View Poll Results: If Ruby leaves H/P, will it make the webOS better or worse?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes will help webOS

20 29.85%
  • No, WebOS will suffer if Ruby leaves H/P

14 20.90%
  • Too early to tell

24 35.82%
  • WebOS it too late to be saved.

9 13.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Now that Ruby is demoted, he is most likely to leave. Do you think that will help or hinder webOS development? Was he a champion? Or a dreamer stuck in an Apple dream.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results

I think ruby moving out of the way is a GOOD thing
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    SmartFah likes this.
    Can it be any worse without him then with him? He should have been the first one jettisoned instead of the last. With him it's the one step two step. One step forward in progress. Then two steps back in implementation. I swear, he couldn't have a good idea if he tripped over it.
    People forget that Palm was stagnant and lost when they came to him. Ruby is the brain child of one of the most elegant OS's.

One of the most true statements I've heard from an IDEO employee is that people are either leaders or managers but nobody can be both.

Ruby is a good leader with his ideas and vision but the problems HPalm has had are management related.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    People forget that Palm was stagnant and lost when they came to him. Ruby is the brain child of one of the most elegant OS's.

One of the most true statements I've heard from an IDEO employee is that people are either leaders or managers but nobody can be both.

Ruby is a good leader with his ideas and vision but the problems HPalm has had are management related.
    Is he really, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Is he really, though?
    In 2007, Rubinstein was sitting on a beach in Mexico, enjoying retirement, when he got a call from McNamee and Fred Anderson, Apples former chief financial officer. Their pitch: reinvent Palm. McNamee and Anderson sent Palm Chief Executive Officer Ed Colligan to Mexico to sway Rubinstein.

We hung out for a couple of days, did some brainstorming, drank some margaritas and brainstormed some more, Rubinstein said at the Pres unveiling in January about his decision to return to California. It was an incredible product opportunity, and Im a product guy.

Palms Jon Rubinstein Brings Apple Culture to Company
    That he was at the head of palm's reinvention.
    If you want to call it that, then sure. We all know that webOS hasn't been all sunshine and flowers, but he was in charge of the good as well as the bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    And your point is...
    In the quote I lifted Ruby states, “It was an incredible product opportunity, and I’m a product guy.” That not what you want in a manager. Ruby is a hands on creative type. Not someone who is concerned about dates, scheduling and supplier issues.
    He maybe able to make, but he cannot sell.

He seems like the type that will ignore market forces and implement his own vision. Does that remind you of someone? perhaps Steve Jobs? I mean, not far fetched since he worked for the man.

But there is one itty bitty problem here...................... RUBY IS NOT STEVE JOBS.

Steve Jobs could literally make you buy a piece of turd with an Apple logo on it. Yes, he is THAT good. I don't care what you think of Apple, or their products but even you know deep inside that is the truth.

He tried too much to be like Jobs and failed. That's my take on it.
    I think Ruby's skills are in the product conception.

Developing the concept of the Palm phone and webOS is an incredible achievement, but it is time to move onto more mature development.

If what HP is doing is moving the touchpad and P3 and Veer into the mainstream and telling Ruby, we are 100% behind your NEXT product, perhaps it is what he wants. Freedom and finances to play again.
    popologuy likes this.
    If anything, I think I'd give more credit to Matias Duarte (along with the other designers that left Palm) for the creation of webOS.
    If anything, I think I'd give more credit to Matias Duarte (along with the other designers that left Palm) for the creation of webOS.
    He knew what he had created, he knew the potential and saw how his work was being butchered. Jumped ship early and now he's laughing all the way to the bank.
    He was basically retired when Palm came to him. I'm sure he did it because it was something he felt passionate about.

If he still has that passion then he could continue to be a great asset to HP and WebOS with future products.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Money speaks louder than passion.

Every day.
    If we were talking about Larry Ellison I'd agree with you but Ruby is not an egomaniac driving around in a McLaren F1 terrorizing the general public with his wealth.

I've talked with Ruby a few times on different occasions and he's very down to earth practical guy who's not in it for the Bling.
    im confused why people keep pointing the finger and blaming everything on Rub? First of all Palm would have sunk faster without RUB and Webos, and most likely would have not be bought for the OS, but simple for their patents. Second Im pretty sure every head exec at HP sees the products (touchpad, veer, pre 3 etc) before it is even considered to be shown to the outside world, so if you blame the product design on him your lost. Rub knows how Webos works, as I said before let him focus on the software only, and bring in a excellent product designer to make the devices enough said.
    RafRol likes this.
    Here's another perspective from Gizmodo:

Is WebOS Hosed?
    In the quote I lifted Ruby states, It was an incredible product opportunity, and Im a product guy. That not what you want in a manager. Ruby is a hands on creative type. Not someone who is concerned about dates, scheduling and supplier issues.
    I agree with this 100%, that's why I think today's move was a good one. Ruby is the creative type, dealing with dates, scheduling, etc is not his thing. I think that was obvious at his interview with Engadget back in March. He couldn't even really recall the specs of the devices (Veer, TP, Pre 3).

Viddler.com - The Engadget Show - 019: HP's Jon Rubinstein, Palm TouchPad demo, Nintendo 3DS, Samsung 9 Series - Uploaded by engadgetshow
    Here's another perspective from Gizmodo:

Is WebOS Hosed?
    Best comment:

"WebOS is the "Arrested Development" of smartphone platforms"
    Ruby changing positions in HP/Palm has little to do with growth of webOS. The game changer for webOS was a big company like HP purchasing a floundering Palm and having the resources to take webOS to the next level.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast