Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Wait a sec, Its today, the posdcast.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Thanks for summary. These guys don't know enterprise. HP is trying to do both consumer (ads with celebrities) and enterprise (ads not as important. sales people and partners are). RIM's troubles is going to make people wary about Playbook. Other corporations want an alternative to Apple which wants all the control. Lenovo is a good player but if they run on android, then they have its weaknesses. MS hasn't had a good mobile OS in years and old roots in windows and internal conflicts (PC os vs mobile) may cripple them again. And enterprise doesn't care about lack of rear camera (hey, that's a security feature! less corporate espionage) and doesn't have a thin and shiny fetish as much as consumers. But HP needs to optimize and refine webOS 3.x asap and fill the core app situation. I do feel occasional lag and mystery pauses on my 24 hr old TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    But HP needs to optimize and refine webOS 3.x asap and fill the core app situation. I do feel occasional lag and mystery pauses on my 24 hr old TP.
    Exactly. webOS 2.1 and webOS 3.0 are way too slow and laggy. Every so often for mysterious reasons the TP simply stops responding to touch. Strangely enough, the smoothest and best lag free performance I have had so far with webOS, has been on an overclocked (uber kernel) Pre+ with webOS 1.4.5.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

While it might not be a smash hit, it will surely capture No 2 position in three years. The OS is more polished than iOS and Android. It still is a good year or two ahead of the other OSes. iOS5 or iOS6 is not going to rock the world. The main issues are hardware and form factors.
    In what respects is WebOS two years ahead of iOS? As for number 2 in the tablet market, that may not be such a great place to be.
    thats a pretty horrible article. The things he listed either hp is already doing a great job with or they are stupid ideas (like cutting the price)

hp is doing just fine where they are at. The only thing i agree with is that they should have released a better hardware. People buy hardware, unfortunately. Thats why ipad and galaxy tab are such good selers. When people walk into a store, they dint have a week to figure out how amazing the OS really is and how much it will help them run gheir lives.instead, they have about 10 minutes of play, and that is not nearly enough time to understand how genius webos is. People will look at it, say its not as thin or light and that it is too much plastic, and they will not buy.
    SmartFah and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Exactly. webOS 2.1 and webOS 3.0 are way too slow and laggy. Every so often for mysterious reasons the TP simply stops responding to touch. Strangely enough, the smoothest and best lag free performance I have had so far with webOS, has been on an overclocked (uber kernel) Pre+ with webOS 1.4.5.
    1.4.5 rocked. That is the best version of webos when it comes to stability. Im on 2.0.1 with verizon pre 2, and it is BY FAR the least stable. Resets on me about 5 times a day, probably more. But the gorgeousness that is webos when i am using it makes up for the resets.
    Some of you folks are WAY too optimistic, and some a blind fan-boys. There might be some correlation there between the two.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic but you can't ignore what's going on out there in the REAL world.

pshhh, yah this Peter guy doesn't know anything, I mean he's only been the tech industry for like...........ever. pshhhh.

Seriously guys? It's an Op-ed piece and the guy lays out what he thinks is. And yes, lot of his points are actually valid, unless.....again, you're a blind follower.

Price cuts in the first week or two? really?
    The device is not attracting customers, it's really that simple.

Ipad2 has a hard time meeting demand as it is.

Even the $399 Transformer was tough to get for a while.

Samsung SCRAPED the Tab 10.1 after seeing the ipad2 and redesigned the Tab10.1 COMPLETELY because they KNEW they couldn't compete on that front, and size/weight was IMPORTANT. I mean they completely just came out and said, whoops, no way, we're going back to the drawing board, our product isn't good enough. It takes ballz to do that, and they do it, and in return produce a thinner, lighter pad that is VERY well reviewed and selling well.

Sorry but open your eyes, take your head out of webOS's behind and look around.

Apple had a large consumer base on the mobile when it launched the Pad.
    Android had a large consumer base when it launched it's pad.

What the hell does HP/Palm have? Us handful of users on Precentral and other forums of the like? Or the bitter Sprint pre users who feel like they just got shafted with a 10ft............?
    Last edited by sdguy101; 07/11/2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    1.4.5 rocked. That is the best version of webos when it comes to stability. Im on 2.0.1 with verizon pre 2, and it is BY FAR the least stable. Resets on me about 5 times a day, probably more. But the gorgeousness that is webos when i am using it makes up for the resets.
    First, let me respond to this poster. I wonder how you blame 2.0.1. I have a pre 2 and I've never froze that I know of. I have been loading apps and patches, and those come with restarts. But they are faster than 1.4.5 restarts and that's maybe 3 a week. I also have 2.1.0 on my pre plus and I have had ~3 'freeze ups' in as many months.

As for this "peter" fellow. It's his website, so he's not going to stand for critics. I joined, and I like it for the most part. But I still don't agree with this article for the most part.

I hope to have a TP in my hands soon and I will write a review based on my impressions. I will try to be unbiased, but I may be a little slanted towards the TP. What I won't do is write about something without a point of reference, or write about what others are saying without checking out their stories first.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  9. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I have to agree with point 6 on the blog--focus on enterprise. I believe security and networking capabilities could give HP an opportunity to set themselves apart to corporate IT departments in the way "thin and sexy" sets other tablet apart in the consumer market.

I really want to buy the TouchPad--actually, I want to buy two of them. I am holding off for several specific reasons. I work in healthcare in a university setting. My primary use of the device involves data that is both HIPAA and FERPA (US Federal statutes governing patient and student privacy respectively) sensitive. I want (need) a device that can:
    1. employ boot-level encryption so that even if the device is stollen, the data is encrypted and unusable.
    2. Can access network shared storage that resides WITHIN the university firewall so that my data never has to leave the campus IT security measures. If I sent patient data outside our firewall to a "secure" cloud that somehow becomes compromised, I will cost the university thousands in federal fees and most likely loose my job.
    3. Have a robust Remote Desktop application--our patient care software runs in a remote desktop window. This allows the data to never actually leave the secure server. We have over 150 students each year in our clinics lugging around MacBooks to access their patient's digital charts. Several with IPads have managed to make our software run on a gimped RDP, but it is clunky at best. If HP made RDPs work well and securely, I think many of our students would be interested in the tablet form factor in a clinic setting. I think this same thing would play out in hospitals and other businesses across the world.
    4. Allow for document editing--I know this is on the way, but I am holding off until it happens. I could use Google Docs, but again, I would have to send documents outside the firewall to get them on the tablet.....
    5. Get ebooks running--and not just for fun reading. What if HP put a focus on textbooks? Universities/schools could load the year's texts onto the device. Couple this with a powerful notetaking solution and HP's multitasking and you have a powerful classroom tool.
    6. Powerful note taking tool--I need a tool to take notes in meeting, classroom, etc that can integrate with calendar and tasks.

I could go on, but I see a real void in this area of corporate/educational electronics. If HP could make the TouchPad fill this void, they could sell many, many units. As for now, I still wait, logging into PreCentral several times a day...hoping.....
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    In what respects is WebOS two years ahead of iOS? As for number 2 in the tablet market, that may not be such a great place to be.
    I am not going into details. The notification system is a good place to begin.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    thats a pretty horrible article. The things he listed either hp is already doing a great job with or they are stupid ideas (like cutting the price)

hp is doing just fine where they are at. The only thing i agree with is that they should have released a better hardware. People buy hardware, unfortunately. Thats why ipad and galaxy tab are such good selers. When people walk into a store, they dint have a week to figure out how amazing the OS really is and how much it will help them run gheir lives.instead, they have about 10 minutes of play, and that is not nearly enough time to understand how genius webos is. People will look at it, say its not as thin or light and that it is too much plastic, and they will not buy.
    + 1, that is a valid point. HP has to "wow" a non precentral member in 10 minutes. Thats the way to go.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Some of you folks are WAY too optimistic, and some a blind fan-boys. There might be some correlation there between the two.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic but you can't ignore what's going on out there in the REAL world.
    Agree.

pshhh, yah this Peter guy doesn't know anything, I mean he's only been the tech industry for like...........ever. pshhhh.
    Yup, like Engadget became popular after he left. However he never ran a company of the size or complexity of HP.

Seriously guys? It's an Op-ed piece and the guy lays out what he thinks is. And yes, lot of his points are actually valid, unless.....again, you're a blind follower.
    First, re are not blind followers, at least I am not. I know it crashes. I know the lag. However I prefer that to other platforms because of the UI and features.
    Second thing, I respect Peter. But humans err. He is making a mistake when he said about getting rid of the 1.2 billion acquisition. That's got to be a joke or a brain dead moment for him. Seriously, what do HP do without webOS ? Sell windows computers ? Which are on the decline and margins are so low. Sell servers ? ORACLE(with SUN)/IBM are killing it.
    Sell Calculators ? Any one ?
    Sell printers ? oh well , that's the only trick they have besides their other revenues from services ( acquisitions of EDS, Mercury Interactive).

They are dead if they cannot jump in the tablet market . They don't have to do webOS , they can do Android. But they have to be in the tablet race. Lately the consumers are interested in tablets not in notebooks. They choose webOS for reasons that they know. Its a marathon, not Sprint.

Price cuts in the first week or two? really?
    The device is not attracting customers, it's really that simple.
    I have a solution for that call it Apple Touchpad or iPad by HP.
    Shuffle going on in management at HP. Touchpad numbers must not be making management happy or something is not going right.

Jon Rubinstein being replaced by Stephen DeWitt to lead WebOS Global Business Unit!

Pretty breaking news. If you read some of my older posts, I said the Jon is not the right guy...never was, even for PALM. He's an Engineer, He should never have been promoted to CEO of Palm, nor given a job that has anything to do with product promotion.

HP's Stephen DeWitt to lead webOS global business unit, Jon Rubinstein stepping aside -- Engadget
    You can only fail upwards for so long, really.
    sinsin07 and barkerja like this.
    Shuffle going on in management at HP. Touchpad numbers must not be making management happy or something is not going right.

Jon Rubinstein being replaced by Stephen DeWitt to lead WebOS Global Business Unit!

Pretty breaking news. If you read some of my older posts, I said the Jon is not the right guy...never was, even for PALM. He's an Engineer, He should never have been promoted to CEO of Palm, nor given a job that has anything to do with product promotion.

HP's Stephen DeWitt to lead webOS global business unit, Jon Rubinstein stepping aside -- Engadget
    'Bout time. Problem one down, only one problem to go.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I guess the issue is lack of a marketing guy. Jon would be better of putting the engineering team and work with the product. He did excellent in getting the best of PALM and ex Apple engineers. Where he failed is marketing, and carrier relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Maybe he thinks it's a sprint and not a marathon.
    Actually the news looks like there will be no Sprint
    SmartFah likes this.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    speaking of which, the latest news shows how wrong the great Peter Rojas was. HP is in it for long haul. Peter might have not understood the meaning of long haul. By replacing Jon with their superstar leader they showed that they are serious about webOS.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Actually the news looks like there will be no Sprint
    its not Sprint , its ... Err its not coming to Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not going into details. The notification system is a good place to begin.
    Fixed in iOS5 which will ship in a couple of months.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast