• 1 Post By LCGuy
  1.    #1  
    Hi all.

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad – Can HP Pull It Off?
    July 3, 2011 | Filed underBusiness | Posted by Judy Standifer

HP TouchPad – Can HP Pull It Off? - Secaucus New Jersey News | Secaucus New Jersey News

HP Releases TouchPad To Contend With Other Companies

HP’s expensive investment in producing a brand new operating system might prove worth the effort as the company unveils the new HP TouchPad. It is the first tablet that will use webOS.

Introducing The New HP TouchPad

The new operating system was obtained by HP a year ago, the same time Palm came in. It initially put $1.2 billion into Palm, as well as an additional investment in the past year in order to get the TouchPad and webOS phone moving. It was a daring move to present its new product to the market with the level of competition these days. One could see this as a definite decision for HP to face the growing competitors in the market today. Is HP trying to level off with Apple’s operating system? If so, the product has to stand out among other OEMs , and even then, there is the difficult question of whether consumers are even willing to try something unfamiliar. HP needs to protect itself by salvaging what will be left once PCs become obsolete in the market, a prediction only two years from now. HP is the largest producer of PCs in the world.

Forbes Gives HP TouchPad A Positive Review

Forbes’ review of HP’s TouchPad is promising. The TouchPad’s hardware is strong – HP made sure not to cut expenses that might affect its quality. The product seems powerful, well-proportioned, and easy to hold, very much like the first iPad. Its webOS operating system has a more improved performance than that of Honeycomb. There is no trouble finding quality applications on the TouchPad – however, developers can’t be certain if customers will actually choose the product. It seems like HP is dragging: in a recent survey given by Forrester Research, when it comes to tablets, only 7 percent of consumers are considering purchasing a TouchPad. Meanwhile, more than 50% would go after the Apple iPad.

HP TouchPad’s Success May Influence Entire Company’s Fate

More uncertain success is at the forefront of HP’s marketing scheme. The range of its webOS licensing still needs to be seen solid – only then it will gain interest among consumers and advance its status from the rest of the pack. However, Windows 8 tablets are still not out on the market. That may be released only to blow the TouchPad out of the water. The TouchPad has this year to shine; in the year 2012, the Windows 8 tablet will be released, and by then it may be too late. If HP is going to advance its status and join other companies in stepping toward a post-PC era, there is no better time than now.

In this article, readers learned that HP recently launched its newest product, the HP TouchPad. Through the TouchPad, HP is trying to level off with Apple’s operating system, stand out among the other OEMs in the market, and protect its own from the cannibalization of PCs in the coming years. TouchPad has a good product review, and HP has made sure that the quality is good as it gets. However, how will it take to the market? Are there consumers who are willing to test the waters? Those are the questions the company is waiting to have answered.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Marathon
    hparsons and 65fastback like this.
    It's Microsoft VS RIMM VS HP and only one can win. Fight!

Can HP pull it off? Yes they can. So can microsoft and RIMM. I don't know who has the best chance.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's Microsoft VS RIMM VS HP and only one can win. Fight!

Can HP pull it off? Yes they can. So can microsoft and RIMM. I don't know who has the best chance.
    Let's just keep in mind HP has the strength in numbers to win. They are the largest technology company by revenue, maybe not for long but still...
    I don't think there has to be only one winner either. We're used to the wintel stronghold but even that is faltering while other os's are becoming more widespread. I figure that some will always be more popular than others, but the good ones will find their niches.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Let's just keep in mind HP has the strength in numbers to win. They are the largest technology company by revenue, maybe not for long but still...
    I agree, but only if HP is willing to fix webOS problems on the TouchPad and address the major negatives found by Engadget, ThisIsMyNext, Washington Post, etc!

The press generates interest in their readers and people read content referenced above and other more public options like the New York Times, CNN, and CNET. Seems simple enough, fix major issues, get more app development (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Adobe Photoshop for tablets, etc), and the rest takes care of itself. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Your posts are disingenuous considering your status as a paid HP representative. If you're going to continue to vehemently support their products and service, perhaps it would be nice of you to mention your employment status?

As for the topic at hand, HP can indeed gain ground but only if they make a conscious effort to fix the problems reported by reviewers. As the article said, the TouchPad has 7% of respondents indicating an interest in the product versus 50% in the iPad. This doesn't mean the TouchPad can't capture more marketshare but it does mean that HP needs to push hard on the advertising front and the software/hardware front.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Your posts are disingenuous considering your status as a paid HP representative. If you're going to continue to vehemently support their products and service, perhaps it would be nice of you to mention your employment status?

As for the topic at hand, HP can indeed gain ground but only if they make a conscious effort to fix the problems reported by reviewers. As the article said, the TouchPad has 7% of respondents indicating an interest in the product versus 50% in the iPad. This doesn't mean the TouchPad can't capture more marketshare but it does mean that HP needs to push hard on the advertising front and the software/hardware front.
    I don't buy that he's actually a HP employee. His posts aren't consistant with that statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I don't buy that he's actually a HP employee. His posts aren't consistant with that statement.
    You may indeed be right. It's entirely possible that he's merely pretending to be one for the attention. But if he is an actual employee, then it would be of good courtesy for him to indicate that in his signature so that his posts can be read in good faith.

Clearly he mentioned his employment status previously or you wouldn't know about it. He's said it before and there's no reason to expect him to post a disclaimer every time he posts. If that were the case, I'd expect fair treatment for the forum trolls - something that says, "I really hate webOS and hope HP fails. However please disregard all of my naysaying posts - they are disingenuous because, after all I am a troll."

That said, are you trying to say that because he is an HP employee, that he can't believe in the Touchpad, that he can't support their products and services? That's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    Clearly he mentioned his employment status previously or you wouldn't know about it. He's said it before and there's no reason to expect him to post a disclaimer every time he posts. If that were the case, I'd expect fair treatment for the forum trolls - something that says, "I really hate webOS and hope HP fails. However please disregard all of my naysaying posts - they are disingenuous because, after all I am a troll."

That said, are you trying to say that because he is an HP employee, that he can't believe in the Touchpad, that he can't support their products and services? That's ridiculous.
    I am saying that because he is an HP employee, his posts are not made in good faith when recommending their products, particularly due to the fact that he is a sales representative. He is paid to sell HP products to customers. Would you wish to receive all of your recommendations from paid representatives, especially when they masquerade as a normal user?

As for knowing his employment status, it was mentioned in a single topic and that was to defend him against allegations of stupidity when he entered his credentials into a public TouchPad. He later claimed that he was actually an HP representative and using a demo unit that was unavailable to the public until after the 6 hour period the credentials would be valid.

And finally, on your last post, I don't hate webOS. I own a Palm Pre as my only phone and after many disappointments with that and the current direction that HP is heading in, I find that it would be lunacy to continue offering my support. I was excited back in February when they announced the Pre3 and TouchPad. Now that reality has settled in, I must be more critical to avoid being burned once again. I want to extend the same courtesy to others, presenting both the positives and negatives.
    I am saying that because he is an HP employee, his posts are not made in good faith when recommending their products, particularly due to the fact that he is a sales representative. He is paid to sell HP products to customers. Would you wish to receive all of your recommendations from paid representatives, especially when they masquerade as a normal user?

As for knowing his employment status, it was mentioned in a single topic and that was to defend him against allegations of stupidity when he entered his credentials into a public TouchPad. He later claimed that he was actually an HP representative and using a demo unit that was unavailable to the public until after the 6 hour period the credentials would be valid.

And finally, on your last post, I don't hate webOS. I own a Palm Pre as my only phone and after many disappointments with that and the current direction that HP is heading in, I find that it would be lunacy to continue offering my support. I was excited back in February when they announced the Pre3 and TouchPad. Now that reality has settled in, I must be more critical to avoid being burned once again. I want to extend the same courtesy to others, presenting both the positives and negatives.
    Fair enough. However, I wasn't labeling you a troll so no need to defend your position (in reality I find myself in much the same situation as you). I was merely using the troll example as way to show how silly (IMO) it is to suddenly discount his opinion as fabricated and not made "in good faith" simply because of his employer. Unless we somehow know that ALL HP employees secretly dislike HP products and the only reason they'd give a good review is because it's their job.

In all honesty though I think HP can pull this off. Like it or not, they probably don't need us early Pre adopters as much as we'd like to think they do. The TouchPad and webOS marketing campaign will live our die on it's own with or without us. Market share for webOS is so low now anyway that it is almost like starting over. My gut tells me they are on the right track though. I guess we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    Fair enough. However, I wasn't labeling you a troll so no need to defend your position (in reality I find myself in much the same situation as you). I was merely using the troll example as way to show how silly (IMO) it is to suddenly discount his opinion as fabricated and not made "in good faith" simply because of his employer. Unless we somehow know that ALL HP employees secretly dislike HP products and the only reason they'd give a good review is because it's their job.

In all honesty though I think HP can pull this off. Like it or not, they probably don't need us early Pre adopters as much as we'd like to think they do. The TouchPad and webOS marketing campaign will live our die on it's own with or without us. Market share for webOS is so low now anyway that it is almost like starting over. My gut tells me they are on the right track though. I guess we'll see.
    Sorry for the late response. It's not that since he's an HP employee he could not possibly enjoy a webOS product for what it is. It's that when he recommends the products, he serves to benefit from it. If he was to at least indicate this, then it would be fine. But has no one noticed that the person posting most heavily about the advertising for the TouchPad is him? Coincidentally, who gains from it?

As for the trolling part, the moderators here already put me on posting approval once even though I've never trolled. It isn't far-fetched to think that your accusation is serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Marathon
    It's not a marathon.
    HP must win many short sprints over a long period time.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    It's not a marathon.
    HP must win many short sprints over a long period time.
    Rovernole is more correct regarding this being a "marathon", IMO.

Your statment that they "must win many short sprints over time" implies that they must win one in order to get the right to compete in the next one, in order to win in the end.

My take is that this is a long term goal for them, with many short term milestones to achieve.. they may fall short on some, and exceed thier goals on others... but, in the end, the goal is to be able to continue competing along the way and have endurance to keep on going, even though the competition may be ahead at times during the race:

"it aint over till its over" - Yogi Berra - smart man...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

RoverNole likes this.