Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By milominderbinde
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Kurzweil
  • 1 Post By slbailey1
  • 1 Post By mattbrad2
  1.    #1  
    Phone Dog asks:
    Which manufacturer should make a webOS phone for HP?

The answer is that it is Foxconn who makes the Veer and Pre 3. And Inventec makes the TouchPad.

Having another company make an HP/Palm phone is what they already do. This is no leap at all. It just means HP gets a ~5% licensing fee instead of a 30% distribution fee.

Motorola can't make phones for HP because Motorola has no phone manufacturing plants either.

HTC, Samsung, and LG and others make phones and could make a phone for HP/Palm. Asus, Compal, HTC, and Inventec are obvious choices because they made past HP/Palm phones:

Pre, Pre Plus made by Foxconn
    Pre 3, Veer, TouchPad by Foxconn
    Pixi made by Compal
    Treo 500 made by Asus
    Treo 600 made by HTC
    Treo 650 made by HTC
    Treo 680 made by Inventec
    Palm Centro made by Inventec
    Treo Pro made by HTC

Imagine a Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 2, Infuse, or HTC EVO 3D with webOS. All these companies can turn around new products on a dime. Imagine a webOS version of the Galaxy S III this Christmas.

I hope HP thinks beyond just using Foxconn to make their phones.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/02/2011 at 11:28 AM.
    RoverNole likes this.
    HTC all the way! they make beautiful hardware!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Samsung. Once you get used to amoled, you don't want any other screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    HTC all the way! they make beautiful hardware!
    I agree! Htc phones feel solid and hold up to everyday wear and tear a lot better than the hardware that palm put out. Webos is definitely the best software, now we just need to put that hardware around it.
    Seems to me until they fix some of the bugs in the OS, they'd be better off not worrying about licensing and dealing with more unique hardware.
    ljbad4life likes this.
    every os has bugs in it. That's something that will always be. If hp wants to compete in smartphone market then they NEED to put webos on better hardware to catch the eyes of more consumers. Once more people get to play with webos, the more chance hp has of gaining more of market share.
    Treo 600/650/Pro were manufactured by HTC? I guess that's the answer as to who should manufacture future HP phones. Pre/Plus/2 by Foxconn (the suicide factory) gives another clue.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I think HTC is an interesting answer, but they want Sense on everything. Sony Ericsson is also a good choice. Samsung would be a nice choice as well, and could make the complete phone almost all internally. Personally, I hope HP can make solid hardware much like the Envy laptop line for the next generation phones and tablets.
    I say Samsung, and keep tabslets w HP, let them make fridges and tv's also
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I think that HP would have to offer "some type" of exclusivity to any other manufacturer to eliminate the need/desire to "skin" the OS.

An example would be licensing with one and only one manufacturer to be the exclusive producer of Webos slab phones and agreeing that HP will not produce any competing slab devices. This way, there will be no need for software differentiation.
    Motorola makes the best hardware, hands down. HTC gets all the popularity because of all the features they put in their phones, but looking just at the quality of the hardware, I'd have to say Moto wins. When Moto had the indestructible S60 out, HTC was putting out colossal pieces of crap like the HTC Harrier and Apache.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Wha? Motorola's Q was arguably the first "sexy" smartphone with mass consumer appeal. People called it the RAZR of smartphones. Sure their Nextel phones were big, but they were built for people that abused their phones. Their current crop of phones are definitely not "big." Take a look at the Motorola Charm. Would love that on Sprint.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    HTC! Good hardware & Bootloader free rules!!

Samsung? Good inside but fragile outside! Superamoled is good, but is not all!!

LG and Asus? Nothing special...

MotoBomb? Never, never, never...!!!

Compal made Pixi? Other never, never, never...

Inventec? With locked bootloaders in 680 and Centro? No, thanks...

Being honest, the Treo 650 was a "milestone" in smartphone space: bootloader open, hard as a rock, excellent cell signal...

I don't like the HTC devices, but I like the HTC's hardware quality...

Best Regards....
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I say Samsung, and keep tabslets w HP, let them make fridges and tv's also
    I believe that this is the route HP will go. License WebOS for phones, but keep tablets in-house. This setup fits very well with the type of company HP is. Also remember the comment "We did not buy Palm to get into the phone business".
    threed61#WN likes this.
    I think its becoming clear that HP has no interest in continuing to make phones. They are burning through what they purchased from Palm and will now license the OS to Samsung or some other suitor to continue putting webOS on smartphones. HP will stick with tablet hardware. They have made it clear they don't want to license to anyone who will step on HP's toes so its safe to assume HP has no clear intentions of continuing to develop phones. I have never seen a product (Pre3) fail so miserably in its production. It's the Duke Nukem of phones. HP doesn't even care to spin damage control over it because they have no future interests in supporting this form factor. None of their VP's will speak any of this since webOS is walking on egg shells right now. They are going to need more than a tablet, however and the Pre3 isn't going to be the savior either. They need to license this thing out and in a hurry.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Phone Dog asks:
    Which manufacturer should make a webOS phone for HP?

The answer is that it is Foxconn who makes the Veer and Pre 3. And Inventec makes the TouchPad.

Having another company make an HP/Palm phone is what they already do. This is no leap at all. It just means HP gets a ~5% licensing fee instead of a 30% distribution fee.

Motorola can't make phones for HP because Motorola has no phone manufacturing plants either.

HTC, Samsung, and LG and others make phones and could make a phone for HP/Palm. Asus, Compal, HTC, and Inventec are obvious choices because they made past HP/Palm phones:

Pre, Pre Plus made by Foxconn
    Pre 3, Veer, TouchPad by Foxconn
    Pixi made by Compal
    Treo 500 made by Asus
    Treo 600 made by HTC
    Treo 650 made by HTC
    Treo 680 made by Inventec
    Palm Centro made by Inventec
    Treo Pro made by HTC

Imagine a Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 2, Infuse, or HTC EVO 3D with webOS. All these companies can turn around new products on a dime. Imagine a webOS version of the Galaxy S III this Christmas.

I hope HP thinks beyond just using Foxconn to make their phones.
    Inventec and Foxconn are factories. They make phones for ALL of the major brands, including Apple, Motorola, HP, Dell, MS, Samsung and HTC. They do not design phones. They build what people tell them to build. You are confusing designers with the factories that build what the designers design. I suspect Compal is also nothing more than a factory.
    Last edited by Syndil; 07/21/2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Won't happen, but my vote goes to Nokia. Their low-end phones are pretty bad, but the E Series phones are built like tanks.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here