Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i would like to know if this affects anyone decision to continue or discontinue supporting HPalm and webOS?
    I'm loving it, seeing as it makes my jump from a 16gb to 32gb only 50 bucks more. I'm happy, although i still would love to see a webOS phone for sprint.
    "We are working on alternative plans and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more"

Still on their webpage.

A $50 mail-in rebate to what amounts to less than 10% of the affected users... not really making things right. Are they for real?
    I saw no reference in the email that said this was how they planned to make things right...
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    "We are working on alternative plans and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more"

Still on their webpage.

A $50 mail-in rebate to what amounts to less than 10% of the affected users... not really making things right. Are they for real?

I wish they had never even made a "making it right" comment. Why do they owe me anything? They sold me a phone and it does what it is supposed to do. I CHOSE to be an early adopter. That technology has made mine obsolete is just the price of admission. And, to act as if we were supposed to FOREVER get the OTAs (as if that same technology increase isn't affecting support for legacy devices) is folly.

Add to that the fact that the company from whom I bought was swallowed up by another. Also, BOTH companies have been accepting (supportive?) of homebrew....so, I think they have treated me quite well.

The platform moved on. They owe me nothing. I'll accept what I can get.

I bought a car that does not include bluetooth and navigation (neither was available at the time). The car company does not need to "make it right" for me.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I bought a car that does not include bluetooth and navigation (neither was available at the time). The car company does not need to "make it right" for me.
    Did the car company promise to update your car with these things for free when they became available, like we were promised flash?

.... yeah, i didn't think so.

apples and oranges bro.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    What has any other company in tech ever done for you for upgrading your device?
    I think $50 off is a great move by HP and showing some thanks to the users caught in the transition. I would have preferred $50 app catalog, but a mail in rebate is still money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    Did the car company promise to update your car with these things for free when they became available, like we were promised flash?

apples and oranges bro.
    Did you buy the phone based upon that "promise"?

<edit>

apples and oranges bro.
    Flash is from Adobe... Also, Flash on a Pre minus? It's a good thing that Flash didn't come.

Secondly, what if your car company was bought out? What responsibility does the new owner have to the previous owners promises? There was no contract that said Flash or anything else was coming. No breach of contract means nothing is owed.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

DANG IT, Pogey!!!!

LOL
    Where in the emails does it even say this is the "making things right" response from HP?
    DANG IT, Pogey!!!!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Flash is from Adobe... Also, Flash on a Pre minus? It's a good thing that Flash didn't come.

Secondly, what if your car company was bought out? What responsibility does the new owner have to the previous owners promises? There was no contract that said Flash or anything else was coming. No breach of contract means nothing is owed.
    while I agree with the sentiment in general, this is very misleading. IF (and yes a big if) they made a promise and that promise induced you to make a purchase, then yes something would be owed.

Also, if a company buys another, it buys there assets as well as its liabilities, so IF (another big if) something is owed, it would still be owed by the other company. Now, they promise to "make things right" is completely vague and unenforceable. Nonetheless, they did something. Whether you like it or not, it was more than they had to do. Take it or leave it, accept or move on.

There is only so long that this complaining should be permitted to dominate this forum. Let everyone take the rest of their day to complain about the supposed inadequacy of HP's move. Then make your decision: accept it, or move on.
    I thought it was a nice gesture from HP to offer the $50 rebate towards a 32 GB TouchPad because they were not obligated to offer anything (flash/2.0update was promised by Palm). The thing that upsets me is the fact that Sprint up to now has refused to offer any of the newer webOS phones to us. Yeah I thought the rebate was cool but it would not have made a difference with my decision, I was staying with webOS anyways and will even switch carriers to get the Pre 3 if i have to.

One more thing, if HP had not purchased Palm where would webOS be right now?
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 06/29/2011 at 01:03 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Did you buy the phone based upon that "promise"?

<edit>
    that was one of the reasons.

we saw pleanty of videos showing flash on a pre- and were told, by palm and adobe, that it was coming. thats the bottom line.

and regading your point about the responsibilities of a new company, i think this excerpt from the post quoted below covers that....

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    while I agree with the sentiment in general, this is very misleading. IF (and yes a big if) they made a promise and that promise induced you to make a purchase, then yes something would be owed.

Also, if a company buys another, it buys there assets as well as its liabilities, so IF (another big if) something is owed, it would still be owed by the other company.
    I wish they had never even made a "making it right" comment. Why do they owe me anything? They sold me a phone and it does what it is supposed to do. I CHOSE to be an early adopter. That technology has made mine obsolete is just the price of admission. And, to act as if we were supposed to FOREVER get the OTAs (as if that same technology increase isn't affecting support for legacy devices) is folly.

Add to that the fact that the company from whom I bought was swallowed up by another. Also, BOTH companies have been accepting (supportive?) of homebrew....so, I think they have treated me quite well.

The platform moved on. They owe me nothing. I'll accept what I can get.

100% agree.
    that was one of the reasons.

we saw pleanty of videos showing flash on a pre- and were told, by palm and adobe, that it was coming. thats the bottom line.

and regading your point about the responsibilities of a new company, i think this excerpt from the post quoted below covers that....
    I don't think that a statement from a company qualifies as a liability that the buying company must address.

18.    #18  
    I don't think that a statement from a company qualifies as a liability that the buying company must address.
    well, according to the changelog for 1.4 the flash plugins we added and we were supposed to be able to get it through the app catalogue.

webOS 1.4 Changelog! | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

even though they put that in writing thats not good enough for you, right?
    I still don't remember ever hearing them "promise" or "pinky-swear" or anything like that. I remember at the developer meeting, the speaker, (Josh M.) saying it was coming to all devices OTA, not an official press release.

After the uproar, Ruby said they'll make things right when the Veer, TouchPad and Pre3 are released. Although it's on AT&T, you can practically get the Veer for next to nothing, they gave a discount on the (more expensive) TouchPad, and the Pre3 is still in the queue. HP says this is an "early adopter" discount, not a "making it right" discount, that's probably why it only lasts a month.

I really want the Pre3. I have a first-day Sprint Pre that's barely holding on; they're is no way it could run Flash!

It bothered me for a while when PS3 dropped PS2 support. after awhile, I play 98% PS3 games. When everybody gets a Pre3(on Sprint) we'll all look back and laugh(hopefully)!

People make promises, businesses (should) make plans. They're already (really late) to the party, looking back will only slow them down. HP/Palm needs to say as little as possible these days, except what they know they can deliver on.

TouchPad: availability-summer, Check! Please keep it consistent, HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by VzwPrePlus View Post
    If that's all they are offering I am gone. I would have considered $50 off a Pre 3 fair but off a high end Touchpad I don't want or need no thanks. I plan on migrating over to Android in Sept once my upgrade is available on Verizon. I will not consider nor recommend WebOS to anybody else in the future. This platform is dying much faster than I could have imagined under HP's poor leadership. A good OS is just not enough to save WebOS by itself.
    They still may offer a $50 rebate on the Pre3, its release date hasn't even been announced yet! They need to get through this launch first. If this doesn't go well, there may not even be a Pre3!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast