Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Who should webOS be licensed to?

The bottom half of this article gives a frank discussion of who is best to deploy webOS, (besides HP of course)...

Please use the link to reach the entire article.

take care,

Jay

Smartphone Vendors Learn That Commoditization Is Hell

Joel West

Smartphone Vendors Learn That Commoditization Is Hell - Seeking Alpha

Today, Chowdhry suggests that the big three should license webOS from HP (HPQ). Two aspects of the report makes sense. One is that webOS is a modern, high quality smartphone OS. The other is that HP has negligible share and isn’t competing with them.

Still, the major handset makers are no more interested in sharing a standard with webOS than they were with Symbian. And the high royalties ($50-75/device) that Chowdhry proposes are not going to fly with companies that pride themselves on hardware designs.

WebOS and its (former) owner Palm are really a US brand. I think HP’s best shot would be to approach either Motorola (which is still US-centric) or Sony Ericsson (which is even more seriously in trouble) to see if they’re interested. HP could continue to use webOS for tablets and other devices.

Samsung (SSNLF.PK) is a lost cause. They put small bets on every open platform (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Android) while still hoping their proprietary bada platform will catch on outside Korea.

After two years of negligible sales, whatever window webOS has as a smartphone platform has just about closed. It takes more than a better mousetrap to get traction in a platform market: it also requires developers, hardware vendors, distribution and end users.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Who would be the best candidate..... HTC!!!! This is the only one I would care about. Thanks for the post NEWS HOUND!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Samsung
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    i dont think they should license it out. Right now, they are a perfect blend of walled garden and open. Opening it up further would just make it that much harder to maintain consistency. One of the the things i hate about Android is that its pretty impossible for developers to test there apps on every device making the experiences extremely varied; even among similarly spec'd devices. I'd hate to see that happen on webOS as well.

unless ofcourse they went the microsoft route and had a strict set of standards....
    i'm sick of HTC, i say Samsung or LG
    how about nobody?!! How about they just make good phones?! The pre 2 is a better build then the pre and the pre3 is much better then both so I don't think they have a problem with making good hardware.They just need to do a few things.

1.Make better phones with much better specs.(which they are capable of)
    2.Release phones alot faster
    3.No more small phones like the veer.

I'm sorry if I'm being selfish but I like the thought of webos being to one company and not on any other devices.I think it would be better to license it to someone other then phone makers.
    asus
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    how about nobody?!! How about they just make good phones?! The pre 2 is a better build then the pre and the pre3 is much better then both so I don't think they have a problem with making good hardware.They just need to do a few things.

I'm sorry if I'm being selfish but I like the thought of webos being to one company and not on any other devices.I think it would be better to license it to someone other then phone makers.
    Hi, I don't think your being selfish, your being honest... which is why I posted the article in the 1st place. I wanted everyone's honest input.

Take care & Thank you,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Forget phones. The real opportunity is for PC/Laptop Makers. Lenovo, Dell etc..

There are many good reasons for this. They are currently loosing out to the iPad, especially at the low end. Android, so far is failing to gain traction on tablets. With WebOS running on Windows as well as tablets it provides them with commonality between platforms. Like HP they can leverage their current PC sales to get people using webOS and when these people choose a tablet, it would then make sense to get something compatible.

If you have to license to someone, it's best that they have a strong desire for them to be strongly committed to it's success. Samsung is already doing fine with Android. While they could make some great hardware, webOS would only be a sideshow for them.
    ANYONE but SAMSUNG.

Most certainly HTC.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    HTC for sure. SAMSUNG makes the worst products. I'll never buy anything from them again. Generally people who love samsung have not had the privilege of owning a better brand.
    Back in the day though... samsung was the ****. as of late they just keep pumping cheap feature full devices that are poor in long term quality.
    I seriously doubt any phone maker would be interested or beneficial for WebOS. The licensing needs to focus on embedded devices like fridges and cars. I can imagine a really excellent in-car system with music, navigation and downloadable apps, add a bit of touch-to-share and you have a really compelling device but it would need to be developed by an OEM that already deals with in-car audo/nav systems. That's a perfect example of where licensing makes good sense. I'm thinking someone like Blaupunkt who already make many of the systems used by car manufacturers.
    If I had to pick one manufacturer, Samsung.
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    HTC for sure. SAMSUNG makes the worst products. I'll never buy anything from them again. Generally people who love samsung have not had the privilege of owning a better brand.
    Back in the day though... samsung was the ****. as of late they just keep pumping cheap feature full devices that are poor in long term quality.
    Yup we all hate Samsung TVs, computers, and washing machines.

By your reasoning, no one should be buying the current crop of Hyundai cars either since they were crap in the 80s right? Forget Sonata, Genesis, Equus, and the upcoming Veloster then. How's this sound: "Generally people who love Hyundai have not had the privilege of owning a better brand."
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post

I agree with you except for the Veer part. I definitely could not use a veer, but my wife is getting one, and i definitely think there is a market for the phone.

I love the fact that hp is the lone hardware maker for webOS. I would be uneasy of other manufacturers getting their grubby paws on webOS and ruining it due to crappy implementation or poor hardware. HP would have to be super strict in who they let, and what they let. IT IS NOT AN OPEN PLATFORM like Android.

I really believe though that HP will start pushing a ton of new hardware out starting later this year, and start staying up specwise with the daily android phone.( screen resolution, processor)
    I would say anyone but make sure they are not able to make any changes to the look and feel of the OS, they need to differentiate on design and specs.

Samsung with it SAMOLED Plus technology, would be great for a webOS device. However, I wouldn't be averse to a HTC EVO3D with webOS or a Dell venue Pro with webOS or a Nokia N9 with webOS. Arguably, the most successful Android phone for HTC was an HTC HD2 running android (HTC Evo). So I am sure other manufacturers can bring a lot to the webOS community.
    Samsung. And I say with customizations and custom launcher, lockscreen and productivity apps.
    Well it's official.

HP Is in Talks to License WebOS Software, Chief Executive Apotheker Says - Bloomberg

I'm very lukewarm to this. While it will probably be good for HP and get us the desired hardware we all want, it will make webOS much more like Android. Fragmentation will become a real issue. They are obviously open to design input from these companies according to the article. I can't help but think this will marks the true end of webOS as we've known it. Eventually you'll have HP's version, Samsung version, etc. Updates will take longer and not be consistent over all platforms. Maybe they will work out a better system than Android but I fear it will eventually be similar. I cringe thinking about HTC putting Sense over webOS. I know there are positives here and I don't blame HP for looking out for their stockholders but how tightly integrated will the webOS ecsystem be with 3 to 4 manufacturers making handsets and tablets with their own design flourishes in the software. There is no way it will be consistent over all products.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It will be interesting to see which phone manufacturers want to license webOS and have an alternative to Android.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    It will be interesting to see which phone manufacturers want to license webOS and have an alternative to Android.
    Hi all,

agreed!

Take care,

Jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast