Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Two years ago I was bragging to all my friends on IOS and Android how great webOS is. I was trying to get them to jump on the webOS bandwagon. A few switched..they stayed for less than a year due to lack of hardware.
    Today my Android & IOS friends mock at how the webos phones "hardware is outdated", "screen is too small", "no auto focus on the camera" and "webos is dying a slow death". CHART OF THE DAY: Android Is Blowing Everyone Away

They mock at how the veer is a joke, which I agree because this was HP's opportunity to make a first impression with the way they will handle webOS phones. My friends laugh at the price of the first touchpad coming out at the same price as the ipad2 and samsung galaxy. I would always hold my ground and tell them webOS is going to make a comeback... just wait till summer for the pre3. Now they laugh that the Pre3 is pushed back to Fall and the hardware is already outdated for its release time. I'm getting tired of this I'm tech savy, I even use Linux as my primary OS, but I just can't take being on old technology when there are other options out there for such a low price.
    Do things like this happen with your IOS/Android buddies?
    Is there anyone else in the sad state of "I think its time to move on" ((sigh))

... sad times to be a webos fan
    about the only thing webos has going for it, is a nice UI. life moves fast, time to move on
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Sounds like you need new friends if you're constantly getting mocked over your phone.

Have you tried explaining to them that they could buy a new android phone and it's already outdated by a new one a week later? Or maybe that they need to carry extra batteries around so they can actually use their phone all day? Or that they better like the version of android that comes on their phone because there's decent odds they may not get the next version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Sounds like you need new friends if you're constantly getting mocked over your phone.

Have you tried explaining to them that they could buy a new android phone and it's already outdated by a new one a week later? Or maybe that they need to carry extra batteries around so they can actually use their phone all day? Or that they better like the version of android that comes on their phone because there's decent odds they may not get the next version?
    You mean like my Pre+ that is limited to 1.4.5.1?
    gmlongo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbtengr_ak View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking. I got sold a bill of goods about software updates that never happened (Flash to be imminently released comes to mind.) Further, the Pre wasn’t known to have stellar battery life either. Every phone can be made fun of if you want to try hard enough. The question is, why are people trying so hard to make fun of a phone?

To the OP, the Droid 3 is looking to release within a week or so (possibly even as soon as tomorrow.) It is what I have my eye on for a solid phone with a keyboard. Might want to look into it to see if it fits your needs.

-Suntan
    dreadlion42 likes this.
    I am not willing to switch to Android or iOS at this time. When I got bored of my Sprint Pre- hardware, I followed instructions and made a Sprint Pre+. When Palm/HP said they would no longer support older phones, I installed 2.1 on my Sprint Pre+. The announcement for the Pre3 was taking too long so I bought a Pre2 and Sprintified it. I am happy with the Pre2. The hardware feels solid and the software is smooth.

WebOS Internals keeps the Pre-/+/2 feeling fresh when I start to think about a new phone. Too bad the only new phones I want have not been released by HP yet.

If you are tired of 1.4.5, install 2.1. If you are tired of your Pre-/+, get a Pre2. There are options before deciding to switch to a different OS.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbtengr_ak View Post
    True, but the reason for making that point isn't to defend the Pre as being problem free and up to date. It's to point out to the op's friends that they shouldn't be making fun of his Pre, because their phones most likely have their own problems. The fact that their brand new phones have some of the same problems as the 2+ year old Pre (ie. being limited to an old version) makes it that much more ridiculous for them to mock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    There are options before deciding to switch to a different OS.
    Quite frankly, those options seem rather extreme for most people.

I would hazard to guess that most people would find that they can use the other phone OSes just fine. WebOS is a great OS, but itís not worth buying multiple phones, pulling them apart, and then combining parts of them together, imo.

-Suntan
    There are more important things in life rather than get irritated by a bunch of *******, be it webOS, iOS, Android, whatever.

