View Poll Results: If Ruby leaves H/P, will it make the webOS better or worse?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes will help webOS

20 29.85%
  • No, WebOS will suffer if Ruby leaves H/P

14 20.90%
  • Too early to tell

24 35.82%
  • WebOS it too late to be saved.

9 13.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Makes me wonder how uninformed some of the new precentral users are, specially when they are blaming Ruby. I wish I had a spare treo 700Ws or even 800Ws to supply them postage paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Makes me wonder how uninformed some of the new precentral users are, specially when they are blaming Ruby. I wish I had a spare treo 700Ws or even 800Ws to supply them postage paid.
    If you had done this 4 years ago it would have been noticed. Unfortunately with users reporting Sanjay on the Sprint Chat in the Philippines says when pressured to "confess" under threat of canceling Sprint that the Pre 3 is coming to Sprint believe this to be iron clad proof.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    I always find it amazing how 'join-date' of a rumor mill and 'knowledge' are perceived to go hand-in-hand.
    Agree, the join date and knowledge don't go together.

On a related note, I find it amazing that users who with a join date of 2011 blame Ruby for HP's problems.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If you had done this 4 years ago it would have been noticed. Unfortunately with users reporting Sanjay on the Sprint Chat in the Philippines says when pressured to "confess" under threat of canceling Sprint that the Pre 3 is coming to Sprint believe this to be iron clad proof.
    I have no hope for Pre3 on Sprint. I believe even Ruby's demotion don't help. The only way is hacking it with Pre-.
    Agree, the join date and knowledge don't go together.

On a related note, I find it amazing that users who with a join date of 2011 blame Ruby for HP's problems.
    I understand the thinking though. There are basically 2 chapters to the Palm saga -- both ended badly in different ways.
    My opinion: it's too early to tell what will happen. Assigning blame is probably the wrong thing to do. Sometimes a mix of people just doesn't work quite right, and it isn't necessarily anyone's fault. I will say that coming up with and implementing the next big thing is quite different from managing a company or business unit. I expect Ruby was pretty unhappy in his position, having to worry about the bottom line all the time. He belongs in a position similar to where he was at Apple. I think this will turn out to be a good move for him, especially if he stays at HP and remains involved in lots of different aspects of the Personal Systems Group, especially mobile ones.

I think the big unknown is the new guy they brought in. He seems to be able to turn a profit, but this is a different ballgame than the one he's been playing in. Jury is still out.

The other big unknown is what will happen with the people at the next level of the business unit. Do they have the right people in place? Will the right people stay in place? They really need to hang on to folks like Richard Kerris, and Ruby needs to continue to be involved.

They also need some truly incredible software people. I think they are surviving on heroics right now, probably working their best people to death. An organization cannot survive that way for very long, and I fear they're at the end of their rope. I would really love to see some signs that they can churn out high quality software on a regular basis without resorting to heroics. Signs of heroics: not being able to meet deadlines with all features in place, taking on more work than they can handle, and so forth. I think they probably need some big upgrades in their software processes and project management. Not because they're not smart, and not because they're not doing good things, but because they've never had so much on their plate before. And they need to accomplish this without losing their, ahem, mojo.

These are big, big challenges. It will take some very strong, very disciplined leadership to make it all work, not to mention some pretty substantial resources. My fear is that there will be cuts in the wrong places in an effort to become profitable. But, again, the jury is still out. We won't really know for a year or more.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    My opinion: it's too early to tell what will happen. Assigning blame is probably the wrong thing to do. Sometimes a mix of people just doesn't work quite right, and it isn't necessarily anyone's fault. I will say that coming up with and implementing the next big thing is quite different from managing a company or business unit. I expect Ruby was pretty unhappy in his position, having to worry about the bottom line all the time. He belongs in a position similar to where he was at Apple. I think this will turn out to be a good move for him, especially if he stays at HP and remains involved in lots of different aspects of the Personal Systems Group, especially mobile ones.

I think the big unknown is the new guy they brought in. He seems to be able to turn a profit, but this is a different ballgame than the one he's been playing in. Jury is still out.

The other big unknown is what will happen with the people at the next level of the business unit. Do they have the right people in place? Will the right people stay in place? They really need to hang on to folks like Richard Kerris, and Ruby needs to continue to be involved.

They also need some truly incredible software people. I think they are surviving on heroics right now, probably working their best people to death. An organization cannot survive that way for very long, and I fear they're at the end of their rope. I would really love to see some signs that they can churn out high quality software on a regular basis without resorting to heroics. Signs of heroics: not being able to meet deadlines with all features in place, taking on more work than they can handle, and so forth. I think they probably need some big upgrades in their software processes and project management. Not because they're not smart, and not because they're not doing good things, but because they've never had so much on their plate before. And they need to accomplish this without losing their, ahem, mojo.

These are big, big challenges. It will take some very strong, very disciplined leadership to make it all work, not to mention some pretty substantial resources. My fear is that there will be cuts in the wrong places in an effort to become profitable. But, again, the jury is still out. We won't really know for a year or more.
    Man, that is the best comment so nicely put. Wish Leo and this new Guy would listen to you and the rest of us. I hope he is not just going to fire people and do cost cutting, that would be bad. He needs to attract talent.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

Great post. The issue is with resources. I am not seeing more people getting hired or moved to this division. They need to hire a boat load of super programmers. Why ? It seems to me that they are resorting to their Heros for everything starting from creating new features to fixing old defects in software. I have an existing issue of the App store not being able to used in USA , because of the device activation is Europe. This issue is going back and forth. Last I heard from them, it is sitting with their engineering team. Why ? I went all the way to level 4 support to explain things. They seemed to be not quite up to the task. so they deferred to the engineering. The advanced tech support guy told me that all of their engineers are busy working on Touchpad. If HP wants to be in the mobile race , then webOS division is where all the money should go. Trying to cut corners will end up HP loosing the market for both computers and mobile.
  9.    #49  
    Its like H/P wants webOS to do something but doesnt want to hire more people. Ruby should have doubled his work force, but he only hired few peripheral guys, that was probably once reason why he got demoted.
    Not sure how this would be a demotion... to the contrary, he is still a Sr. VP, but now with responsibility across <all> of PSG, not just WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    Not sure how this would be a demotion... to the contrary, he is still a Sr. VP, but now with responsibility across <all> of PSG, not just WebOS.
    It's a job without definition. As per contract he keeps his title. He may be able to go across more divisions. Will he have any REAL authority? Probably not.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    It's a job without definition. As per contract he keeps his title. He may be able to go across more divisions. Will he have any REAL authority? Probably not.

Really, check out again. Head of Product Innovation. Its different kind of power.Now he has to make webOS work on everything from printers to toasters. That's a lot of power we don't get to see.
  13.    #53  
    Reinvention to exactly what?

This mess?
    Whether or not it's a "mess" is up for debate, but there is one thing that really isn't disputed.

They were in far worse trouble than before.
    Oh, wait....

Palm gave them a server.

Nevermind.
    Thanks for sharing your great expertise and insight on the matter (and actually, it was HP that gave them a server).
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I have a feeling that Ruby will have a team to show webOS on a printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post

And if "Authority" was what he was seeking when he was approached while laying out on the beach, then it's a demotion.

If a position to come up with ideas for products was what he wanted, then it's a promotion, or at worst a lateral move.
  18.    #58  
    I have a feeling that Ruby will have a team to show webOS on a printer.
    I rather have webOS on my fridge or TV, though I am scared about cars as TP reboots randomly. I dont want my directions to go kaput while driving
    laoh likes this.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I rather have webOS on my fridge or TV, though I am scared about cars as TP reboots randomly. I dont want my directions to go kaput while driving
    Thats funny,
    Now the serious part, for reasons known to HP, they are hell-bent on printers. So I bet Todd Bradley might have told Ruby to close the shop and give the keys to Dewitt. The he might have told him to start working on printers in the garage next door. In addition I bet HP will license it. They need to make some money off the acquisition.
  20.    #60  
    A good idea would be to license webOS for phones as H/P doesnt make them and keep it for tablets for themselves.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast