Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By tholap
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Just b/c I posted this doesn't mean I agree with it. The article more or less says they think HP waited to long to roll the Pre3 out. Please see the link for the entire article.

Take care,

Jay

HP Pre 3 set for August 31 release: bad news for webOS

July 6, 2011 2:35 pm

by Nick Marshall Categories: Gadgets News

HP Pre 3 set for August 31 release: bad news for webOS | Electricpig

The big brother to the HP Veer, the Pre 3, is now slated for an August 31 release date according to Play.com. While this still falls into the “summer season” promised by HP, previous reports suggested we’d see the webOS flagship by mid-July. Without the Pre 3, touch to share with the HP TouchPad remains a pipe dream unless you own the Veer. Will a late August release of the HP Pre 3 spell disaster for webOS?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Its the truth.
    And i truly hope HP reads all the forums here and that article.
    my birthday *still want*
    An August 31st release date would be a "Summer" release in technical terms only. Memorial Day and Labor Day are the beginnings of Summer and Autumn in the hearts of the people. Of course, that would be like the "Spring" release for the Veer in mid-May.
    How many other tablets have touch to share? There are other features webOS has that the other tablets don't.
    Impossible. With the money, resources, and man power HP has to be a computer giant, there is no way that the Pre 3 gets released that late in the game... unless they are going to release with updated hardware. Or maybe they are taking their time to perfect it. Better to release it later but have a better product, than releasing it early and release more of a beta product. Or maybe it's the carriers at fault.

"Yeah! That's the ticket!" - Tommy Flanagan
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    An August 31st release date would be a "Summer" release in technical terms only. Memorial Day and Labor Day are the beginnings of Summer and Autumn in the hearts of the people. Of course, that would be like the "Spring" release for the Veer in mid-May.
    Meanwhile, everyone in Europe - and I MEAN everyone - would still call August 'summer' (and May 1 'Labor Day')

But I can see how not meeting entirely arbitrary season-naming standards as laid out by anonymous internet posters citing hot air about 'the hearts of the people' for proof is a huge fail for HP.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Got tired of waiting. My Pre was USB cracked to the screen (2nd phone that did it). I let my money do the talking.

Maybe in 2 years if webOS is offered on my carrier of choice I'll check em out.
    Yes. I have the original pre (with sprint) (have had about 5 of them due to the poor hardware) and have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the pre3. Only to it seems be strung along - always being pushed back. The end of August? Really? Well by then I may have jumped ship and have an IPhone... Or if not by then, then atleast heavily consider it since the next IPhone is due out in September... I have LOVED the WebOs, but it just seems whether it be Palm or HP they just can't get it together...
    as noted above, a coming incarnation of the iphone will have touchless sharind and I'm sure many other companies will jump onboard.

what hp has going is webos. I love it. But in the future, don't freakin announce technology (or tease it) and not deliver for 6 months. That's a lot of time in R and D time for competitors!
    It has to be US carriers, doesn't it? Isn't release imminent in the UK and Europe? (And reports I've read from people over there who've tried one say the hardware is mind-blowingly good, so it doesn't seem like hardware tweaks are part of the mix.)
    Better late than never.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Meanwhile, everyone in Europe - and I MEAN everyone - would still call August 'summer' (and May 1 'Labor Day')

But I can see how not meeting entirely arbitrary season-naming standards as laid out by anonymous internet posters citing hot air about 'the hearts of the people' for proof is a huge fail for HP.
    Everyone in the US, accept for those here at PreCentral waiting for the Pre 3, also think August--even the last day of August--is part of summer.
    they needed to get 3.0 finished before finalizing whatever goes on the Pre3.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    It's unlikely to be because of a hardware upgrade. That takes months to get through testing, certification etc.

This is most likely a carrier decision and therefore out of HPs hands. I'm sure HP would have preferred to sell devices since march if that were possible.

I don't understand why TTS is repeatedly claimed to be such an important killer feature.

It's a nice-to-have bonus feature.
    Call integration is a much bigger feature - and even that I don't consider a killer. My decision to get the Pre3 has nothing to do with either.

The Touchpads success depends on how much people want a very nice interface with multi-tasking and flash and can live with much smaller app selection for foreseeable future. To a large degree it's success will actually depend on salespeople. If they recommend it TouchPad will sell just fine. If they steer customers to IPad then TouchPad will be in big trouble.

Sure - Pre3 in late August is later than we'd like and the first day Sprint Pre- customers will mostly be gone by then.
    But most of the market out there doesn't even know yet that it is coming - so they are not waiting for it an therefore also not disappointed. And for webos to have any success, *most* customers have to be first time customers.

For the newcomers it only matters how well it compares to what is available in September.
    And most of the remaining hardcore fans will wait another 4 weeks. For webos users in Europe it will be just in time for 2 year renewals.

There is only 1 thing I'm concerned about and that could keep me from getting the Pre3 in July, August, September or October - battery life.
    My Pre- just about gets through my typical day. But there is 0 room for areas of bad reception and a long day or heavier than usual use.
    I want a second day on light to moderate use and 1 solid full long day on moderate use. Anything beyond that is extra bonus nice - but with the ease of charging with Touchstone 1 solid moderate+ day of use is enough.

If Pre3 delivers that, I'll get it any month this year. If it's the same as Pre- I'm not sure I stay with webos. I don't believe HP was stupid enough to make it less enduring than Pre- so I don't worry about that.

Most of the complaining about the *long* wait is just whining to my ears. Normal people don't exchange expensive smartphones every year anyway.
    A July/August release is less than 2 years for Europeans and just a little over 2 years for US customers. Not such a big deal for normal device cycle.
    I understand that there are enthusiasts here that like to upgrade every 6-12 months. That's fine. To each their own. But don't think you are in any way typical. A hardcore tech enthusiast geek is just that - not a representative sample of the market.

And claims that the Pre3 is outdated are plain silly.
    Sure HP could have included 1 GB of RAM (at extra cost - which we eventually have to pay for) - but that would only mean 512 MB of extra wasted RAM. The Pre+ and Pre2 with their 512 MB can have 50 apps open - *nobody* does that in practice.
    Storage beyond 16 GB - sure - a few people with large media libaries will actually notice. The vast majority will never fill that. And with plenty of free and cheap cloud storage available the problem is reduced anyway.

CPU - my overclocked (1 GHz) Pre- is mostly fast enough (heck it wasn't too bad on 500 MHz even). App startup could be faster - but that is probably more about storage access speed and software optimization than CPU speed.

Camera - I've said it many times before - 3-5 MP is about optimal. More MP does not equal better. You are crazy if you think you get better pictures with 8, 10 or 12 MP cameras. Any difference in quality is due to optics and quality of chip and software. More MP beyond 5 MP only gives you bigger jpgs - which take more space, are slower to save, take longer to transfer and most of all will *not* result in better photo printouts. Unless you want to make posters. There is simply a limit to the pixel density a printer can actually deal with and your eyes can notice.
    The autofocus will be the only relevant improvement over the Pre-. Most people won't even notice 5 MP over 3 MP most of the time.
    10 MP cameras are pure spec-bragging. It doesn't help. It can make it *worse*.

If somebody doesn't like the form factor or screen size or slide out keyboard - then it doesn't matter which month it arrives. To me the form factor looks optimal. Slightly larger than my trusty Pre- - but not too bulky.

Battery life, build quality and marketing will count way beyond whether it is sold in July or September or whether it can TTS with TP or not.
    Normal customers don't study spec sheets and don't understand most of it anyway. That stuff only concerns geeks like us here.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    fmarcanojr likes this.