1.    #1  
    I had a friend send me a "news link" about the TouchPad. Turns out it was old news - their press announcment about the release of the HP. I took another look anyway, just because I was already there, and noticed this at the bottom:

This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP's businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the achievement of expected operational and financial results; and other risks that are described in HP's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2011 and HP's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2010. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
    I know that's a plateful of legal-sounding mumbo jumbo, but in essence it says "What we're saying now are our current plans, and told to you in good faith. Things may happen that change those plans"

I know that the quoted legal mumbo jumbo would be too much to say at every spoken announcement from HP, and probably even a lot at in print. Besides, most folks won't read it anyay.

Even my synopsis would get old hearing it repeated.

I suspect that instead of repeating this stuff with every announcement HP makes, they depend on a little common sense to apply to their "promises".

Sometimes though, depending on common sense just doesn't work.
    Required footnote for financial reporting numbers, was the press release a financial one?
  3.    #3  
    Had to go back and check. It looks like it's the regular press release announcing the TP. If you go to HP - United States | Laptop Computers, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more, select Newsroom, then More News Releases, and scroll down to June 9, you'll see it.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think if look at ne companies earnings statement u will come accross the same line. its business. things change. u look forward not backwards.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Damn, I was hoping for a new car to make things right....
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Required footnote for financial reporting numbers, was the press release a financial one?
    Any smart publicly-traded company will put a disclaimer like that on every announcement they make, because the Securities & Exchange Commission requires it. Basically, if they're not announcing something that's available immediately, it's forward-looking and might not happen.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    It's all politics if you ask me: They say what you want to hear so that you will give them something they want (your vote, your money, your support, etc). Sometimes they follow through in hopes of building a loyal group of followers but even that is just to get your vote/money/support again in the future!

Palm promised updates to sell phones (how many people did I hear were promised upgrades for missing features prior to Feb 9th?) - something HP is already doing with the TouchPad! Then, in Feb, HPalm promised new hardware to keep users and generate buzz. Likewise, they gave out this "rebate" just to entice you to pay more for a product most weren't even looking into originally.

The bottom line is that HP is a business and is in it for the money - not you, the user. Once they have your money, they could really care less about you outside of getting you to buy apps [so they can make money off of someone else's hard work] or get you to upgrade. Furthermore, they will do anything to make you pay more ($100 for 16gb of flash anyone? Forget about nich markets such as Photography where a card-reader and HDMI-out would actually boost sales).

Likewise, they try to run campaigns to justify their huge price which, again, is all politics. It has nothing to do with perceived customer quality compared to the "competition". Rather it is:
    1) They want to make money off of the webOS fans - developers and users alike - before the reality of the TouchPad hits. (Talk it up to get pre-orders; bribe developers with false promises of advertising, touchpad loaners, discounts, [etc] - all to be announced after the release - while encouraging them to buy real test hardware asap to be a part of the TP's launch).
    2) They don't have apps/users to offset the cost through app sales. So, if their investment fails, they can at least minimize the financial hit by charging more upfront.

This is why playing the "wait and see" game helps. Prices are bound to fall, you can see what promises actually come to fruit (since you're not a customer - yet - the company fill motivated to win you over), and you can evaluate if the investment into a new ecosystem is truly worth it. Of course, the downside is that you don't have the latest and greatest but I can live with that if it will save me money in the long run! Or, I can at least take my $500-$600 a buy a kicking laptop that does everything I need an more too. :-D
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    And the funny thing is that everyone believes them. That's why everyone loves Richard Kerris so much: time and time again he tells people what they want to hear, without fail. They hired him because that's what he's good at. I see him for what he is. The man makes a lot of promises but almost always fails to deliver, just like HP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The bottom line is that HP is a business and is in it for the money ...
    Holy Cow! A business in it for the money? Call the Marines! Call the President! Call the French Foreign Legion!

You, of course, being a developer, have no interest in money. Neither do I, or any of the rest of us here. When offered a raise, I turn it down, and I am thinking of telling my boss that I would rather work for free.
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    Holy Cow! A business in it for the money? Call the Marines! Call the President! Call the French Foreign Legion!

You, of course, being a developer, have no interest in money. Neither do I, or any of the rest of us here. When offered a raise, I turn it down, and I am thinking of telling my boss that I would rather work for free.
    I know! It's amazing isn't it?! Who would have thought that HP is in the business for the money and not to make their users happy for nothing?!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Of course every business wants to make money but on the flip side if you don't make your users/customers happy then you are not going to be in business very long as you will make very little money.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    And the funny thing is that everyone believes them. That's why everyone loves Richard Kerris so much: time and time again he tells people what they want to hear, without fail. They hired him because that's what he's good at. I see him for what he is. The man makes a lot of promises but almost always fails to deliver, just like HP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My speculation is that Kerris might be behind that 300 app number which is higher than Android and Playbook tablet debut numbers even though webOS phones have less apps than the other 2 platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Damn, I was hoping for a new car to make things right....
    That's what those Mini's with the Veer advertising on them for for, right?