Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Will help or hurt webos
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    No. Hurt. Pointless.
    Not worth the trouble. HP has it's hands full right now with WebOS.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Purpose of buying RIM other than getting the rip-off webos OS off the market?
    I guess one thing we could look at is that the blackberry still has about 25% of the market share in phones....but this would require keeping the blackberry OS on the phones to keep the loyal blackberry users faithful....I don't see that working out well.
    btw that 25% reference is only from a small amount of knowledge...not sure if it is accurate.
    hp should of bought rim instead palm. phones are becoming miniature computers. there is no sense in telling the world u didn't buy a phone company to be in the phone business. rimm would of given hp qnx, intellectual property rights, and a substantial user base.

phones are the next computers. last i head, hp is a computer company
    Its time HP invents something instead of just acquiring companies. Why didn't they invent the tablet, the smartphone, or something like facebook. My gosh, "invent" is even part of their logo. HP, invent something already!
    Quote Originally Posted by gamcgrath View Post
    Its time HP invents something instead of just acquiring companies. Why didn't they invent the tablet, the smartphone, or something like facebook. My gosh, "invent" is even part of their logo. HP, invent something already!
    that's how i've long felt about Google. even Android was an acquisition.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    hp should of bought rim instead palm. phones are becoming miniature computers. there is no sense in telling the world u didn't buy a phone company to be in the phone business. rimm would of given hp qnx, intellectual property rights, and a substantial user base.

Other than the user base, which would require supporting a totally different OS, you still have not explained why HP should have bought RIM, who wasn't for sell and very healthy at the time, instead of Palm. WebOS is more suited for tablet computers than BBOS and QNX is just a copy of webOS.
    simply no.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

I think that quote is often misused. Even though I think Hurd was an ***** for saying it the way he did, he was correct. They didn't buy Palm solely for leveraging the phone market. HP is not JUST a computer company. They're also a printer company, a consulting company, a software company, a hosting company, a media company, a phone company, etc.,.

A purchase of RIM comes at a considerable cost over what they paid for Palm without commensurate benefit. HP would be in the position of having to support yet another OS and hardware platform that they would have little interest in going forward with.

The most valuable asset RIM has is its remaining customers. Any buyout, especially one that will likely kill the platform, will cause a mass exodus of those customers, further eroding the value for HP. Think about what happened with loyal Palm customers when Hurd made that quote, then magnify it by 50x as BB loyalists realize their favorite platform would be absorbed and replaced by webOS.
    junkee likes this.
  12.    #12  
    are y'all taking into account their securities and patients they hold. Better HP than Google.
    Why? at the moment the only thing RIM has which HP would be interested in at all is Docs to go.

Though, I want RIM to make a comeback, got to cheer for the Canadian company after all.
    HP should buy Google and Apple...then this would all be simple. lol jk.
    Rim is dying - I think the big issue will be how strong HP thinks their patent portfolio is - anything else that Rim has is probably a distraction. I think it likely that Palm has a strong enough patent portfolio to fight off Microsoft, let alone the Patents that HP has.

What HP should, and probably is, doing is watching very carefully for stars of RIM, many of whom will be looking to jump ship soon.
    Last edited by aharmsworth; 07/07/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Another thought, we just upgraded our office server to Small Business Server 2011. Interestingly, my Pre was on the network with no issues, just needed the certificate. However the guys in the office with Blackberries were struggling, finally got their email, only after having to reset all their internet accounts on the BB (not just the outlook account).

Don't think that bodes well for Blackberry - with webOS on the market with some good phones, enterprises are not going to be so loyal to Rim.

webOS just worked.

HP has the best option with webOS for its push into mobile, tablets, desktop and laptop computer, TV, or otherwise.

Honestly, what does RIM have tech wise? A dead OS now at version 6.0 that only RIM thinks is impressive or maybe QNX that has been around since the Amiga days, has great potential, but in need of a huge slimming to even come close to being usable on Mobile devices.

RIMs only value is in their customer base that is all thinking about jumping ship and moving elsewhere with RIMs technology falling short for over 2 years. Nokia had the same problem and dropped everything to move over to Windows Mobile 7. This was BTW very smart since Microsoft is paying them handsomely to make the transition and make it happen. Sorli...
    The only things worth a penny from RIM are their Industrigal design team and TAT. I don't think their patent portafolio is that big (to justify RIM's price). RIM's price is way to high for those three.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/08/2011 at 01:23 AM.
    The risk of taking on palm was relatively minimal at 1.5 billion... RIM is worth 14.8 billion and thats not a small chunk of change...so im saying no...
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    The only things worth a penny from RIM are their Industrigal design team and TAT. I don't think their patent portafolio is that big (to justice RIM's price). RIM's price is way to high for those two.
    I think rimms push patents and security patents are worth a pretty penny in the industry

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast