1.    #1  
    I would appreciate input from a website designed for mobile users in the Central Texas area...

home.kxan.com/handheld/radar.html

Due to exteme limitations in the palm os for animations, the quicktime animation loop is only available to pocketpc users, until we get palm os 5... then I'll make that animation whatever format works for palms/treos/etc.

Thanks,

Shawn R.
    thanks, we can definitely use this. Especially for the bikers (it sucks riding down the road seeing dark, ominous clouds ahead and not knowing if it's gonna hit me) I hope you can get the animation working for us palm os people so we can see which way the rain is coming!.

Chris
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  3.    #3  
    Regarding animation... There are a few ways of doing it... I will put a higher priority on this...

I have to stick to pure html code, but I think I may have a few tricks.

Any html experts out that that know of an html trick for this... I'll try it.

Thanks,

Shawn R.
    Weathers great, but could you bug the news guys to update their stories over the weekend? Not much good reading stories posted from 10am Friday. There should be a way they can have the page updaded automatically?
    Christo

There are NO Limits
  5.    #5  
    Check out the animated html radar link at the bottom of the menu...

I need to put a link to return to the menu but it's animated radar created from pure html code (no plugins required - works on everything).

Shawn
    Seems the html radar link just continually tries to reconnect - loops till you go to another web site manually. The other radar links are also way outdated. Will auto-update work in the future? I need to know where the rain is headed, not where it was over the weekend
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    Nice site. Been looking to make Palm-compatible radar available, any chance you can share technical info on how you did it?

BTW, my two Treo-designed sites:

FAA Airport Delays: http://www.ab2m.net/faa

Ham Radio Callsign Lookup: http://www.ab2m.net/fcc
  8.    #8  
    SGI O2 running Weather Central Software... products are derived from single site nexrad data and rendered on a flat 2d map. It's updated every 6 minutes and the animation is a work in progress.

Depending on where you live, you may have a tv station in your area with the same software... email and ask if they use weather central products... if so... tell them to look at my site and they can ask me for details.

Shawn

www.absaustin.com
    home.kxan.com/handheld/radar.html
  9.    #9  
    By the way...

I'm KD5SQH

Just thought you'd like to know.

Shawn
    I can check, thanks for the info.

73 de AB2M!
    Wow, that is REALLY cool! Looks awesome in color.

Do I understand correctly, you are Shawn Rutherford, the morning weather anchor for KXAN? My goodness, a brush with celebrity on TreoCentral.

I'll be scouring local (SF) websites for Austin weather news. Next time a nasty front threatens to blow through central Texas, I can't wait to pull it up on live radar on my Treo.

Keep up the awesome work.

Bbonnn (misplaced Austinite)
    Even when refreshing with Blazer, I'm getting pics from Sun/Mon. Not every 6 minutes (that'd be great). Is anyone else getting current images? Once this works, I promise to only look at KXAN from now on!

bonn- I know Austin is great, but you can't ask for better than the Bay area. Just remember back to the hot Octobers, much less August. I know weather-dude, the cold front is coming....... isn't it always
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    All of you Austinites out there, do you have serious coverage problems in Austin, TX on your Treo 600?
    I just stumbled onto this site and saw the post on radar coverage...does it still exist -- I can't seem to get the site to load on my treo?

And in resonse to the most recent question here, I have not had problems with my new sprint coverage in the Austin area. However, I previously used AT&T, and have heard that almost everything is an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikolar
    I just stumbled onto this site and saw the post on radar coverage...does it still exist -- I can't seem to get the site to load on my treo?

And in resonse to the most recent question here, I have not had problems with my new sprint coverage in the Austin area. However, I previously used AT&T, and have heard that almost everything is an improvement.
    The link in the original post is no longer valid. Try mobile.kxan.com. I didn't see any radar animation.

...David
    Quote Originally Posted by lglidden
    All of you Austinites out there, do you have serious coverage problems in Austin, TX on your Treo 600?
    I have T-Mobile and the coverage is pretty good in my opinion. Like with all carriers there are dead spots but I think many spots that were dead in the past are no longer dead as they have added towers. I still have pretty crappy coverage at my house (on the east side of Round Rock at 79 & 1460) and that hasn't changed in the 2-3 years I have been with T-Mobile. Maybe it's a geographic issue.

...David