Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mafu6
  • 1 Post By angiest
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Since Jon Rubinstein joined Amazon's Board, I've wondered why. The Amazon Board is unusually small (only five members) for such a large and influential company: CEO/Founder Jeff Bezos, two venture capital guys, an academic and Mr. Rubinstein. Why add Jon Rubinstein to this select group?

It's particularly interesting when you consider that Amazon is rumored to be entering the tablet market this Fall. Considering that Eric Schmidt left Apple's Board due to the increasing competitive issues between Apple and Google, why would Amazon elect an individual where those same competitive issues will likely arise sooner rather than later? Even if that individual can bring something to the table in regards to knowledge about Apple's business. It's not like HP (and I'm sure HP cleared the board membership) wants to share information with a likely competitor.

I'm wondering if there may be some connection between the HP (Touchpad and webOS) and Amazon tablet projects and that they may not be so competitive as complimentary in some way.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this topic?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Well, I think that'd make a pretty clear point the webOS is a player. I doubt there's that sort of connection, but one never knows.
    I am secretly hoping that Amazon will do a webos tablet along with and android one as a loud shout against Apple
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Because amazon will be making hardware for webOS
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Haha. The next Kindle will use e-ink color and be powered by webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    sorli likes this.
    The million dollar question is why is there an Amazon Cloud Music app for the ipad and android devices and not for the touchpad/pre(s)? Why would HP choose to go on their own and not use this relationship, allowing the touchpad to launch with such a lauded feature missing. Compouded by the fact that HP Play is so lacking in features (right now) it will be a while before we see something comparable from HP.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Interesting comment re: Amazon in the TIMN interview with JT. Some partnership appears likely with Amazon. The ? is the form it will take.
    Because Amazon is a large online corporation and in order to have that large online presence you need large servers. Something I'm sure HP is more than happy to sell them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    Because amazon will be making hardware for webOS
    I don't know...there's been a lot of talk about Amazon forking off a branch of Android and using it as the foundation for their own ecosystem consisting of their app store, their music store, their movie store, their book store, etc.

It would explain why they felt the need to set up their own Android app store, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know...there's been a lot of talk about Amazon forking off a branch of Android and using it as the foundation for their own ecosystem consisting of their app store, their music store, their movie store, their book store, etc.

It would explain why they felt the need to set up their own Android app store, really.
    Everyone and their mother is trying to figure out how to one up Apple and fork Android into a useful platform to compete. Problem is Android has shown only marginal impact in the tablet arena. They may lead them to the well, but the key is to become more like Apple and make the sheeple drink. Everyone I know whose looked at Android honestly, has jumped ship and moved back to IOS. IOS is truly the only competition when it comes to tablets and as soon as HP figures this out we can move on and fix webOS for the proper targets.

Either way, Amazon would be a great partner and speak loudly showing their tablet and eReader difference running webOS. I could see buying the next Amazon e-ink interface if it has webOS. For that matter, do people really want another Android tablet in a market saturated by half-way implementations?

I guess most Android people are like my wife who needed something less expensive like her rooted Nook Color wanting something else less expensive that simply provides access to ePub, Nook Bookstore, and Pyramid Solitaire. She has almost everything she needs (no bluetooth, etc) and can live without everything else till something better from HP, Amazon, or otherwise shows up.

Sadly, most people spent $80 to 150 bones buying those eInk Readers last year that are practically useless and only marginally capable of doing what they advertise. Cheaper does sell and move numbers, Nook Color is a perfect example, and I just hope HP and Amazon can make good tablets, eReaders, and smartphones and help turn the tide in a positive direction! Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 07/16/2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Right, but I think what Amazon has lined up is a lot different from, say, Toshiba or Motorola launching Honeycomb tablets. Amazon has all the right pieces to create their own platform. They could actually take an AOSP build, fork off their own branch, and give you an entirely unique Amazon tablet experience. You would never know it's Android other than it being binary compatible with Android apps (which Amazon happily sells via their own storefront and payment processor -- meaning they could actually undercut Google on their share of app sale revenue).