If your phone works for you, then it works for you. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It's your phone. Don't like it, replace it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The fact of the matter is that your device has WebOS which is the ultimate beat of 50% of the puzzle. The fact is that you don't use the camera every time you use your device. You use the OS no matter what, even when taking advantage of the hardware. The OS is more important to me and this is why I am getting a $50 Pixi while I wait for the Pre3.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  11.    #11  
    The sad truth is, our Palm phones running webos are not very usable without the help of pre-central and webos internals.
    I just removed the kernels, govnah and some patches on my pre minus. It's so laggy. even just typing to look someone up then hitting the chat button to text them takes up to 25 seconds.

Someone please get webos with gestures working for Sprint on the iphone4 or HTC EVO That right there would be an ideal webos phone.
    I hear ya. I go through the same thing at the office where if you take a sample of 10, you'd have 7 on iphone and 2 on android, and then there's me. The problem is it's just me and only me so if you take another sampling of 10, well I won't count.

I get the ridicule and tease all the time while I stubbornly cling to my pre-. Yeah, it's getting old. The waiting game (it's not even a game! not enjoyable!) and having zero hardware choices is really tiring.
    kenhiraihnl likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Quite frankly, those options seem rather extreme for most people.

I would hazard to guess that most people would find that they can use the other phone OSes just fine. WebOS is a great OS, but itís not worth buying multiple phones, pulling them apart, and then combining parts of them together, imo.

-Suntan
    It can be considered extreme to take apart a couple of phones but it is also very easy with instructions.

I am just showing the options out there are easily accessible in case the OP wants to stick with webOS and enjoy the wait for a new webOS phone. I am satisfied with my Sprint Pre2. If the OP wants a new phone/operating system, go for it.

I have been sitting on a phone upgrade for over 1 year now. The only desire to use it is to purchase whatever latest and greatest Android phone is out and sell it to buy a TouchPad. That will knock down the cost quite a bit.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    The grass isn't always greener. For me, the Sense UI on HTC Android phones is getting more and more bloated with every version (do you really need sound effects in the weather app?), Samsung is just intent on copying Apple with their Android UI, Motorola is Motorola. Fair enough, you can root these devices and install custom roms but that comes with it's own risks. Then we have Apple who want you to spend twice the price for hardware because it looks shiny. They make good stuff but a lot of it isn't as cutting edge as people make out. Windows Phone has potential but not worth getting until the next batch of phones which are future proofed for Mango are released. That leaves the Pre 3. It might be delayed but if you like the experience of webOS then it's worth the wait. As for hardware specs? Not that important really (as long as the software is optimized for the hardware build)

If you really like an ecosystem then don't bother yourself if other people don't. We're all different. I wouldn't try to convert folk either as you risk coming across like those Apple fan boys who pollute Engadget and the likes. I have a similar train of thought with Linux. I'm happy when friends ask me about it when they see it on PC and will always offer to help. I never push it on them though. Having choice is good.

Just my 2 pesos
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBatman View Post
    The grass isn't always greener. For me, the Sense UI on HTC Android phones is getting more and more bloated with every version (do you really need sound effects in the weather app?), Samsung is just intent on copying Apple with their Android UI, Motorola is Motorola. Fair enough, you can root these devices and install custom roms but that comes with it's own risks. Then we have Apple who want you to spend twice the price for hardware because it looks shiny. They make good stuff but a lot of it isn't as cutting edge as people make out. Windows Phone has potential but not worth getting until the next batch of phones which are future proofed for Mango are released. That leaves the Pre 3.
    I hear what you’re saying. A lot of the stuff being done by the android makers, with their custom UIs, is all about flashy animations and whatnot (animated 3D layers while you spin through home screens and the like seem pointless to me too.) But for a lot of Sprint users there is always the Nexus S 4G which eschews all that extra bloat.

I just have a hard time understanding people being so determined and passionate about an operating system. Same with the whole MS/Apple/linux deal. I mean, when WebOS first came out I could see real, compelling advantages that it could do that the others couldn’t, but now, not so much. It is still my preferred, but the other ones can do pretty much everything too now (in truth I don’t know about iphone because I’ve never really played with one.)

I don’t buy a device (computer or tablet or phone) just to play with the OS. I buy it to do all the stuff the OS enables. Now-a-days, all the OSes enable pretty much the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBatman View Post
    It might be delayed but if you like the experience of webOS then it's worth the wait.

Is it though? At least for myself, right now the preference for WebOS doesn’t seem to be compelling enough to deal with a completely busted Google Maps that only offers a fraction of what it can do on an android phone. Or the hassle of having to email yourself a link everytime you read an article on your phone and want to watch the flash based video they are referring to. Or everytime I try and type something out on my keyboard but 90% of the time the “L” desn’t register a keypress, etc. etc.

I’m not saying this is how everyone should feel, but honestly a person should ask themselves if the hassles you are dealing with now, and possibly for the next 3 or 4 months, are worth it. If I were on Sprint I would have left already. VZW is just now coming out with some phones that look compelling (to me) and I likely won’t be waiting it out for the pre3 as it’s still no ware in sight. I could have already upgraded and have been a 1/3 of the way through my next 2 yr contract by now.

Anyway, feel free to pass this off as one more hater hating on WebOS, but it’s not. I'd love to be browsing amongst a number of choices of WebOS phones at the VZW counter in 2 yrs time. The truly sad thing is that a lot of us (maybe just me) were thinking that the Pre3 would be out by now and HP would be releasing two or three new, unannounced phones by the Sept timeframe. It feels like the WebOS environment is getting delayed, not just the Pre3.

-Suntan
    One can only wait so long!

I say take a look at the HTC Evo 3D. I hear NOTHING but great things about HTC phones. They update the OS pretty quickly and HTC just simply makes GREAT hardware! Little bit of both worlds. Like me I am sure you will miss WebOS at first. Then again I can always come back when or if HP gets their crap together. I hope they do becuase WebOS is just that great! I hope to see good things from them soon. When I can get another phone in a few years! Only time will tell
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    It's all good. Everyone has their preferences. WebOS works for what I need it to do. Others like iOS and others like Android. Pick what works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post

You're funny!!!

My EVO started out with Eclair, got updated to Froyo, and now is enjoying Gingerbread. My battery life is way better than it ever was with my Pre-.

Perhaps you read this thread title and decided to change it to "If you can't beat them, drag out old arguments that never held water in the first place to try to put them down".
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    So sad and true. I just jumped to a Thunderbolt. A Pre 2 was right next to it in the store. The Pre 2 was giving the "too many cards" error when none were open. I rebooted it so maybe it will work for the next person. It was back in the farthest corner from the entrance. I was sad to look at what could have been but is not. I am not saying Android or the TB are without fault nor that WebOs had no chance.

I found out right away that WebOs handles multi tasking light years better than Froyo. The VZ salesman loaded a task killer for me as he activated my phone. Having to kill tasks constantly makes it hard to run background services (traffic meter). I do miss cards a lot. But I also like having the necessity for cards aka apps I actually need. The Pre hardware is nowhere near on target. That being said I think licensing WebOs is a brilliant idea. Implementing WebOs, with updates, on cutting edge hardware could be very interesting. Froyo feels like Windows did, especially years ago - bloatware hacked together to ensure compatibility with an insane range of hardware/software, and much of that software is buggy. Unfortunately those are good problems to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    The VZ salesman loaded a task killer for me as he activated my phone. Having to kill tasks constantly makes it hard to run background services (traffic meter).
    Remove it immediately!! Task killers ARE NOT NECESSARY and do much more harm than good. If I were you, I would make it a point of calling the VZ salesman, and his/her manager, and inform them that they are doing their customers a dis-service by installing task killers on Froyo and above phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast