Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Building on the successful launch of HP webOS 3.0, HP (NYSE: HPQ) today announced it is accelerating the global expansion of webOS.

To support this next phase of growth, HP has appointed Stephen DeWitt as senior vice president and general manager of its webOS global business unit. Jon Rubinstein, the visionary behind webOS, will assume a product innovation role within the Personal Systems Group (PSG) at HP.

This announcement underscores HP’s strategy to provide a seamless, secure, context-aware experience across HP’s product portfolio, and to deliver innovation at unmatched scale.

“With the successful debut of our first wave of webOS-based products, we are drawing on our deep executive bench to position the right leaders in the right roles to accelerate the long-term growth of webOS,” said Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group, and member of the Executive Board, HP. “Stephen DeWitt has a proven ability to build and scale organizations into global, multibillion dollar operations, and I am confident that he will take webOS to the next level. At the same time, we continue to leverage the core strengths of Silicon Valley icon Jon Rubinstein to apply his considerable talents across the PSG portfolio.”

HP to Drive Innovation, Scale and Growth of webOS | Business Wire
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 07/11/2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Rubinstein was just put on special projects.
    Sounds like code for a demotion, honestly.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    This is actually big news.

Edit:

Rubinstein, in my opinion, was always an ideas kind of guy (he's an engineer). He'll do good in his new position. It's a better match for him within HP.

In turn, DeWitt sounds like a better match for the webOS Global Business Unit.

Things are going to get interesting.
    Last edited by RafRol; 07/11/2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    interesting stuff. Wonder what it'll mean for webos in the long run?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Indeed. But being pushed out in a low key way.
  7.    #7  
    Very much so. I'm excited to see where this change-up takes webOS.
    RafRol likes this.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Indeed. But being pushed out in a low key way.
    Probably out of respect for Jon?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Probably out of respect for Jon?
    Yup. That's how these things happen. They just invent a position to keep Rubinstein in until the terms of their agreement are up.

I wonder if his duties as "VP of Product Innovations" will be performed from his home office.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yup. That's how these things happen. They just invent a position to keep Rubinstein in until the terms of their agreement are up.

I wonder if his duties as "VP of Product Innovations" will be performed from his home office.
    Hence my comment about him being put on special projects.
    Weather it's a demotion or not, I'd say it's good news and a needed change. I'm glad they didn't get rid of Ruby, and instead placed him in a role where he'd benefit webOS the most. Ruby is great at product innovation; I think his work at Apple & his role in creating webOS shows that. However, looking at the past 2 years, Ruby has not done well with his execution of getting webOS marketshare where it needs to be. Hopefully Dewitt does a good job going forward with Palm GBU, now webOS GBU.
    I believe that when we're talking about "Global", is not important "who", but "when" the HP begun to REALLY sell to global market, because until now, I'm seeing the USA, Germany and UK as beta testers...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    A thought just occurred; In his new position, I can probably see Rubinstein focusing on making webOS work on HP's PCs (amongst other things).
    Last edited by RafRol; 07/11/2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Yeah, it's fine that they're putting Ruby in places where he'll perform better. I don't imagine the guy is 100% useless like some people here like to believe.
    Soorma likes this.
    I'm guessing Rubinstein negotiated a hell of a golden parachute for himself.
    good move HP no need to kick the can down the road...the veer announcement in feb. told me everything i need to know about where Ruby was taking webOS...
    I kind of have to wonder what the last straw was. Greenlighting the Veer, as dj ozone pointed out? Shipping a half-baked tablet when HP was counting on number one plus? The apparent inability to launch the Pre 3?
  18.    #18  
    The Official HP Palm Blog - Next steps for HP webOS

"As part of the logical evolution of its webOS business operations, HP today announced organizational changes designed both to accelerate the scale and growth of its existing webOS business as well as to expand and enhance other HP product lines.

To drive the growth of the webOS Global Business Unit, Stephen DeWitt has been named senior vice president and general manager. Under his leadership, HP’s Personal Systems Group became the market leader in both commercial and enterprise markets for notebook computers.

Jon Rubinstein today assumes a new role as senior vice president for product innovation for the Personal Systems Group. In this capacity, he will be able to leverage his experience with consumer products to propel innovation across a broad range of areas in the Personal Systems Group."
    Definitely a demotion. That's what large corporations do, they don't fire you outright (unless you did something very serious), but slap a vague title on you basically to alienate you of work, so you leave on your own.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Personally I don't care that much about Ruby anymore, he's served his purpose. I do hope that DeWitt can finally kick some **** and put everybody inside HP into a few gears higher to really get webOS going, not only in terms of better and more productlaunches but also indeed REAL global introduction. webOS need some execution power NOW, if not I guess it is doomed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast