1.    #1  
    I had to rant as I find this unfortunate.

While HP is making some good decisions on the advertising, resource channeling and partnership response compared to Palm, this is just something that comes naturally with a huge company so I dont really consider it all that surprising or really difficult. It was obvious that this was going to happen.

In my opinion, HP is aesthetically and technologically still making bad decisions like Palm, some even worse than them, some complete no brainers.

1) First of all, the build quality of the Veer and Pre 3 seem solid, but the plastic backed gloss finish of the Touchpad is definitely a minus. I dont understand it. Terrible decision.

2) No gesture area on the Touchpad. Completely a disaster. They are creating a fragmentation of UI between their devices. It also leads me into the next point which is:

3) Emulation for Mojo apps. THIS is possibly the worst decision HP made. Having Mojo apps load in that tiny window or have developers create a back button was a complete disaster of a decision. I personally know that it is possible to scale the apps up, and would have been more possible if a gesture area was included on the device. While resizing might have sometimes created odd layout and spaces in the apps, it would have been overlooked in comparison to TINY unusable apps. HP could have had 7000 apps available at launch with their Touchpad if they had put some time and effort into this, but they didn't. This entire decision might doom the pad and OS to failure.

HP: There is a simple fix for this: Give the user options:

Option 1: emulate in window mode

Option 2: scale fullscreen at HTML/CSS level with a gesture area at the bottom of the screen.

Option 3: scale fullscreen at the pixel level like iOS. Incase the HTML/CSS scaling screws up the formatting of the app to the point of un-useability. Same fullscreen gesture area.

4) Removed Classic from the OS. I know not many people used it, but buying the licensing would have been pennies to HP, and a lot of enterprise clients would have enjoyed it, a demographic HP is trying to get a hold of.

5) No devices on Sprint. I know people are blaming Sprint, but I am sure HP could have done SOMETHING to get their devices on the network. Even some ridiculously cheap offer to Sprint would have boosted confidence in their platform amongst legacy fans. Sometimes the cost of a grassroots organization of devout fans is priceless to an organization.

6) Implemented more homebrew features into WebOS 3X. I am still saddened that the amazing work by homebrew patchers has not been more widely implemented into WebOS at this point. The code is basically free for HP to use, and would be an amazing way to boost the features in many core apps like the browser, email client, calendar and messaging app.

7) Better hardware. The hardware is good on the new devices, but lacking in originality and wow factor, which is something that the average consumer looks to first when purchasing a device these days. I know often it is useless and just numbers, but nerdy tech people are often the gateway people that average consumers go to when asking what device they should get. If you dont get the nerds on your side in one way or another, then you are doomed as an electronics corporation.

8) GPU Acceleration in the OS. The lags and sputters need to go now. NOW. Its been far too long. I dont care if an app takes a couple seconds to load, I get that, but taking 4 seconds for the Touchpad to rotate orientations? It hurts. This better be coming in an update sooon.

Thats all I have, there are other nitpicky things but those are the serious offenders.

Any other things I am missing?
    Fire Rubenstein. He is the problem. People give him too much credit for "developing" the Ipod. He didn't do it alone. It was Steve and his team of engineers.
    Document editing and a native calculator app?

Still not understanding what kind of work I can actually get done with this thing, other than Facebook.
    I think HP will eventually right this ship but they have to walk before they run. We all want it yesterday but I don't think it works that way in the tech sector. They clearly don't have the right people in place to take full advantage of what they aquired in Palm. They'll get it figured out soon and that won't be soon enough for most of us but it won't put HP out of business either. I'm a Sprint Pre- launch day owner who's very tired of waiting for a new phone. Heck with the tablet....can't think of a good reason why I need one....I just want a new webOS phone. I'm holding out for the Pre 3 and I know Sprint isn't getting it until January so I'll be leaving them shortly and I'm okay with that. Hopefully in another year or two HP will have a better grasp of this part of their business and all the people flocking to Android devices will be ready to come back to a much improved situation. One can only hope, right?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

5.    #5  
    I have a feeling Ruby is on his way out... I mean have you seen him ONCE in meetings or presentations with the Veer or Touchpad....
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I have a feeling Ruby is on his way out... I mean have you seen him ONCE in meetings or presentations with the Veer or Touchpad....
    I've been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks. For the last few weeks it's been HP guys doing all of the talking. The only time we've heard from Ruby was when Joshua Topolsky reached out to him and asked specific questions.

My take is that HP bought Palm for webOS, and let Ruby keep the Palm division. Increasingly alarmed at the quality of product that division presented on February 9th, the fact that the actual release wouldn't be ready for months more, and that so many software targets are being missed, HP has begun taking over.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Mojo emulation is my biggest gripe with the Touchpad right now. The problem with that is that HP seemingly dropped Mojo cold-turkey. They absolutely refuse to touch it now, despite the fact that the vast majority of apps are running Mojo. They could've developed some algorithm for adapting each app's CSS for a larger screen, and auto-scale images. These are web technologies after all, they are supposed to be resolution-independent and cross-platform. I just can't believe HP could mess it up so badly. It's unimaginable.

This speaks to the bigger problem that the webOS team, one year after acquisition, continues to be way too small. They always say they're hiring, but come on, it's been a whole year already!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums