1.    #1  
    Finally some news about this from a story on Reuters, (excerpts and link below):
    Essentially, HP is in early stage talks with the music labels and additionally HP, itself,
    has not defined what its service should be.
    Source thinks 6 months before ready to debut.
    Disappointing, I suppose, but perhaps realistic.
    edit: in rereading the story, seems like a little spin (no pun intended) by these "sources." HP did buy Nutsie and talks are heating up with the labels, according to the article, perhaps the spin is in the quotes so as to put pressure on HP to negotiate.
    On the other hand, Spotify has 4 of the US labels reportedly signed onto its service, so a US launch should be imminent, HP does need to finalize its arrangements so it can be competitive.

"...music industry sources caution, as recently as this week, that the discussions remain in the early stages, and that HP has yet to set up parameters for what it wants to do-or even a timeline.

"They're debating doing something like Qriocity for a variety of media, which can be delivered on any HP device," a major-label executive says. "We don't know how serious they are." That's because HP has been down this path before...
    "They haven't shut the door on partnering," but that would depend on what services they ultimately decide to include, one source says. "In their talks with the majors, they're trying to narrow down what their service will look like."...
    Meanwhile, sources are unsure about how quickly HP could come to market, with some saying that nothing would be likely for at least six months. Moreover, sources say that HP has been on the back burner for the majors while they place most of their attention on negotiations with Apple, Google and Amazon. But if HP decides to go forward it wouldn't necessarily be the last to market with a full-blown service, as all three of the aforementioned companies have a way to go to achieve that very goal too.

In addition to discussions about building a music service, HP also is seeking to extend relations with labels in order to have better access to high-profile artists that can help promote their products, sources say.

Recently, HP has had high profile commercial endorsement from Alicia Keys talking about how her music sounds like it was meant to on Hewlett-Packard equipment."

Hewlett-Packard in talks for building cloud service | Reuters
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/10/2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Interesting...I hope they workout something useful so services with HP like Qriocity and Nutsie can finally be explored. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Sorli...
    more than that, I think they need cloud storage and ability to look at the cloud through a PC
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    HP will do something. Their acquisitions aren't just for sh*ts and giggles. Leo said at Discovery that HP is building a open cloud market for consumers and enterprise. Market is the word that should have been everyone's focus as that was the true indicator of what they're planning to do. Heck, go back to the Feb 9 event when they mentioned having Dreamworks movies in the HP movie store. My gut tells me that HP is working on a movie and music purchase & rental store.
    Last edited by playboy; 06/12/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    to be honest i think its more important for them to build on their cloud service. music and movie stores now are a dime a dozen and between amazon and netflix and voodoo there is not much else.
    if they can pull an apple and have us upload all of our multimedia, now that would be sweet
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Once again webos is is behind.

HP should just make deals with google and amazon and integrate their music services.

Also there no need to touch to share a picture when it is pushed to every iOS device you own automatically.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

HP should just make deals with google and amazon and integrate their music services.

Also there no need to touch to share a picture when it is pushed to every iOS device you own automatically.
    Amazon's and googles don't require licensing. They also suck. You need to upload all your music, which takes a long time.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    HP will do something. Their acquisitions are just for sh*ts and giggles. Leo said at Discovery that HP is building a open cloud market for consumers and enterprise. Market is the word that should have been everyone's focus as that was the true indicator of what they're planning to do. Heck, go back to the Feb 9 event when they mentioned having Dreamworks movies in the HP movie store. My gut tells me that HP is working on a movie and music purchase & rental store.
    Agreed with Nimer that Amazon is problematic. Interestingly it won't load any of my ripped CDs that I ripped through Apple's lossless format, I should have ripped them with mp3 and l'll have to go back now and do it, wasting more of my time. Also Amazon is accessed through the browser meaning only my tinny laptop speakers can play it instead of my stereo which because of the limitations of Apple's airport express will only play itunes music through it. I am longing for HP to do Apple one better in these ways.

Playboy, I thought your post was great, just when I was beginning to be disappointed, you have revived hopes that HP will deliver a streaming and cloud storage music/movie service worth subscribing to. Topolsky I think said on his latest podcast that he has a lot of respect for Kerris's vision and talent for multimedia services, the only question will be whether HP supports him or puts roadblocks in the way.
    I am saying build the music services (like amazon or google) into the music player.

.. Your point?
    Sure it takes a long time the first time. But now I have 10 gb of music I can play from anywhere on any android or pc.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I am saying build the music services (like amazon or google) into the music player.

.. Your point?
    Sure it takes a long time the first time. But now I have 10 gb of music I can play from anywhere on any android or pc.
    Google nor Amazon have closed deals with the studios and their cloud music services are already out. But somehow you think that HP is behind for a service they haven't even released yet even though they're in the process of making deals? Sounds like to me they're further ahead than Google or Amazon. Kind of funny when you think about it isn't it?

You see apparently Google and Amazon were working on their services for quite some time. If you go back and read the Engadget articles from last year around the time of Google I/O there was talk and evidence of Google's music service being introduced. So apparently Google was working on it as far back as a year ago. Heck, more than a year ago. According to more recent articles Google introduced the service when it did because they couldn't come to terms with the music companies.

Yet, HP didn't even close it purchase of Palm until July 2010. How would HP even be ahead of Apple, Google or Amazon knowing what we know about when he deal closed? You do know how long it takes for integration of another organization, right? But if you want to over look that to make your point go right ahead. So then HP made a couple of more purchases months after that in regards to music and cloud services. On Feb 9 we all saw the Dreamworks demo which indicated a movie purchase/rental store service from HP. Months after that we heard of HP preparing a cloud/storage locker and music syncing for your music. And then Leo mentioned last week the HP cloud market. Now you see that articles that indicate that HP is clearly negotiating deals and can get deals if HP wants it and it looks like they do. Apple's intro'd service last and it's still in beta.

Now, looking at the timeline of events it seems all but logical and reasonable for HP to be behind in the introduction of a music and cloud service. At least to the reasonable person. But in your way of thinking HP is behind. I'll concede that they are behind. At most they're behind Apple by 6 months and Google and Amazon by 8 months or so. But they're behind reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    iCloud’s innovative Photo Stream service automatically uploads the photos you take or import on any of your devices and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices and computers. So you can use your iPhone to take a dozen photos of your friends during the afternoon baseball game, and they will be ready to share with the entire group on your iPad (or even Apple TV®) when you return home. Photo Stream is built into the photo apps on all iOS devices, iPhoto® on Macs, and saved to the Pictures folder on a PC. To save space, the last 1,000 photos are stored on each device so they can be viewed or moved to an album to save forever. Macs and PCs will store all photos from the Photo Stream, since they have more storage. iCloud will store each photo in the cloud for 30 days, which is plenty of time to connect your devices to iCloud and automatically download the latest photos from Photo Stream via Wi-Fi.

Source: Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
    And you thought we were doing away with iTunes.... Post PC Indeed ...
    Why do they need deals? To match music for 25 dollars a year?

In what way is amazons service behind?

I am not against nutsie. But hp would be better off embracing multiple music choices for the consumer and integrating the services into the os. (they could add nutsie to that list when it arrives)

Why do they need deals? To match music for 25 dollars a year?

In what way is amazons service behind?

I am not against nutsie. But hp would be better off embracing multiple music choices for the consumer and integrating the services into the os. (they could add nutsie to that list when it arrives)
    Amazon doesn't have deals with the labels. So in that sense they're behind Apple and from the sources close to these deals, is likely behind HP in terms of getting contracts.

You need deals so that your users have a complete package. Some people may want to purchase new music or movies or rent or stream their own music. It also allows the company to rest easier bc you're not worried about some label trying to sue you bc you allow your users to do various things with music they previously purchased. Deals allow you to accomplish those things. That's not a foreign concept.

Who says that HP is going to charge anything let alone $25 to "match music"? I don't know what HP's cloud market and storage locker is going to look like but we'll know soon enough. If one doesn't want to pay the $25 dollars fine. Your choice, but Apple and anyone else that does it has to recoup the cost of operating the servers.

In my opinion, not saying that it's right or wrong, but HP should spend it's time wisely. Spending your time wisely isn't integrating other music and movie services that you don't own into your operating system when you have your own services. If HP wasn't doing a music/movie service, I would agree with you that they should integrate various music/movie service into the os as long as the various companies agreed to it. However, since they're doing their own it would better serve HP to focus on making sure that their product is well integrated.