1.    #1  
    There's an interesting read over at http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupda...895875,00.html discussing what impact the Tungsten will have on Handspring. Also of note are the author's thoughts on what Handspring's approachs to Java and Microsoft should be.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    The Tungsten needs an earplug to be used as a phone, like the new blackberry. The Treo is a true phone/pda. unless palm gets a lot smarter they have a dead dodo on their hands
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    I know "tungsten" is supposed to be a very tough metal, but it's a terrible name. It sounds outdated. "Hold on, my tungsten is ringing...where's that damn earpiece."
    I know "tungsten" is supposed to be a very tough metal, but it's a terrible name. It sounds outdated. "Hold on, my tungsten is ringing...where's that damn earpiece."
    When the T-W rings, pull out the Bluetooth Headset (less then 10g), press the button, hang it on your ear, and start talking, leaving the T-W in your pocket.
    Last edited by LongKesh; 10/29/2002 at 11:14 PM.
    Or alternatively, carry around a PDA and a small mobile phone separately. Most of the ikkle Nokias these days are no bigger than a Bluetooth headset.

Once you have to cart two gismos around to make use of the phone part of the Tungsten, you might as well cart two devices -- ie. a GOOD phone and a GOOD PDA.

Either Palm need to switch policy and fit an earpiece and speaker to the W, or they WILL have a dead duck on their hands.
    For whatever reason, Palm is missing the mark - again. You'd think they'd learn after the 7 and the 705 both flopped. Still, they've released another communicator wannabe. It can be used as a phone, but doesn't have the flip open and talk convenience of a Treo.

No backlight? That means you truly can't use it where you are at the moment. You have to find light to read an SMS or even to really utilize the phone effectively. Palm has built in some incredible inconvience factors. That means users will still have to carry a phone. And if you have to carry two devices, a Treo 90 with a bluetooth card seems a better option.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by LongKesh

When the T-W rings, pull out the Bluetooth Headset (less then 10g), press the button, hang it on your ear, and start talking, leaving the T-W in your pocket.
    Unfortunately, everything I've seen on the T-W says it won't have Bluetooth built-in, so you'll need the card for that. It's the right idea, though.
    Handspring has the answer! The price at Amazon just dropped to 250
    1) the Tungsted|W is a color device, therefore it HAS a backlight. The only new device lacking a backlight is the Zire.

2) The Tungsten|W does not have built-in Bluetooth. To use a Bluetooth headset, you'd need to occupy the single SD slot on the T|W with a Bluetooth card.

3) an accessory maker is already in the process of designing a flip-phone accessory for the T|W. It will likely attach at the top of the T|W and have a speaker and mic that somehow plugs into the T|W's headset jack, thus making the T|W into a flip-phone like the Treo.

Palm claims they didn't put in a speaker/mic like the Treo or other smartphones because the T|W is a *data centric* device. They fully expect mobile professionals to have a separate phone, and just use the T|W for mobile data. The phone functions are basically a side-effect of the GPRS capability.

Do I think the T|W will hurt the Treo market? Eh. a little, maybe. But only because it has a high-res screen and an SD slot, both of which the Treo really needs. Of course it will be going on a year since the announcment of the Treo 180 and 270 very soon now. It's getting to be about time for a new Treo to be announced. Like, one with a frickin' SD slot and a REFLECTIVE TFT screen, high res preferably.

Of course, for a PalmOS Smartphone to be TRULY effective, it needs to be OS5. Not for the overall speed increase with an ARM processor, but for the better Net Library. According to the SnapperMail dev team, the real bottleneck in OS4.1 (and lower) devices is the NetLib and how inefficient it is. I bet that thing hasn't been updated since it was written. The OS5 NetLib is apparently MUCH faster and more efficient, probably because it was rewritten to be ARM native since it's such a core part of the OS. Anyone with a Tungsten|T can attest to the efficiency of anything web-related on that device, even when connecting at 9600 with a CSD call on a GSM phone.

No, I don't have a Tungsten|T, but I sure which I did.
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by LongKesh

More like, fumble around in your bag for the headset, pull out your spellchecker card from the SD slot, put in your Bluetooth card... jeeez, by the time you get it together, your caller has hung up. Oh well, you can always retrieve the message they left from your voicemail

It's a dead duck, if you ask me...
    Greg,
    interesting about the flip phone add on...i'll be watching for that. in the meantime, i'm still ok with my treo, though i'm eyeing the TMo PocketPC phone with interest, and waiting on final specs for the iPaq 5000 series. If the one with GPRS has a mic/speaker set up to use as a phone (unlike the t-w) then it automatically becomes a major competitor in my book - best screens, etc. And with that very cool soft keyboard which goes in landscape mode, I could get by w/o the built in keyboard, or carry one as an accessory when traveling.

TM
    Good points Greg,

The Tungsten W is a data-centric device targeted to the Blackberry market, not the mobile phone market. This pda is an upgrade to the i705 and not a competitor to the Treo. The T|W does not have a mic or speaker just like the blackberry. Palm is foucing on the enterprise market with this device which they see being very profitable for blackberry.