Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hopefully the new guy will have the good sense to make some better handsets. Making the same phone again seems like a recipe for more of the same problems. They should start over, new handsets IMO.

Q for Ruby: why when a phone fails do you come out two years later with the same phone, but 30% larger?
    The form factor isn't the problem. Having more options for those who don't like it is a good idea, but the pre form is one worth keeping in a world of identical phones.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    The form factor isn't the problem. Having more options for those who don't like it is a good idea, but the pre form is one worth keeping in a world of identical phones.
    Not if no one is buying it.
    I agree. I would definitely keep the pre form factor over a keyboard-less phone. I'm thinking the Pre 3 will be perfect.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't have an issue with the styling of the phone as much as I have an issue with the time it has taken Palm, now HP, to bring devices into the market after their annoucment, all the while hyping them as the best thing since sliced bread, only to have them released as not quite ready. I can't say I'm really sorry to see Ruby go at this point.
    Im glad HP saw the light...The veer announcement in feb. destroyed my confidence in Rubys leadership...How could he think the world was craving a micro pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    The moment HP is switching to a keyboardless form factor only, I'm leaving.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I don't have an issue with the styling of the phone as much as I have an issue with the time it has taken Palm, now HP, to bring devices into the market after their annoucment, all the while hyping them as the best thing since sliced bread, only to have them released as not quite ready. I can't say I'm really sorry to see Ruby go at this point.
    This probably has more to do with why the Pre didn't sell well. They took six months to release the Pre after the buzz had died down. Then they took too long to open the App Catalog to developers. The Pre- was half-baked, and it took them one year to release the Pre+, which should have been the phone released on Sprint originally. The Pre2 came more than a year later, after other phones had moved on to 4G, front facing cameras, and bigger screens. It looks now like the Pre3 is going to be the same story - released 8 months after announcement, only to be leapfrogged by the next iPhone and other soon-to-be-released phones.

I've never heard anyone say that the Pre form is ugly - in fact, quite the opposite. Most people complain about the subpar hardware, lack of apps, and nebulous future of webOS.

I think there are about 5 people who MUST have a slab phone and they all seem to live on this board. Most people I know, by far, prefer physical keyboards (why BB was so popular), but are willing to forgo one for the better OS (why BB is losing market share).
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Maybe we can have a 3.6inch aluminum and plastic(to keep costs down) phone with a resolution of 544x960(same as PS Vita and 4 times the resolution of Zune HD), dual-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8260(for existing Qualcomm compatibility), thinner body, Gorilla Glass, 1650mAh battery, Bluetooth 3.0, 16 and 32 GB storage options with ability to expand storage with microSD cards.

This is my wish. I hope this happens.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    There is no webOS non-slider other than Pixi. Many of us have worn out small piles of sliders and never want another. I'll take candy-bar keyboard or all touch, please. Oh, wait that leaves only Symbian, iOS and Android. No webOS. I'll be sticking with my Nokia E72 until there is a non-slider webOS phone or Android finally wins me over.
    good. Someone at hp finnally figured out that he's not thinking behond. I would like a webos super phone now please. Not last years tech and def not a tiny phone. I wouldve fired him the day he held up the veer as the next great webos phone
    Oh yeah!!! oh man he was terrible. i said before... he has an outstanding technical resume... leader in a CEO level he was NOT. this should only be good for webos products going forward. for peats sake, his claim to fame is that he found the hard drive for the ipod!
    They definitely need a "slab" phone and other new devices (bigger screens, high res screens, dual cameras, etc.). I just moved from an iphone 3gs to Pre2. There are some really nice things in webos. I love the gestures and cards. It just feels great to flick stuff off the screen. When I go back to my idevices, it sucks not be able to use gestures and have to use the stupid button for everything. The love affair ends their. Screen is cramped compared to iphone. Apps are practically non-existent compared to IOS ecosystem. Basic stuff like facebook app is not as robust. Physical keyboard is not an upgrade. "Just Type" does not mean just type, it means: slide out key board, take eyes off screen, hunt and peck for little chicklett keys, hunt down which key has which number on it...and God help you if the room you are in too dark to see but not dark enough for key backlighting to kick in. In short webos is awesome. The hardware is 2 generations behind, and the app catalog is just weak. They have a lot of work to do to be competitive. While they are busy talking to Samsung about licensing, they should hire them to do their hardware. Webos on a Galaxy tab would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Also if it's not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    This probably has more to do with why the Pre didn't sell well. They took six months to release the Pre after the buzz had died down. Then they took too long to open the App Catalog to developers. The Pre- was half-baked, and it took them one year to release the Pre+, which should have been the phone released on Sprint originally. The Pre2 came more than a year later, after other phones had moved on to 4G, front facing cameras, and bigger screens. It looks now like the Pre3 is going to be the same story - released 8 months after announcement, only to be leapfrogged by the next iPhone and other soon-to-be-released phones.

I've never heard anyone say that the Pre form is ugly - in fact, quite the opposite. Most people complain about the subpar hardware, lack of apps, and nebulous future of webOS.

I think there are about 5 people who MUST have a slab phone and they all seem to live on this board. Most people I know, by far, prefer physical keyboards (why BB was so popular), but are willing to forgo one for the better OS (why BB is losing market share).

I agree with the first half of your post. Not so much the second half.

I guarantee that there are many many more than 5 people who would want a slab phone. In order to see that, you have to look at the general public. It's the general public that will drive a company, not the niche on a forum.

As I've said before, first impressions on GENERAL CONSUMERS is everything these days. EVERYTHING.

Right off the bat, the Pre, Pre+, Pre2.....they're chunky, screen's are smaller with low resolution, keyboards are somewhat small etc etc. Set next to a slab phone which has bigger scree, is thinner and possibly lighter, it's just more attractive to the average consumer.

I'm sorry but right now the market is pointing towards large slab phones, that are powerful, backed by large app store, thin, light, etc etc. That's what the market wants, HP/PALM continuously kept going after a niche market that just didn't have enough cash flow.

Yah, Maybe that market was sufficient for Palm, but HP is a much larger company with much higher anticipations.

What webOS needs is Options and Developers. To feed all those who want a keyboard, to feed all those who want slab, slab keyboard, etc. That's how Android does it to gain OS Market share.

HP, all you have now is webOS. There is nothing in the hardware front really, license it out or stop playing catch on the hardware front.

Look at the Galaxy S II. 3 MILLION! sold in under 50 days and that's with out a US/Canada launch which in it's own is a HUGE market. It's the same old OS that MILLIONS of phones have, but it's hardware is one of a kind. HARDWARE SELLS!

Same with Tab 10.1, they scraped a complete product that was under manufacturing, TOTALLY stopped it, likely at a lost of $ just to go back to the drawing board and come out with a thinner lighter 10.1 tab. These are the things you have to do be competitive in this market.

I've said it before, Idiots have been running Palm/HP and they have written a very good guide on how Drive a very capable mobile OS into the ground............for dummies.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur5461 View Post
    Maybe we can have a 3.6inch aluminum and plastic(to keep costs down) phone with a resolution of 544x960(same as PS Vita and 4 times the resolution of Zune HD), dual-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8260(for existing Qualcomm compatibility), thinner body, Gorilla Glass, 1650mAh battery, Bluetooth 3.0, 16 and 32 GB storage options with ability to expand storage with microSD cards.

This is my wish. I hope this happens.
    You can get basically everything but the little screen today in the Photon, EVO 3D, and Samsung Galaxy S II. The little size is a Steve Jobs thing so that would be pretty close to the 2010 iPhone 4 but the iPhone 5 is due in September.

A phone life cycle is now 7-10 months. Samsung has already detailed the Galaxy S III due this winter. So if HP is finalizing the next generation phone for 7-10 months from now, it needs to compete with the S III and the iPhone 5, not the old hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    You can get basically everything but the little screen today in the Photon, EVO 3D, and Samsung Galaxy S II. The little size is a Steve Jobs thing so that would be pretty close to the 2010 iPhone 4 but the iPhone 5 is due in September.

A phone life cycle is now 7-10 months. Samsung has already detailed the Galaxy S III due this winter. So if HP is finalizing the next generation phone for 7-10 months from now, it needs to compete with the S III and the iPhone 5, not the old hardware.
    Exactly. The mobile market is moving SO FAST that you have to constantly be making the next best thing. CONSTANTLY.

Which begs the question. What the hell has Palm/HP been doing? You have a phone no one really wants (Veer). You have a tab that's half polished if that, that even no one wants because it's such a putoff at first sight/feel. And then you have a device with 2 year old specs that's YET to be released. Looks like any of the other devices that no one wants.

Us idiots with no insider information or training or whatever can sit here and forsee all this but these idiots getting paid millions and millions of dollars can't see this?

What the hell was going through their mind when the team presented the Veer? or even the Touchpad?

Let's a make a SMALL device when market calls for larger devices.
    Let's make a heavy thick tablet when market calls for thin and light.

Talk about going opposite of market demand, no wonder your crap doesn't sell.

uggghh... sorry about ranting for last couple of posts, I'm so freaking frustrated, more so than probably HP and Palm and I don't get paid a dime for it. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Well said, H/P needs to hire and out innovate other OSes both hardware and software wise
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    This is great news for any webOS fans. Ruby is nice but he has absolutely no clue what users demand and what sells devices. He doesnt get that all of his new ideas aren't worth anything if they dont fix the simple things. No lag, get apps. Thats all they need. If there is no lag and they have the apps, people will come to webOS for the multitasking.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The moment HP is switching to a keyboardless form factor only, I'm leaving.
    Ok, but you are in the minority. Their job is to make money and stay in business, not to appease the handful of people who like the failed Pre. (I know it seems like more when you are on these forums, but going by the sales figures, it's a handful.) The best selling Sprint smartphone is a slab. The best selling phones on every carrier are slabs. Once HP have their webOS slab sorted out they can worry about keeping the old guard appeased with the Pre 4, Pre 5, Small Pre, Large Pre, zzzzzzz.

(for the record, I owned about 5 Pres...)
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 07/11/2011 at 09:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast