Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #1  
    I would like to suggest that fans of webOS products perform a little community action to promote our favorite products.

    Examples:
    • Post homemade flyers posted at your church, college bulletin boards, work bulletin boards, grocery stores, etc.,.
    • Post a video about why you love your device and/or webOS
    • Post a video of your device in use
    • Write a blog entry about your webOS experience
    • Seek out new users and help them on sites other than pre|central (and then give them the link here)
    • Show and tell - show your friends and family webOS and how great it is
    • Take your device out in public (i.e. when you get a TouchPad, take it to the grocery store with your grocery list, or with you to research products while at another store, get it seen out in the world)
    • When shopping if you see HP computers open a browser on them to www.hpwebos.com and leave it open for the next person
    • Leave random post it notes extolling a virtue of webOS or a webOS product and your first name (i.e. webOS > Synergy, pulls it together - Michael H. or HP TouchPad > Can't wait - Susan C.) (would be awesome to see post-its all over these empty HP TouchPad displays)
    • Respond (responsibly and honestly) to web reviews, correcting or confirming what other users say about webOS products
    • Encourage anyone you know who's a developer, or is thinking about learning development to try out webOS/mojo/enyo/ares
    • Plan meetups in your area to help new users with webOS (meetup.com, craigslist, bulletin boards, etc.,.)
    • Contribute to webOSinternals
    • Do any of the above and mention your favorite app and app developer
    • SPREAD THIS LIST AND ADD MORE IDEAS
  2. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #2  
    what do u do for a living -=X ?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  3. #3  
    Viral marketing(like the videos you mentioned) and word of mouth is always good, but HP really needs to do a better job on it's own. No flyers though, they can get taken down. But You Tube user videos are an excellent idea anyway. I think reviews from real users help.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    perhaps a tattoo on our forehead that reads: i love webos
  5. #5  
    I am now convinced that the only way to promote webos is to lend people one for a week.
  6. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    what do u do for a living -=X ?
    I'm a user experience engineer for a Fortune 50ish company. If you're suggesting I work for HP in any way shape or form you would be incorrect.
  7. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    perhaps a tattoo on our forehead that reads: i love webos
    If that's what floats your boat, but not something I'd want to have hanging around for a life time. Especially since some people might read it as "I love eggs" or even "I love balls"
  8. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am now convinced that the only way to promote webos is to lend people one for a week.
    That's another perfectly valid option for those who can do so.
  9. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Viral marketing(like the videos you mentioned) and word of mouth is always good, but HP really needs to do a better job on it's own. No flyers though, they can get taken down. But You Tube user videos are an excellent idea anyway. I think reviews from real users help.
    I think it goes without saying that most of the onus is on HP to make their products successful.

    I understand your point about flyers. What I have seen though is that sometimes a flyer is creative enough that before it gets removed it gets photographed, shared, and talked about. It's a butterfly effect. Regardless, it's just a suggestion.
  10. #10  
    I have attempted to show people how easy this thing is to use and they almost always never get it. I think the people who do get it, are mostly people who their family members have one so they can spend some time with it. And I think the current ads are a waste of time.
  11. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I'm a user experience engineer for a Fortune 50ish company. If you're suggesting I work for HP in any way shape or form you would be incorrect.
    haha no way may i thought u werein marketing of some sort or have way too much time on ure hands to think about all those things to do!!
    i thought it was funny but ure a fan =D thats cool haha

    I hope HP reads ure posts and maybe hires u for some help driving web os !
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  12. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    haha no way may i thought u werein marketing of some sort or have way too much time on ure hands to think about all those things to do!!
    i thought it was funny but ure a fan =D thats cool haha

    I hope HP reads ure posts and maybe hires u for some help driving web os !
    Well, marketing at the end of the day is about understanding user psychology. User experience engineering uses many of the same principles.

    It just sort of popped into my head today while I was at Best Buy with my daughter. I was looking at the new TouchSmart and noticed half of the touch screen all-in-one machines on that table were turned off. I had to turn them on to see how well they worked. Doing that sparked a conversation between myself and another couple who were looking at the same machines. While webOS didn't factor into the conversation, it did make me think:

    1) how little information it takes to give someone confidence to make a purchase
    2) none of those many, many HP screens showed anything beyond just that one HP product itself
    3) how many people leave a store and leave some small remnant, finger prints on a screen, a picture in a phone/tablet/camera, a name or message left on a game system or computer, words from an overheard conversation that linger in someone else's brain

    So I thought I should come here and see if I can get people to leave something a little more substantial behind in support of a product that they like/love/want to see succeed.
  13. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have attempted to show people how easy this thing is to use and they almost always never get it. I think the people who do get it, are mostly people who their family members have one so they can spend some time with it. And I think the current ads are a waste of time.
    I hear you. It does completely depend on the individual. Some people learn more through doing, some through hearing, some through visual. Do what works for you and the people you connect with.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have attempted to show people how easy this thing is to use and they almost always never get it. I think the people who do get it, are mostly people who their family members have one so they can spend some time with it. And I think the current ads are a waste of time.
    Do any of those people use iOS or Android?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    I develop apps, so I like to think I'm doing my part already, but my second favorite suggestion was leaving demo computers open to hpwebos.com. I'll do that next time I'm at Best Buy.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I would like to suggest that fans of webOS products perform a little community action to promote our favorite products.

    Examples:
    ...
    I'll start as soon as HP starts paying me for this.
    Seriously, do you have too much time, or is webOS your one and only hobby?
    Using and liking a webOS phone is not my personal crusade.
    I actually convinced 3 of my friends to get a webOS phone, but without much effort. I got one and being the tech guy in my circle of friends they were interested, I showed them and explained what's so great about it, end of story.
    No offense to you, but I don't get why I should do all this. This is HP's job. Designing, writing, printing, paying for and distributing flyers? Uhm, no.
  17. #17  
    I've been posting lots of webOS related stuff on FB... even though only one of my friends would care (and even he recently jumped ship to Epic b/c of his failing pre- hardware)... The 3 touchpad videos explaining synergy, just type, and notifications are the best I've seen so far and they went straight to my FB page.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    <snip>
    He's not saying you should do this. He's asking for volunteers to "do their part". From what you said, you've already done your part, so I don't see the reason for your mini-rant.

    Plus, HP has started to "pay" prominent members of the community who are particularly enthusiastic about webOS. They gave away free Veers to this select group.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  19. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I'll start as soon as HP starts paying me for this.
    Seriously, do you have too much time, or is webOS your one and only hobby?
    Using and liking a webOS phone is not my personal crusade.
    I actually convinced 3 of my friends to get a webOS phone, but without much effort. I got one and being the tech guy in my circle of friends they were interested, I showed them and explained what's so great about it, end of story.
    No offense to you, but I don't get why I should do all this. This is HP's job. Designing, writing, printing, paying for and distributing flyers? Uhm, no.
    I'm not suggesting that anyone MUST do anything. I'm suggesting that if they feel comfortable being an advocate for the product here are some ideas. I'm certainly not saying do everything, but from what you said you're already out there being an advocate for the product, without getting paid by HP.

    Sure I have tons of time! Instead of working 50 hours a week, spending time with any of my 5 kids, being a Scout counselor on two subjects, acting as tech-support for my extended family, spending time with my wife, reading, writing, or all that other non-sense, I've chosen to troll forums and do HPs job for them as the driving force in my life.
  20. #20  
    I meant no offense
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions