Indeed. About 10 days is hardly the wiggle room of "soon," "coming weeks," "in the summer," etc.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    About ten days was yesterday as per English calendar. I am not sure about the Mayan one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    About ten days was yesterday as per English calendar. I am not sure about the Mayan one though.
    10 days from when the statement was made im assuming
    fwiw, as a new first-time WebOS type (bought a Touchpad sight unseen or touched), 10 days... even 15 days... WOW! To put it into context, on my work and home systems I'm running Win7 64-bit, which released in October, 2009. Service Pack 1 (uno) released in February, 2011; a full 11 months after it was announced. :-/

Looks like MS set the bar of my expectations far too low! ;-) I'm really looking forward to seeing how this WebOS stuff works. I like the apps I've played with so far (except for the Kindle placeholder) and like the forums, although I am not a developer type.
    hparsons and PrinceAlbert like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast