Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Garrett92C
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Is WebOS Hosed?

Things are not looking good, that's for sure.
    They don't get it. webOS for all its greatness failed to execute. Now it has some guys with execution skills and the trust of an worldwide ecosystem. Talent will flock back to webOS and it will now be connected to a well-oiled system of knowing how to spread functioning products into the marketplace.
    Does anyone even take Gizmodo seriously? lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I love gizmodo but they are testing my patience with the lack luster support for WebOS. I hope the move for Ruby was the best. Maybe it will be his innovative vision that will launch WebOS on laptops, the right way.

Here's to optimism and keeping hope alive!!!
    Nice article by Derek explaining HP's seriousness in terms of execution, I agree that there is a good chance things will only get better from here:

HP's move puts Rubinstein in Rahul Sood's old shoes, an operations guy in charge of webOS | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    I think the author totally understands the greatness of webOS when he says,
    "...truth be told, my two-year-old, technologically ancient Pre still feels more advanced than the best Android phones on the market today."
    IcerC and Rnp like this.
    He's upset that Rubenstein who led to their ground breaking devices (the author's idea) is gone from WebOS, yet in the same breath he calls all their new devices heartbreakingly poor? You can't have it both ways.
    ruby's the whole reason it's sucked. IT's not terrible news he's going, it's awesome! PRofitable person in charge? Exactly what we need. Stop wasting money on old school last years tech, we need to license the OS if needed (w/ licensee's Sony, HandSpring, etc Palm was doing well and had the market) and partner with major launch partner developers. A person that sees the bottom line will understand this more.

Totally biased article
    I've been a daily reader of Engadget and Gizmodo for a couple of years, and have recently been so torqued about their apparent bias against WebOS (it's always been there for the ******* at Giz, but it's disappointingly new for Engadget - despite what some say Engadget has a history of rooting for WebOS), that I've stopped visiting their sites. It's not a boycott. It just seems like they have it out for WebOS, for some odd reason. Is it just me? I own a touchpad, and after all my profiles loaded, it has performed incredibly well. I've shown it to fruit people who completely dug it. I am realistic about the shortcomings - lack of apps, a few minor bugs - but it's a brand new product. Seems to be a lot of unwarranted negativity going around in the media about the TP.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    ruby's the whole reason it's sucked. IT's not terrible news he's going, it's awesome! PRofitable person in charge? Exactly what we need. Stop wasting money on old school last years tech, we need to license the OS if needed (w/ licensee's Sony, HandSpring, etc Palm was doing well and had the market) and partner with major launch partner developers. A person that sees the bottom line will understand this more.

Totally biased article
    Biased to who/what? Jon Rubinstein?
    I admit... I've done my fair share of complaining about Ruby... maybe not openly by posting on the forum but in thoughts and attitude, wishing he'd just go away. But now that I think the last of anyone left over from OG-webOS is gone, then it's a bit frightening actually... who's going to guard webOS from getting dismantled and swallowed up into the cold corporate "the bottom line is all that counts" ship?
    Great idea people don't always make great managers, and vice versa. What the webOS GBU needs is a great manager at its helm. I, like Derek on our homepage, am encouraged by yesterday's move, since it takes Ruby out of a position for which he was *not* the best choice and moves a demonstrably talented manager in. {Jonathan}
  13.    #13  
    Techcrunch just came out with a similar article today. Palm: Not Waving But Drowning

I think its pretty obvious what's going on. HP never had any intention of maintaining the hardware + software model Palm adhered to. They'll end up licensing WebOS to a couple companies, throwing it on some printers & overtop of Windows.

The Touchpad, Veer & Pre 3 were probably just the leftovers Palm had been working on when they got bought out & HP agreed to release them under the HP name when they were completed. Which would explain a lot actually & why they feel like half-baked products & why you're not seeing even a hint of anything substantial coming in the near future.

Yeah, you might eventually see WebOS on some solid hardware someday, but who the hell knows when that will even be & what company it will come from. Probably Samsung if I were guessing. But by then, will anyone pay attention?? iOS, Android & Windows Phone 7 will all be lightyears ahead by then. I'm not sure there's room for a 4th mobile OS player.
    I think its pretty obvious what's going on. HP never had any intention of maintaining the hardware + software model Palm adhered to. They'll end up licensing WebOS to a couple companies, throwing it on some printers & overtop of Windows.
    I believe that is what "you think", but that is not true...

Everything is showing that the future is use the Internet in mobile devices, smartphones and; now, maybe in tablets, leaving the PC's market restrict to work. This big companies don't look only in one or two years, but four or five years ahead...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Techcrunch just came out with a similar article today. Palm: Not Waving But Drowning

The Touchpad, Veer & Pre 3 were probably just the leftovers Palm had been working on when they got bought out & HP agreed to release them under the HP name when they were completed. Which would explain a lot actually & why they feel like half-baked products & why you're not seeing even a hint of anything substantial coming in the near future.

Yeah, you might eventually see WebOS on some solid hardware someday, but who the hell knows when that will even be & what company it will come from. Probably Samsung if I were guessing. But by then, will anyone pay attention?? iOS, Android & Windows Phone 7 will all be lightyears ahead by then. I'm not sure there's room for a 4th mobile OS player.
    HP executives have said a lot of baffling and contradictory things since acquiring Palm but I think "we didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business" is probably the truest statement from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    HP executives have said a lot of baffling and contradictory things since acquiring Palm but I think "we didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business" is probably the truest statement from them.
    They got it for an ecosystem which includes a multitude of devices including smartphones.

To me, it looks like they weren't ready at launch for the TouchPad and so the phones will be pushed back. Hopefully, they are moving quickly to turn this around with the change of leadership being not only a shot of confidence in the channel but also injecting some more positive energy into Palm (oops I mean webOS).
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're right, I forget about that quote. Pretty telling indeed. I'm sure Rubinstein & the company aren't really seeing things eye to eye, which is probably another reason why he's in the position he's in now. I really don't see him being at HP for much longer. He'll probably pull a Steve Jobs circa 1985 & just leave the company.
    It's particularly damning when you consider that most of the high profile webOS architects and designers left the company shortly after HP acquired Palm. In retrospect it seems like they saw the writing on the wall.