• 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 2 Post By mhunterjr
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

The HP TouchPad Needs Developers, Not Russell Brand
    The actor will help HP build awareness for the tablet, but what it really needs to succeed is a greater array of apps.

By Robert Dutt, PC World

The HP TouchPad Needs Developers, Not Russell Brand | PCWorld Business Center

July 09, 2011, 6:36 AM — If HP wants to succeed in making the TouchPad the go-to tablet for business, it needs more developers, and not necessarily a sales pitch from celebrity Russell Brand.

The English actor is serving as the spokesperson for HP's webOS tablet, starring in a series of commercials (cobbled together into this YouTube video) that offer a humorous look at some of the major features of the tablet. Brand walks users through summaries of the major functionality of the tablet with a balance of glowing marketing-speak and humor.

The problem here is the same as with RIM's approach to marketing the PlayBook. Consumers don't care about "true multitasking," "type to share," "synergy," or surfing with Flash. Businesses care even less about these things.

What they care about is what they can do with the device. And today, that's defined more so by the ecosystem of developers around the device than it is by the manufacturers of the device itself.

Android and iOS have largely usurped the smartphone space from RIM by focusing on making it easy for applications of all kinds--from Angry Birds to SAP. This transition largely powered the tsunami of the consumerization of IT where new technology products, particularly mobile devices, come into the workplace with the end user and are integrated into the existing IT infrastructure. That megatrend is one of the few shaping technology today, and has mitigated a good part of what could have been HP's advantage in the tablet space for business--the acceptance and buy-in of IT professionals.

Still, HP's got several advantages. It's got loyal customers at all sizes of business in a range of products, and a huge network of providers that work with small businesses to create full technology solutions. Those two factors alone could make the TouchPad a formidable business device.

In addition, it's got a webOS operating system that's well-received, full of function, and most importantly, should be easy for developers to build applications for, as it's based on Linux and Web-standard technologies.

But if HP, like RIM before it, wants to play Apple's game of selling glossy consumer products instead of making the tablet all about business and getting consumers that way, it's making a mistake.

I don't think the company's focus is entirely off the business opportunity; indeed, the executives who work with its partner base have been strongly promoting the TouchPad as a business product for months, and the company is one of the first to make its products readily available through the distributors from which its many resellers purchase products. CEO Léo Apotheker is constantly talking up the TouchPad as a business device, and hinting at a broad, cloud-based strategy that will tie together the tablet, applications, and enterprise IT into one neat package.

But as long as "there's an app for that" iPad and not the TouchPad, it doesn't matter who's promoting the device, or how many Flash Websites are all but useless on the iPad.

Between Apotheker's vision and its own outreach activities with mobile application developers, there are signs that HP recognizes this, but its competitors aren't sitting still either.

Bringing Brand on will surely give the TouchPad a boost in awareness in the general consumer community, but to capitalize on that awareness it has to have the applications that consumers-- and perhaps more importantly, businesses--want and need to run on the device.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Eh, I think the ad campaign is genius and of course people will care about the lack of apps but I think the apps are coming and the app argument will be around even when we have 50,000 apps in WebOS market for Touchpad.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Eh, I think the ad campaign is genius and of course people will care about the lack of apps but I think the apps are coming and the app argument will be around even when we have 50,000 apps in WebOS market for Touchpad.
    HI, I agree with you....in fact HP will be spending far more this year on ads than it did last year...in order to get the name webOS out there...doing so helps attract interest from app developers.

In addition, if the author followed this site or other articles, they would know that HP has said they would do what ever it takes to get apps written, such as developing their own, as in the Facebook app or paying to have apps ported to webOS or give seed money to app developers.

The press makes it seem that either HP is to dumb to realize they need more apps or that app writers aren't interested, both of which aren't true.

I posted the article not because I agree with it, but b/c it shows how much people in the industry don't know as much as they should. Yes he points out that HP has been reaching out to the industry but he doesn't say much of how and how much it's spending to do so.

He doesn't touch on the issue of the Facebook app and how well received it is and how created it and why!

He like so many of his brethren left out the fact that HP has done so with webOS in only 12 months!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Build the customer base and the developers will come. Unfortunately, it's the old horse and cart conundrum. How can you get more users without the apps? How can you attract more developers without users? HP would have done well to have started with a lower price point to grow the platform. Sure, Apple has bizillion apps, but most are crap. People want apps that help them do things in their lives. One hot app utilizing the tp's unique features could make a difference.
    threed61#WN likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by fellowman39047 View Post
    Build the customer base and the developers will come. Unfortunately, it's the old horse and cart conundrum. How can you get more users without the apps? How can you attract more developers without users? HP would have done well to have started with a lower price point to grow the platform. Sure, Apple has bizillion apps, but most are crap. People want apps that help them do things in their lives. One hot app utilizing the tp's unique features could make a difference.
    Hi,

How true...

I also think HP has poured not just the $1.2 billion for Palm but also great deal additional money into it....I'm sure they realize this issue and is working on it...as I stated above...in just a year they have made major progress...

Take care,

Jay
    just saw the russell brand robot butler commercial!...its awesome!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    just saw the russell brand robot butler commercial!...its awesome!
    Hi, I just saw it for the 1st time....I have a TIVO in my bedroom, (I got it the 1st day went on sale), so I never see commercials unless I have the TV on in the den or kitchen...I don't care for Russel Brand, but the commercials are cleaver anyway! Take care,

Jay
    sorli likes this.
    are they suggesting that hp cant film commercials and court developers at the same time? As if marketing and developer relations are competing for resources ... I dont understand the point of articles like this, especially when the point of marketing is to bring it the users that will attract developers.
    I kinda agree. HP certainly needs to court buyers and app developer at the same time. HP referenced having all the primary apps available at the TouchPad launch. I guess HP has the launch date scheduled for closer to the middle of July, but for me I already own a TouchPad and would love some prime-time developers supporting webOS.

HP doesn't really have much choice in the matter. They either advertise like heck and get more buyers of webOS devices or they buy/motivate developers to create the apps everyone wants.

Here's the problem, who decides what people want! Everyone has needs and a choosing 5 or 10 major apps will not please everyone. Sad truth, webOS will live or die based on apps like Netflix, Shazam, etc that I could care less about, but for everyone else this is what is important. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I dont understand the point of articles like this, especially when the point of marketing is to bring it the users that will attract developers.
    What's the point of most articles written by journalist...MONEY! Writers get paid to write and bring in readers, viewers, people interested in coming back. What's amazing is how effective PCWorld, CNET, and ZDNet are getting webOS users MAD Crazy about what they have to say.

As usual, everyone has an opinion and if we don't like what they have to say...we'll just have to stop supporting their editorial efforts. Sorli...
    The commercial is wonderful, what H/P needs is a killer product, something designed like Samsung tab with no random reboots and sound problems and a calendar that rocks. Pay netflix for an app and shut the others from speaking out.
    If this helped you hit thanks.