Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pavvento
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  1.    #1  
    Thought this should be a new thread as it is first confirmation that Apotheker is "in talks". No names were mentioned in the article except for Samsung (talks not confirmed by Apotheker). Excerpts and link below

We are talking to a number of companies, Apotheker said in Beijing, declining to elaborate on details. I can share with you that a number of companies have expressed interest. We are continuing our conversations....
    Samsung Electronics Co. held talks to use WebOS in its smartphones, according to three people with knowledge of the discussions. Apotheker declined to say whether HP and Samsung are having discussions, as did Jason Kim, a Samsung spokesman. ..

HP Is In Talks to License WebOS Software - Bloomberg
    I hope its not just webOS for cars and TV's which they need badly but also other tablet makers.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ), the world’s largest maker of personal computers, is in talks to license its webOS mobile software, Chief Executive Officer Leo Apotheker said in an interview.
    “We are talking to a number of companies,” Apotheker said in Beijing, declining to elaborate on details. “I can share with you that a number of companies have expressed interest. We are continuing our conversations.”
    WebOS would give hardware makers a choice beyond Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system and Microsoft Corp.’s Windows software as they seek to challenge Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s grip on the smartphone and tablet PC markets. For HP, which cut its sales forecast by $1 billion last month, licensing the operating system would help the company strengthen its software operations as PC sales slump.
    Apotheker declined to give a timeframe for deciding on webOS partners, saying “there is no time pressure to do this.”
    Samsung Electronics Co. held talks to use WebOS in its smartphones, according to three people with knowledge of the discussions. Apotheker declined to say whether HP and Samsung are having discussions, as did Jason Kim, a Samsung spokesman.
    A partnership with HP would allow Samsung, which uses Android for its Galaxy Tab tablet computers, to customize devices amid speculation that Google may restrict modifications for phones that use Android, said one of the people, who declined to be named because the talks are private.
    Google, Samsung
    Randall Sarafa, a spokesman for Google, referred to an April post on the company’s blog denying Android design restrictions, and declined to comment further.
    “Samsung will continue to strengthen its relationship with Google to provide ultimate values to customers,” said Samsung’s Kim.
    HP is open to licensing its operating system if third- parties offer design and development improvements, said Jon Rubinstein, the executive in charge of developing webOS, in an interview this month. He declined to say if the company was in discussions with major handset and tablet manufacturers.
    Apotheker, who told employees last month to brace for “another tough quarter” in the July period, said in March that HP plans to put WebOS into a broader range of products and ramp up output to more than 100 million devices a year.
    Android may have recently experienced some defections among developers and consumers. In a June 20 report, Needham & Co. analyst Charlie Wolf said Android’ U.S. market share declined sequentially in the March quarter to 49.5 percent, from 52.4 percent. He predicted it will continue to decline, as more consumers opt for the Apple’s iPhone. Android’s global market share in the quarter increased.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    thanks. we've been asked not to print full news articles and I agree with that request as it is copyrighted content.
    This is a VERY good sign for all WebOS users, to be sure.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

How would this effect the homebrew community? It definately seems as if HP wants to get out of the mobile phone arena, which was obvious with the recent products they released.
    I'm not a big fan of Samsung though. Never had a samsung device with sprint that wasn't a pile of crap with reception problems.
    I wonder if this would be similar to what HTC used to be, the unnamed hardware maker or if these would be branded a Samsung phone featuring webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    How would this effect the homebrew community? It definately seems as if HP wants to get out of the mobile phone arena, which was obvious with the recent products they released.
    I'm not a big fan of Samsung though. Never had a samsung device with sprint that wasn't a pile of crap with reception problems.
    \

That`s what I have been saying since HP bought palm.If they cared about making phones they would not be in talks with any phone manufacturer.Why would they consider Samsung?? Unless it`s to license webos on tv`s. They(Samsung) makes better tv`s then phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    \

That`s what I have been saying since HP bought palm.If they cared about making phones they would not be in talks with any phone manufacturer.Why would they consider Samsung?? Unless it`s to license webos on tv`s. They(Samsung) makes better tv`s then phones.
    I think it has more to do with timeliness than not caring. I imagine it would take a lot of time to bring in the right people and start designing new phones from the ground up than it is to partner with someone. Especially considering Samsung is a large supplier of parts that are in most phones or computers it makes sense.

As HP hinted at, it won't be a straight up licensing deal. It sounds a lot more like Google partnering for a Nexus phone as opposed to just letting any company make a phone with webOS.
    astraith likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    You are, IMO, severely misinterpretting this, as HP getting out of the smarpthone market - au contraire, its more of a wider market for them to penetrate.

JR and LA both indicated that such partnerships would have to bring something "special and unique" to HP for them to consider such a deal. JR went further to explain that it would have to be something HP wasnt already doing, and wouldnt compete with their products.

To most, this means new, innovative hardware designs and formfactors.

I would imagine that Samsung and HTC and others would look at WebOS with salivation streaming from their hardware designers, just dying to design devices with WebOS on them that can take advantage of the OS's uniquess.

HP wants into the mobile arena big time.. seriously, as this is part of their "connected" and "everybody on" concept.. and now, not only will they be producing smartphones themselves, but, they will also be getting licensing fees for additional, unique, perhaps ":boutique" WebOS hardware designs from other companies, as well, which helps spread the WebOS brand around.

It's a total win-win, and will actually help sell more WebOS devices that THEY themselves make, in the long run.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

astraith likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Topolsky site reached out to Rubenstein for clarification and got some more insight, namely that a phone manufacturer is not off the table but their primary emphasis needs to be webOS. I suppose HP needs to consider partnering to get more users and perhaps also phone users in addition to other sectors as HP is not known in phones:

see excerpt below:

'We reached out to Palm webOS chief Jon Rubinstein and he clarified HPs angle for us, making it clear they wont just take anybody: If someone wants to really invest, and potentially help develop webOS, were interested in talking to them. We threw out a theoretical about HTC doing Android, Windows Phone 7 and webOS simultaneously, and Jon expounded: If it was the primary one they were going to do and they were going to add real value back into the ecosystem, and oh by the way they were doing some Android or Microsoft stuff, of course wed consider it but if were going to be one of 5 or 6 OSs, its hard to see it wouldnt make any sense. '

HP
  12.    #12  
    I like this site paidcontent.org. They are confused about whether HP wants to control the experience end to end like what they heard from Kerris or whether HP wants to be more like Android:

A Tale Of Two HPs? Total Control Of WebOS And Licensing Both On The Table | paidContent
    That part is interesting. Whoever wants to get into webOS has to make webOS their primary OS. I have to wonder if anyone will actually bite though. Android is a cash cow for everyone right now. Given the history of webOS, will anyone be willing to brush that cash cow to the side and focus on webOS? Who would take that gamble?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It sounds like Samsung and HP working together on making WebOS better, not a deal where anyone can make a WebOS phone. Which Samsung makes not only phones but TV's and other devices. It would be a good thing.