Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    I thought this was an interesting read:

Can HP turnaround the TouchPad? - gdgt

-Jon
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/12/2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo in title
    I wouldn't make it past the headline/title. Any article that presumes a device needs a "turnaround" less than a week after its soft launch in one market presumes way too much, and pretty well indicates the bias and tone of the author.
    Looks like the desire to write copy overtook the need to produce meaningful content for the article lacks substance or value. I'd be ashamed if that had my name on it.

hParsons is absolutely correct.

And if you post the above on that site - they remove it, so much for balanced opinion. Haha, can't see that site making into the bookmarks....
    Last edited by Cosmicblue; 07/07/2011 at 11:46 AM.
    I stopped reading after his second suggestion.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Here comes another CEO coach. The guy did not pay attention to everyone from Leo to Todd to Ruby. They all said "Its a marathon, not a sprint."

While it might not be a smash hit, it will surely capture No 2 position in three years. The OS is more polished than iOS and Android. It still is a good year or two ahead of the other OSes. iOS5 or iOS6 is not going to rock the world. The main issues are hardware and form factors.

My .02, improve the quality of materials and introduce more gadgets ( 7 inch, 5 inch, a wifi only 3.5 inch.... candybar, horizontal slider.) That would capture a decent market share to begin with , ultimately capturing mindshare.
    I've never heard of that website? Turnaround already? That's a bit premature but he does have a point in that the whole experience of the 2009 Pre is being repeated to some extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I've never heard of that website? Turnaround already? That's a bit premature but he does have a point in that the whole experience of the 2009 Pre is being repeated to some extent.
    That site was an experiment of a guy who used to be on Engadget.

Peter Rojas and Ryan Block introduce gdgt, gdgt weekly -- Engadget
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Founders of Engadget (and Gizmodo, I think), actually.
    Peter founded Engadget, Ryan used to be the editor-in-chief (Joshua Topolsky succeeded Ryan); Peter also founded Joystiq.com.
    Peter Rojas founded Engadget, Gizmodo, Joystiq, and a few other tech sites. He's also one of the Co-founders of gdgt.

Peter Rojas (peter) on about.me
    I don't think Peter Rojas ever saw or touched a TouchPad - this article was based on his view of how HP will fit in the tablet market based on a few reviews by other reviewers who barely looked at the TouchPad for a few minutes.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure the author has never used webOS or a TouchPad so I really don't understand why he's writing this article.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I don't think Peter Rojas ever saw or touched a TouchPad - this article was based on his view of how HP will fit in the tablet market based on a few reviews by other reviewers who barely looked at the TouchPad for a few minutes.
    This fact or just your assumption based on a review that doesn't align with your sentiments?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This fact or just your assumption based on a review that doesn't align with your sentiments?
    Read the article, he reference the other reviews and not his experiences using the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Read the article, he reference the other reviews and not his experiences using the platform.
    I agree with point 2-4.

I doubt there will be any difference even if he had hands on with touchpad. The article is not really about the product itself, it is more about market strategy.

Plus, there have been so many hands on reviews, its not like ppl like those anyway.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    It's amazing how people quickly dismiss reviews or articles written that aren't 100% favorable of the TouchPad. Peter Rojas is a respected person in the tech industry, and if you check his gdgt want list, he actually wants a Pre 3 & TouchPad : peter's profile - gdgt

But for what it's worth, we should stop bashing and erupting on people for presenting their point of view, or giving constructive criticism. Rubinstein has addressed the critical reviews of the TouchPad, and acknowledged some of it's short comings & his plans to improve upon it: In Case Ya Missed It: Jon Rubinstein Answers HP TouchPad Critics | News |webOSroundup
    ...If you’ve seen the recent TouchPad reviews you know that the industry understands HP’s vision and sees the same potential in webOS as we do. David Pogue from the New York Times says “there are signs of greatness here.” (I’ve included links to David’s review and others below.)

You’ve also seen that reviewers rightly note things we need to improve about the webOS experience. The good news is that most of the issues they cite are already known to us and will be addressed in short order by over-the-air software and app catalog updates. We still have work to do to make webOS the platform we know it can be, but remember…..it’s a marathon, not a sprint.
    With that said, lets start acting more like Senior VP of Palm's GBU Jon Rubinstein, and less like RIM Ceo Mike Lazaridis: RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis walks off of BBC interview | CrackBerry.com

We don't have to throw a tantrum, or dismiss & ignore proper criticism, or different opinions. Just eat it, and take it in stride. HP has a lot of work cut out in front of them to gain the respect & mindshare that webOS deserves. It'd be foolish to think otherwise, and pretend that webOS will rise to number one just because we think it should.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    It's amazing how people quickly dismiss reviews or articles written that aren't 100% favorable of the TouchPad. Peter Rojas is a respected person in the tech industry, and if you check his gdgt want list, he actually wants a Pre 3 & TouchPad : peter's profile - gdgt
    Wow, I didn't realize its engadget founder. So sure, we give him respect. But , but, but , here is my question, didn't he knew that "it is a marathon not a sprint". Didn't he knew that HP is taking its time to jump in the game. ? HP has money. I don't have time to do a search on web, but HP did bigger acquisitions than Palm. 1.2 billion is small amount for HP. If they can keep making webOS gadgets for another two years, they have a chance to be No 2, if not No 3.
    Maybe he thinks it's a sprint and not a marathon.
    I seriously can't understand how he could write an article about how the TouchPad is a sinking ship in need of turning around or saving when there are so many people happy with their devices and from all I can gather, they are selling well enough. That's the main gripe I think most people have with articles like his.

If the item doesn't sell a bazillion units the first day and have clowns tooting the theme song out of their rear ends while waiting in line to buy it, an item is an automatic failure in need of saving and on to the next device. No soup for you.

Sprint's second best selling phone of all time .... failure. Disaster.

A tablet where someone is watching a webcast, while checking email, and playing Angry Birds all at the same time .... failure. Hoist the white flag. Get out the resuscitator.

A non-troll article would be more like "What We Hope to See in HP's Next-gen Touchpads and Phones'.

I don't care how respected this guy is. In my heart of hearts this article is either coming from misinformation, is trolling, or is unethical pseudo-journalism. It would take a lot to have me personally put much creedence into anything this person would say in the future. Just because your a big name doesn't mean you should be respected. Case in point: Rupert Murdoch.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The author discusses this article in the latest Engadget Podcast:

Engadget Podcast 247 - 07.08.2011 -- Engadget

00:11:10 - Can HP turn around the TouchPad?
    thanks for the link,
    I haven't listened to it yet. It makes me wonder who the hell this guy is ? did he ran a fortune 500 company before ? There is a difference in telling folks what you know and keeping your mouth shut for the stuff you don't know.

The David Pogue's, Mossberg's and even Josh T's of the world doesn't go into the topic of "failed investment" . Because they know they are not investment bankers or not in the M&A business.

Peter Rojas knows gadgets, he should stick with gadgets not with HP's investments. Period.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast