View Poll Results: If Ruby leaves H/P, will it make the webOS better or worse?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes will help webOS

20 29.85%
  • No, WebOS will suffer if Ruby leaves H/P

14 20.90%
  • Too early to tell

24 35.82%
  • WebOS it too late to be saved.

9 13.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    im confused why people keep pointing the finger and blaming everything on Rub? First of all Palm would have sunk faster without RUB and Webos, and most likely would have not be bought for the OS, but simple for their patents. Second Im pretty sure every head exec at HP sees the products (touchpad, veer, pre 3 etc) before it is even considered to be shown to the outside world, so if you blame the product design on him your lost. Rub knows how Webos works, as I said before let him focus on the software only, and bring in a excellent product designer to make the devices enough said.
    Just remember one thing: before Rubinstein, all Palm had was the Foleo.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Best comment:

"WebOS is the "Arrested Development" of smartphone platforms"
    God, that's so dead-on.

Just like there's always an Arrested Development movie in the works, there's always something big coming to save webOS. And neither ever comes to fruition.
  3. AZ8

DeWitt seems more interested in the "other" things webOS can be used in. With a token mention of "a smartphone", he really didn't give a glaring endorsement for the mobility side of it. I think he mentioned alarm clocks and cars more!

HP has bigger plans for webOS. Phones will just be a part of it, falling under the umbrella of webOS.

With this direction, HP will never have a top selling smartphone. They'll be successful with webOS....but their smartphones will be swallowed up by the dedicated smartphone builders pumping out new phones every 7 months!
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Why is everyone giving Jon the heat? What about the CEO who promised device launches weeks after annoucements or even the next webOS device would be "perfect". Heck what about Kerris, who not only promised essential apps at launch, but thousands of apps to choose from? If your gonna hate on Jon, then hate on these bimbos also running the show
    Ruby should stay and focus on product. He's probably more passionate about webOS than anyone else at HP. WebOS in and of itself is a humongous achievement don't you think? It just needs to be marketed correctly and mated with the right hardware. Let the ppl that are good at all things not product related handle all things not product related.
    I think the "we will make it right" comment and the launch of the TP did him in. There was no way out from under that comment.
  7.    #27  
    I can of feel bad about Ruby, I think just like Rahol Sood he would end up moving away, a loss, maybe Apple would take him back.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I can of feel bad about Ruby, I think just like Rahol Sood he would end up moving away, a loss, maybe Apple would take him back.
    Apple won't take back Ruby. They already have what they need to be leaders in that sector of the market.

Microsoft is more likely to take Jon, well more likely than Apple.
  9.    #29  
    Anyway it was bound to happen after such a lackluster TP and no pre-3 and a dud of pre-2 and very soft launch of Veer. Remember the kin guy also got fired.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    WOW !

Didn't see this coming.

Since some of the article is TP related, what do you all say about this changing of the guard ?

HP's Stephen DeWitt to lead webOS global business unit, Jon Rubinstein stepping aside -- Engadget
    <<threads merged>>
    How about Omar Khan to lead HP mobile unit?

Android-friendly Samsung CTO abandons ship for Citigroup -- Engadget
  13.    #33  
    I think Omar Khan would be an amazing candidate, however he is going for bigger bucks w citigroup.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    And your point is...
    And his point is Palm created webOS in 2005 and they were ruling the mobile market. Jon actually brought down Palm after he joined the company.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Reinvention to exactly what?

This mess?
    I wish you knew about Treo phones. Palm had fallen behind after inventing mobile phones that do internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And his point is Palm created webOS in 2005 and they were ruling the mobile market. Jon actually brought down Palm after he joined the company.
    Not only did you get my point completely wrong, after I already clarified it but you got the actual history and events surrounding Palm wrong too.

Palm didn't even talk to Jon until 2007. WebOS was released on 2009 not 2005. He didn't bring Palm down since they were already down and out and needed a new direction and more cash which is where Elevation Partners came in with $425 million.

Jon's Pre was introduced to CES in 2009 winning CNET's Best in Show, Best in Category: Cell Phones & Smartphones and People's Voice for CES 2009.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Not only did you get my point completely wrong, after I already clarified it but you got the actual history and events surrounding Palm wrong too.

Palm didn't even talk to Jon until 2007. WebOS was released on 2009 not 2005. He didn't bring Palm down since they were already down and out and needed a new direction and more cash which is where Elevation Partners came in with $425 million.

Jon's Pre was introduced to CES in 2009 winning CNET's Best in Show, Best in Category: Cell Phones & Smartphones and People's Voice for CES 2009.
    Oh, you fell for the sarcasm . my bad. Folks on this forum didn't know that Palm was dead by the time Ruby joined. Their first punch came from RIM followed by Apple. Ed Colligan of all the people is responsible for Palm's down fall. He was arrogant when he said PC guys are not going to walk in when Apple introduced the iPhone.

If anything all of the webOS lovers owe it to Jon. He created a fantastic team. Mike Bell, Matias Duarte and the super smart Apple engineers ... the list goes on. The issue is not the Pre its the shape of Pre. If they released a 4.3 inch Evo like phone by April 2009, we wouldn't be talking about any of it now.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Here's another perspective from Gizmodo:

Is WebOS Hosed?
    The article has valid points. You need creative guys leading webOS not a regular button down operations guy. This is the end of Phones if I read Stephen D's video.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Oh, you fell for the sarcasm
    Yes we all fell for you sarcasm. You totally got us... Or maybe it's that you didn't use this brand new technology that just came out called emoticons
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yes we all fell for you sarcasm. You totally got us... Or maybe it's that you didn't use this brand new technology that just came out called emoticons
    , I put the year in there just for kicks. I wonder how many of the newbies are now Googling webOS creation date
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast